2014 Cadillac ELR Spy Video - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Cadillac ELR Spy Video

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar LetsRace's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

Re: 2014 Cadillac ELR Spy Video

Quote Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
    How will this car help Cadillac's image? Don't you think a flagship is more important right now? C'mon, GM.
    The way I see it this is an opportunity for cadillac to have a first in the luxury segment. Yes caddy has the V line, CUE, and other things but are not things that are lets say unique. This is an electric full on luxury coupe and that is something that the germans can't say they have. So yes Caddy needs the ELR even if its just to say I have something you don't. And don't worry because that flagship will get here sooner or later and I want it to be the best of its class and I know that caddy can make it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 donmateo's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala LTZ "Nancy"

Two words: Image Utility.
    www.basilonestopshop.com
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Channel: C00120B93
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Customer Service Chat Available

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

You still have to have a flagship in the luxury market that's very well executed. I don't hate the ELR, but I don't see it as a priority.

The electric luxury market isn't very big, and it doesn't really improve Cadillac's image in the luxury market.
    One vehicle was already prototyped and leverages a technology that contributed greatly to the continued existence and elevated profile of the company.

Yes, a proper flagship for Cadillac is needed. But to claim that the ELR is somehow responsible for it not materializing makes little sense.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

ELR will exist to better pay off volt developMent costs plus if it looks hot everyone will admire the brand just that much more,,,,

Says high tech to the world in a responsible way which is the message of the day

Thanks
    My Ride
    1987 Chevrolet R10

How will this car help Cadillac's image? Don't you think a flagship is more important right now? C'mon, GM.
    This is a win-win situation, when you think about it. First, it establishes Cadillac as a viable option for those who are eco-conscious with an ego to boot. Then, it allows GM to capitalize on the Voltec platform that could help them turn from a loss to a profit with the Volt/ELR production. If they can add different body styles, layouts, and configurations, it would be a game changer for GM's electric vehicle program.

In the sea of new automotive faces,
    there's nothing like the appreciation and beauty of an older model. Let's represent!

~ZvetteGuy

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

With Volts making GM money on every one built, it makes perfect sense for Cadillac to enter this electric-hungry market instead of building one of the most beautiful cars (Ciel) most have ever seen.
    Note heavy sarcasm.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 MisterMe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Pontiac G8/2009/White

Quote Originally Posted by ZvetteGuy View Post
    This is a win-win situation, when you think about it. First, it establishes Cadillac as a viable option for those who are eco-conscious with an ego to boot. Then, it allows GM to capitalize on the Voltec platform that could help them turn from a loss to a profit with the Volt/ELR production. If they can add different body styles, layouts, and configurations, it would be a game changer for GM's electric vehicle program.
    Conceivably, the ELR could be a win-win-win for Cadillac and GM:
    1. The long-awaited flagship comes off sounding like a check-off item. Sure, when it comes, it will be nice to have. Left unanswered: What role in GM's strategic plan does the flagship play? How many customers will actually buy the vehicle? And yes, the flagship is virtually certain hinder Cadillac's efforts to meet new CAFE mileage standards.
    2. GM has announced that it will go electric rather than hybrid. It will go electric in a big way. In this new world, the ELR plays a major role in GM's strategic plan. Without question, the Chevrolet Volt is an important car. However, you cannot look at it and not think "electric." For GM's move to electric vehicles to succeed, the buying public must look at an electric car and think "car" rather than "electric." The Cadillac ELR is a beautiful car, plain and simple. A certain percentage of customers would want one even if it were powered by a hamster wheel. I would not be surprised if it outsold the Volt. I would also not be surprised if it outsold the flagship.
    3. Of course, by amortizing GM's investment in the Volt across an additional product line, the ELR will accelerate the arrival of the break-even point for the investment. It will also turn the Volt's power train into an aspiration not only for the environmentally and energy-conscious, but also those who simple want a beautiful luxury coupe. Also, let us not forget that the ELR will help Cadillac meet new CAFE mileage standards.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Mazda Tribute 4WD 5speed

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_freak View Post
    doubtful - GM loses money on each Volt don't they? I mean we're all paying a chunk on each one sold? Flagship would have been the better investment - could have killed two birds... offered a model variant with the ELR drivetrain and call it a day...
    The Real Story On GM's Volt Costs
    The statement that GM “loses” over $40K per Volt is preposterous. What the “analyst” in whom poor Ben Klayman placed his faith has done is to divide the total development cost and plant investment by the number of Volts produced thus far. That’s like saying that a real estate company that puts up a $10 million building and has rental income of one million the first year is “losing” 9 million dollars, or several hundred thousand per renter.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RadRiv455 View Post
    "production late 2013".....ARGH! Looks nearly ready to go.
    Take as long as need to get it right instead of bringing it out as fast as they can is the right direction for GM to go in.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Both are being designed right now but the ELR is using existent tech and can come to market faster then the car that is being designed from scratch.

Thanks

I agree that a flagships is important and with what's available from GM worldwide, they could've been done simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    As much as people constantly bemoan the lack of a true flagship, they don't materialize without time, investment and R&D.

There never was an ELR vs. a flagship priority dilemma: the Converj was production intent.

What does the ELR do for Cadillac? It establishes the brand as a player in the luxury electrified vehicle segment. The ELR brings with it a lot of street cred and a target demographic.
    Much of the R&D has been done on the LWB zetas that are available as luxury sedans elsewhere. I don't get that they are not available in America. This type of vehicle screams "AMERICA!"

Quote Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
    I'm guessing the car will offer the 2.0 T with Voltec?.. It kind of sounds reasonable for me.. I don't see anything bigger for the car being on that platform, but thinking about hybrid sport cars the Acura NSX sounds pretty interesting.. wonder if Cadillac could do the same for its flagship model in some way.. I understand V12 or V16 whatever you guys think... but I just thinking it would nice to see GM implement the Voltec architecture in high performance in some manner... Just makes you think, not that it will happen..
    Isn't the ELR supposed to have a next gen of the Volt drivetrain?

Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    Depending on how they price it, it may help fund that flag ship.
    They'd have to price this thing at over 6 figures to actually make money on it now. These are long term investment cars that won't make money for years.
    Buy American. Buy Ford. So say we all!

Thanks

ELR should have been the first Voltec car. No one would have minded the price, and it would have thrown a nice tech-y halo over Cadillac. Trying to mass-market the technology as a Chevy was a mistake. The price was too high, and Chevy didn't really seem to pick up any glow off it.

Thanks

It won't.
    But it's still a car that Cadillac needs.

The key here is how well Cadillac translates the Volt into a luxury car. Will the interior have the stitched leather and other acoutrements of a luxury car? or will it be Cadillac interior that looks like a Volt.

Doesn't the ELR look a bit chunky and less sleek than the concept?
    Last edited by mgescuro; 11-20-2012 at 10:52 AM.

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO 2020!! ... LAKE TAHOE 2022!!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Corvette

They already have a platform to base this car on. The flagship is being developed from scratch. Totally different situations.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

I'm picturing a regular ELR, and a ELR-V, with an electric motor at all 4 wheels, wouldn't that be sweet?? A guy can dream

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information