2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium Video Review (Driven)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium Video Review (Driven)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 91fairladyZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT2 Silver

2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium Video Review (Driven)

2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium Video Review
    Driven Car Reviews
    December 2, 2012

The auto industry is littered with failed attempts to compete with The King. You probably wouldn’t be reading this if you weren’t curious how the newest salvo, the 2013 Cadillac ATS stacks up against you-know-who. No doubt, BMW’s 3 Series has earned its title over the years. It’s as if the BMW engineers made a deal with the devil back in 1975 for the secret of fun-to-drive. To be sure, Lucifer got the short end of that agreement.

The wreath and crest folks- who gave us the Cimarron and Catera mind you- believe ATS can take on 3 Series, C Class, A4, G37 and anyone else in the compact sport sedan segment. And it does. No qualifiers such as “for an American car” either. It’s ready to take on the world.

Make no mistake, ATS is a fiercely competitive compact sport sedan and well worth your test drive time. It has its work cut out for itself though. ATS doesn’t have the pedigree that time has bestowed on 3 Series and many will dismiss it simply because there’s no roundel badge. However, if Cadillac maintains this level of performance, handling, and design in the coming years, it should develop a pedigree of it’s own, and a really good rivalry with the Europeans.
    Full article at link.
    Last edited by ne_one; 12-10-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Formatting: please refer to the guide at the top of the Submit a News Article forum.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

Re: Driven Car Reviews posts a great ATS Video Review

Indeed! Looks wise alone that 3 series they show looks as bland as a camry.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

Nice review of the ATS.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Do people ever talk foundly about the BMW 2000?
    Just that time again to ignore certain people. I'm certain they will continue to try and instigate and antagonize while throwing up their arms saying they did nothing but are here on a civil basis. Not worth the time seeing how some just seem to know all.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

So,the ATS doesn't come with re-configureable gauge cluster like the XTS?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 patrickbec's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RHD:09 CTS,07 SRX/ LHD:13 ATS

Re: 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium Video Review (Driven)

A little off topic, but its interesting to note below that approximately 50% of ATS trades are conquest sales, particularly BM and Merc. I think that is a brilliant number for GM, and gives the lie to those who say the ATS is an excellent car but won't sell because the buyers of German luxury cars will never consider an ATS due to the lack of brand heritage etc. So 1350 of the 2700 ATS November sales (I could be wrong about the number as I'm going from memory) are conquest, which would not have gone to GM if the ATS was not available (I doubt those people would get the CTS or XTS if ATS was not available).

Also interesting is that 20% of ATS sales are CTS trade-ins, so almost 600 of the 2700 ATS November sales are CTS owners who may have bought a new CTS instead of an ATS, so that could be counted as lost CTS sales (that is a bit of a logical reach, but you think a car owner would normally buy the same or a more expensive car from the same brand when he is ready to get a new car). On an ATP basis it seems ATS is equal or higher than CTS so I don't think its a revenue loss for GM.

GM Sales Teleconference:
    Chase Hawkins - Vice President of Cadillac Sales and Service

Yes, this is Chase Hawkins again. So I think ATS, if we look at the data, we're seeing approximately 20% CTS trade right now on ATS. What's interesting for us though is that we're seeing about 50% conquest on the car, and it's primarily Mercedes and BMW. So outside of GM, the individual marks that we've targeted with ATS were hitting the spot.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patrickbec View Post
    A little off topic, but its interesting to note below that approximately 50% of ATS trades are conquest sales, particularly BM and Merc. I think that is a brilliant number for GM, and gives the lie to those who say the ATS is an excellent car but won't sell because the buyers of German luxury cars will never consider an ATS due to the lack of brand heritage etc. So 1350 of the 2700 ATS November sales (I could be wrong about the number as I'm going from memory) are conquest, which would not have gone to GM if the ATS was not available (I doubt those people would get the CTS or XTS if ATS was not available).

Also interesting is that 20% of ATS sales are CTS trade-ins, so almost 600 of the 2700 ATS November sales are CTS owners who may have bought a new CTS instead of an ATS, so that could be counted as lost CTS sales (that is a bit of a logical reach, but you think a car owner would normally buy the same or a more expensive car from the same brand when he is ready to get a new car). On an ATP basis it seems ATS is equal or higher than CTS so I don't think its a revenue loss for GM.

GM Sales Teleconference:
    Chase Hawkins - Vice President of Cadillac Sales and Service

Yes, this is Chase Hawkins again. So I think ATS, if we look at the data, we're seeing approximately 20% CTS trade right now on ATS. What's interesting for us though is that we're seeing about 50% conquest on the car, and it's primarily Mercedes and BMW. So outside of GM, the individual marks that we've targeted with ATS were hitting the spot.
    The current CTS is incorrectly positioned within Cadillac and the market in general. I think trying to draw conclusions about the ATS-CTS dynamic right now is difficult because the CTS isn't properly positioned.

The 3G CTS will iron things out, as it will be properly aligned with the market. Therefore, there won't be any conflicts within pricing or size. Only then will we truly be able to see the impact of proper compact and mid-sizer for the first time in Cadillac's history. Not to mention, the Omega flagship is only a couple years away as well, so Cadillac's entire sedan lineup will fall into place soon.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Nice review. The closing comments by the reviewer are most important and patrickbec's post about conquest sales back up that buyers are not only considering the ATS, but they are buying the ATS.

Also the CTS sales taking a hit from the ATS make sense until the next CTS debuts. I'm getting tempted to look into replacing my CTS with the ATS despite the smaller size. I was disappointed to learn cooled seats aren't offered on the ATS.

News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

Nice review, but I'm seriously tired of the first thing people say being "Cimmaron and Catera" when talking about ATS.
    Proud owner of two elegant/classy GMCs:

2008 GMC Sierra "All Terrain" Crew Cab 5.3L/FFV - Stealth Gray Metallic/Ebony
    2009 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3L - Switchblade Silver/Ebony

Future owner of another classy GMC Sierra "All Terrain"

Thanks

closing remarks say it all

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Cadillac, 2008 Solstice,

"Compact" now means insufficient legroom in the back seat, apparently. "Mid-size" means just enough legroom in back for short drives, apparently. "Correctly positioned in the market" means whatever the Germans do. "Luxury" means skidpad performance not ride quality.
    I think I'm catching on to the lexicon.
    Ed

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 91fairladyZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT2 Silver

Luxury should mean the car or truck is good at everything.

Thanks

Nice review.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 GMC Sierra Denali, Silver

Quote Originally Posted by JuMPy View Post
    closing remarks say it all
    Absolutely! Great review of a pretty darned good small sport sedan, IMO!
    Later,
    Lloyd C.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali, 2WD, Vortec 6200/6L80E, Silver Birch w/ Ebony Leather

2013 Can Am Commander XT, 4WD, Rotax 1000/CVT, Bumble Bee Yellow w/ black guts

b4z
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO M6 QSM/ black

Wonder why the EPA hwy rating is not better? It's lighter than the cts and has a taller rear gear and only 1 mpg better.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information