2013 Cadillac ATS 2.5L Review (Car & Driver) - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.5L Review (Car & Driver)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.5L Review (Car & Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post
    Then they would gripe about the rear legroom and small trunk, which oddly never bothered them in the 3 series. Their first drive review says "The big four-cylinder is fairly loud at high revs"--it only recently became a leaf blower. They might be noticing because it's fairly quiet at normal revs.

People who buy the 2.5 will rev it near the redline once in a blue moon. It irritates me when magazines rate a car by an inappropriate standard. Cadillac engines have often been pretty loud at full throttle--I think it's intentional.

C&D got 6.3 sec 0-60 for the 2.0T (1.1 less than 7.4)? Didn't other people get under 6, or was that the manual?
    I do believe that some got right at 6 seconds (maybe a hair under), though its important to note that these were early cars (not broken in). In later test I expect the 2.0T to break into the 5 second range easily.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: C&D -- 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.5L - Instrumented Test

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    I would probably get the 2.5. I'm not a fan of turbos and the 3.6L is too much engine.
    What he said too much engine. I never heard that before. Come on your teasing me how can you possibly have too much engine? Explain please.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    GM has a wonderful 3.0 V6 there that would work a treat in a light vehicle like the ATS
    and allow Cadillac to offer something in a base model few other manufacturers could match
    something that would set the base ATS apart from the competition and more DESIRABLE to own
    Except that it costs as much to manufacture and weighs about the same as the 3.6 and doesn't get better mpg. Other than that, it would be great in this car. There's a reason it's being phased out and replaced by the 2.0T.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    especially if I could order advanced safety features on the base model.
    Afraid you get half a loaf. The 2.5 Luxury has this as an option:
    Driver Awareness Package, includes Safety Alert Seat, (UEU) Forward Collision Alert, (UFL) Lane Departure Warning, (CE1) Rainsense wipers, and (AYF) rear thorax air bags

The 2.0 and 3.6 offer this on Performance and Premium:
    Driver Assist Package, includes all (Y65) Driver Awareness Package content plus (KSG) adaptive cruise control, (UGN) automatic collision preparation, (J77) electronic parking brake, (UVZ) Front and Rear Automatic Braking, (UFT) Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, and (UV6) full-color Head-Up Display
    http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...=3&addOptions=
    I imagine the safety bits will work their way down in the future.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

The 3.0 V-6 would do well in a car as light as the ATS, fuel economy gap would grow bigger as torque would be less of an issue.

However as things stands the 3.0 has a bad rep. now so its going away.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    Who adjusts volume when reversing a car?
    Apparently no one who drives this car....

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    I think a better combo with be the 2.5 with eAssist, picking up some 15 horsepower with better fuel economy in city and highway driving. I think the eAssist weighs about 65 pounds, so that weight gain would be worth it.
    If they had put a couple inches more tail on the car, there would be room for batteries and still have a usable trunk, but not as it is. Maybe they'll do it for Chevy or Buick derivatives or the ATS wagon/CUV. I sure hope Alpha was designed to support eAssist, but it might not be.

They've spent a lot of money developing hybrid drivetrains that don't sell or spread to many models. Eassist seems like the best of them, yet it's only on one engine still.

I think they've discovered enough wiggle room and fudge factors in the new CAFE calculations that hybrids just aren't a priority--if they can sell more Voltec cars.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 F150, '09 G37, '10 R6

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    Why can't GM build a smoother non coarse feeling/sounding 4 banger?
    It is a good question. If they ever do, they should put it in the Malibu!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Quote Originally Posted by 63GrandSport001 View Post
    The 3.0 V-6 would do well in a car as light as the ATS, fuel economy gap would grow bigger as torque would be less of an issue.

costs as much to manufacture as 3.6
    less low end torque than the 2.0T
    Is it significantly smoother than the 2.5 in normal driving--not maniacal journalist driving?
    Haven't driven either, but I doubt it.

Best use for the 3.0: half a 6.0 V12

I'm beginning to think the reverse/volume issue could be the Safety Nanny at work. GM didn't fire all their liability lawyers during Bankruptcy.
    I wonder if they tried the steering wheel buttons or voice control while reversing or just the center stack buttons.

Has anyone heard why the Performance models have a fixed rear seat? Luxury and Premium have split folding. I don't get it.
    Last edited by ral1960; 01-25-2013 at 11:08 PM.

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks

Then they would gripe about the rear legroom and small trunk, which oddly never bothered them in the 3 series. Their first drive review says "The big four-cylinder is fairly loud at high revs"--it only recently became a leaf blower. They might be noticing because it's fairly quiet at normal revs.

People who buy the 2.5 will rev it near the redline once in a blue moon. It irritates me when magazines rate a car by an inappropriate standard. Cadillac engines have often been pretty loud at full throttle--I think it's intentional.

C&D got 6.3 sec 0-60 for the 2.0T (1.1 less than 7.4)? Didn't other people get under 6, or was that the manual?
    Seems to me that they liked the ATS........A-LOT! So they thought that the base engine wasn't up to being a match for the remarkable chassis. So what?
    By the way - smooth, lusty, eager engines make you want to kiss the rev limiter every day. It's one of those things that make people fall in love with their cars.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by the_smurf2008 View Post
    It's on the steering wheel, right there in the interior photo. Next to the phone button.
    Also only a moron changes volumn in reverse while moving.

Why wouldnt they be able to though?

It's stupid just leave a normal knob there steering whel controls are never in the same place as your hands
    She’s got four a colour, four a clear
    She’s lookin’ better year by year
    And unlike you tonight she’s riding low

So baby its goodbye
    You could never get me high
    Like when I light the nitro on my
    HQ454 Monroe

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    What he said too much engine. I never heard that before. Come on your teasing me how can you possibly have too much engine? Explain please.
    Well in the real world there are very few instances where you can take advantage of such an engine's power, whereas the fuel economy tradeoffs are a disadvantage almost all the time. Then of course there is the added cost during purchase.

Walking
    Thanks

Is it significantly smoother than the 2.5 in normal driving--not maniacal journalist driving?

I'm beginning to think the reverse/volume issue could be the Safety Nanny at work. GM didn't fire all their liability lawyers during Bankruptcy.
    I wonder if they tried the steering wheel buttons or voice control while reversing or just the center stack buttons.

Has anyone heard why the Performance models have a fixed rear seat? Luxury and Premium have split folding. I don't get it.
    Split folding seats require the change to have the part bend the rear seats reminded taking away rigidity from the rear suspension. then ones with a pass through, usually have a x brace for added rigidity.

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTA trains and buses

Then they would gripe about the rear legroom and small trunk, which oddly never bothered them in the 3 series.
    ATS' exiguous rear seat and trunk room may elicit mild complaints, but I doubt those gripes would be all that significant. Compact sport sedans as a group prioritize sporty driving dynamics above interior roominess, something Kolman did adumbrate in his review.

Also, the F30 3-Series is among the best in its segment for rear seat room and trunk space, so that's probably why those attributes never bothered reviewers.

Their first drive review says "The big four-cylinder is fairly loud at high revs"--it only recently became a leaf blower. They might be noticing because it's fairly quiet at normal revs.
    I don't know if this is the case for 2.5L ATS models, but the 2.0L turbo 6MT version my brother and I test drove exhibited a mild low frequency groan in the 1800 - 2500 rpm range. It was definitely noticeable, but not too annoying.
    My modes of transportation: CTA 'L' & buses, Metra, Pace bus, rental cars (usually GM), taxicabs, bicycling, and walking.
    Member of the "I will never purchase a new car" club.
    Get the facts about ethanol and biofuels in the USA!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

My only beef with the ATS is that Cadillac doesn't offer a manual transmission in both the 2.5L and 3.6L engines.

They are being silly, they are acting as if the only player in this class is the BMW 328i.

IS250: 204/185
    G25 sedan: 218/187
    C250 sedan: 201/229
    ATS 2.5: 202/190

So you see the 2.5 ATS is in line with the other cars in its class in base form, also BMW is suppose to get an engine under the 328i. In base trim (no options) the ATS 2.5L is 3,315 pounds which gives it a good power to weight ratio compared to other base cars in its class. ATS 2.5 is 16.4 pounds per horsepower, the IS250 is 16.8 pounds per horsepower, and the G25 is 16.3 pounds per horsepower. As you can see it has the power to weight ratio, I just think that an optional manual transmission would do wonders for the 2.5L I-4 engine.
    Perhaps this article was written before BMW announced the 320i which also will not be utterly divergent from the ATS 2.5 for output? You also forgot about the Audi A4 which has a TOP engine offering of a 211 hp 258 lb ft 2.0TFSI, and the Acura TSX with a 201 hp / 170 lb ft inline 4 cylinder base engine as well.

Realistically to expect a 270 hp as the base engine in this class is at best a bit divergent from what should be expected. Also if anything the LF1 would have been placed in the lineup where the 2.0T is today. Perhaps the LF1 is one of the most under appreciated base engines available , and the scrutiny of the engine is mainly due to its placement in relatively heavy vehicles it seems.

Perhaps there happens to be cross car bracing between the rear shock towers?

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Seems to me that they liked the ATS........A-LOT! So they thought that the base engine wasn't up to being a match for the remarkable chassis. So what?
    By the way - smooth, lusty, eager engines make you want to kiss the rev limiter every day. It's one of those things that make people fall in love with their cars.
    Personally all of my engines see high engine speeds even the ones that are not as aurally pleasing at high rpm.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Perhaps, but the ATS is a sports sedan. And part of the fun in a lower powered sport sedan is you can actually use a lot of their capabilities on normal roads -- try that with a ZL1 Camaro ("Hello, officer!"). From various reviews, it doesn't necessarily have to be quieter so much as have a more pleasing quality to the sound of when working hard. They've nailed the hard part -- the chassis balance, the braking. The fours just need a bit more polish and the ATS will be the clear class leader. THAT'S quite an accomplishment if Caddy's willing to keep its nose to the grindstone.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information