2013 Cadillac ATS 2.5L Review (AutoGuide) - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.5L Review (AutoGuide)

Thanks

Re: 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.5L Review (AutoGuide)

Quote Originally Posted by CADILLACSIXTEEN View Post
    If someone lives in that heavily of a populated area where as they wouldn't be able to use the 2.0T properly, I doubt they would be dropping 34K on any car let alone a 2.5 ATS. People who live in these areas depend on public transportation... if they were gonna buy any car at all, I would think it would be a car designed around efficiency.
    Not necessarily at all... I used to live in Center City Philadelphia, which, if you don't know, is comprised of old, narrow streets. Most who can afford a new car, have them. What car? BMW 3 Series dominates. The ATS is perfect for this market. Many urban markets are the same. Not every urban market is NYC/Manhattan, where everyone uses public transportation out of necessity because of space/cost of space.

Many suburbanites who live in highly populated areas, like I do, also work in urban areas and choose to drive themselves. The ATS 2.5 will strike a chord with some of these buyers too... There is no magic combination that will work for everyone. But with the ATS at least offering the 2.5 at a lower price, it opens itself to even more buyers whose aspirations for a "premium" car don't necessarily include one that is all that powerful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Cruze LTZ, 2012 S60 T6

Quote Originally Posted by Dovetonsils View Post

I think of the ATS as being a "family" of cars, with the 2.5L being for people somewhat on a budget, or who would rather put the money into upgrading to the Luxury package. $1800 is non-trivial to many people.
    Those people would be better served with a Verano turbo.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    I'm not convinced that engine performance impacts perception of luxury outside of the mindset of the enthusiast. If it does, it's time to change perspectives in a market where efficiency is eclipsing 0-60 times.

The ATS is designed to be attainable to a number of target markets, including those where displacement can prove costly. If the 2.5L isn't compelling there are 2 and likely more options on the way.
    No doubt Cadillac did it for certain markets, but I'd like to see a more dynamic system to set Cadillac apart a little bit more if efficiency is the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by blaksabb View Post
    eAssist takes up over 3 cubic feet of trunk space. Not acceptable on a sedan that barely has 10 cubic feet to start with.
    The ATS's trunk isn't going to haul anything large anyways, so not much would be lost either way and those opting for something like eAssist would likely never be concerned with marginal loss of trunk space. Make it optional for those that want it.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 LetsRace's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

Quote Originally Posted by patrickbec View Post
    You have no idea how it kills me to look at all the ATS' available in the Houston area, with MSRP's of upto $44000 and none of them have fog-lights, but a cheap black piece of plastic. Its horrific. By contrast 3 series BMWs costing $38 000 all seem to have fog lights. Granted, thgose fogs are ugly round ones, but at least they have them. GM, another case of Penny wise, pound foolish!
    Where I live taxes on cars are very high and if you think $44k is bad the dealer in my area has an ATS 2.5 at $55k! A bmw 328i is $47000 and is fairly equipped not great but good. It makes me so sad to see the caddy priced so high.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Mazda Tribute 4WD 5speed

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    I'm not convinced that engine performance impacts perception of luxury outside of the mindset of the enthusiast. If it does, it's time to change perspectives in a market where efficiency is eclipsing 0-60 times.

The ATS is designed to be attainable to a number of target markets, including those where displacement can prove costly. If the 2.5L isn't compelling there are 2 and likely more options on the way.
    My driving is mostly in town driving stop light to stop light so the power of the turbo or V6 isn't really something that is useful for me. I'm fine with the performance #s of the ATS 2.5L but I bet sticking a 6speed manual in there would really make this a fun car without having to pony up $1800 more.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    I can not help but think that a base no option ATS will only be marginally more expensive to lease than a loaded mass market sedan.
    True, check out the lease deal on the base-model ATS on the Cadillac web site - something like $329.mo for two years. I was toying with the idea of leasing one, but was afraid how it would look without the trick lights in front. Actually, it's not bad. And I don't think I'd miss the turbo at all...

emh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LetsRace View Post
    Where I live taxes on cars are very high and if you think $44k is bad the dealer in my area has an ATS 2.5 at $55k! A bmw 328i is $47000 and is fairly equipped not great but good. It makes me so sad to see the caddy priced so high.
    Really? I just tried to build a 2.5 ATS on the Cadillac site and I just couldn't get it much over $44,500 even with all the boxes checked (including premium paint). Your dealer must be adding a very hefty markup if the $55k car you saw was indeed a 2.5.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by sfdenny View Post
    True, check out the lease deal on the base-model ATS on the Cadillac web site - something like $329.mo for two years. I was toying with the idea of leasing one, but was afraid how it would look without the trick lights in front. Actually, it's not bad. And I don't think I'd miss the turbo at all...
    The aftermarket is a beautiful thing, and I am sure the lights are a direct fit.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

If they must sell it, at least give it a manual transmission

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 LetsRace's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    Really? I just tried to build a 2.5 ATS on the Cadillac site and I just couldn't get it much over $44,500 even with all the boxes checked (including premium paint). Your dealer must be adding a very hefty markup if the $55k car you saw was indeed a 2.5.
    Yep 2.5 no fog lights one tailpipe. As I said taxes in vehicles here are very high but still $55 large in a 2.5 is a lot of money and yes it has all the options on it but still. That said I would pay that without problem in a 2.0t I just have to wait for a good deal.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ErikBEggs's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze

2.5L N/A I4 in a $40K car. What a joke.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze - 1.4T 6A RS & Black / Brick Interior
    Mods: Trifecta Tune - (22 psi) , Injen Cool Air Intake, 30% Tint, Aftermarket Sharkfin Antenna

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
    no need to even read the review, that summary says it all. This car is unacceptable, but the C250 and IS250 are more than acceptable. Lexus has been selling the IS with this level of power for the last 6 years and no one even mentions lack of power. Like it or not, there are buyers (likely female) who will lease this base model and be happy with the hp. I was at a caddy dealer last week and they only had one 2.5 vs maybe 7-10 V6 models. I dont think many of these will be ordered, BUT there are folks who will want a semi affordable version of this car and wont care about the hp.
    Maybe you should have read the review - overall it is positive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    The aftermarket is a beautiful thing, and I am sure the lights are a direct fit.
    They don't always let you modify cars when you lease them here, even if it is done right and does improve the car's value.

Back to the ATS 2.5L, I think that it will generate more conquest sales from cars like the S60, ILX and Verano than the 3 Series, A4 or C Class.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    If they must sell it, at least give it a manual transmission
    Agreed, especially if the stick is cheaper than the automatic, and I am under the impression that his ATS is the "economy" model.
    Last edited by schmallz; 10-18-2012 at 09:07 PM.
    I have seen the boobs. And they is us.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LetsRace View Post
    Without a photo or dealer link, I'm gonna call b.s. on this one... On the Cadillac U.S.A. website, I can't configure a 2.5 ATS over about $44k with all the boxes checked, and only about $48.5k on the Canadian site.

On the American site, you would have to check all the boxes on the top model ATS 3.6L Premium AWD model to top $55k... The ATS will be popular, but I simply cannot believe a dealer would add such a premium on a 2.5 model.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    Without a photo or dealer link, I'm gonna call b.s. on this one... On the Cadillac U.S.A. website, I can't configure a 2.5 ATS over about $44k with all the boxes checked, and only about $48.5k on the Canadian site.

On the American site, you would have to check all the boxes on the top model ATS 3.6L Premium AWD model to top $55k... The ATS will be popular, but I simply cannot believe a dealer would add such a premium on a 2.5 model.
    I agree. Something don't add up!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information