GM Inside News Forum banner

ZL1 Goes 200 MPH!

6K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  member12 
#1 ·
DETROIT — Slide over to the next lane. The Camaro ZL1 Coupe has a top speed of 198 mph (318 km/h).

Chevrolet tested the max velocity of the ZL1 (with 10-speed automatic) on the High Speed Oval at Germany’s Automotive Testing Papenburg GmBH proving ground. Compensating for wind speed, the top speed is the average achieved from running the ZL1 in both directions on the 7.6-mile (12.3 km) loop — 202.3 mph in one direction and 193.3 mph in the other direction.

“This test caps an impressive list of performance stats for the Camaro ZL1, which was designed to excel at everything,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “It’s the most capable — and fastest —Camaro ever.”

The Papenburg testing was conducted on the ZL1’s production Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 tires with pressure set at 44 psi, the recommended setting for extended high-speed driving. The car’s only deviations from stock were mandatory safety equipment and data logging equipment.

Papenburg’s high-speed oval features 2.5-mile (4 km) straights and 1.3-mile (2.15 km) turns with 49.7-degree banking on the top lane. The steep banking allowed Chevrolet test drivers to run the ZL1 flat out around the track without lifting off the throttle in the turns.
“The ZL1 was developed with high-speed performance in mind, incorporating a balanced aerodynamic package that reduces lift without significantly affecting drag,” said Oppenheiser. “After testing the car in standard settings, which produced the 198-mph average, we set the front and rear camber adjustments to 0 degrees and the tire pressures to the maximum allowable sidewall pressure, and saw the ZL1 average over 200 mph.”

Special aero features include a stanchion rear spoiler that offers an advantageous lift/drag ratio compared to a blade-style rear spoiler, and a patent-pending auxiliary transmission oil cooler cover that reduces front-end lift with no drag penalty. The front-to-rear aero balance was also fine-tuned for high-speed stability.

Additional performance capabilities of the ZL1 Coupe tested with the available 10-speed automatic transmission include:

0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds
Quarter mile in 11.4 seconds at 127 mph
1.02g max cornering
60-0 mph braking in 107 feet (35 meters).
The 650-horsepower, supercharged LT4 engine powering the ZL1 is matched with a standard six-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Match or an available, all-new 10-speed automatic transmission. Additional features include:

Magnetic Ride Control
Electronic limited-slip differential (coupe only)
20-inch forged aluminum wheels
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 summer-only tires measuring 285/30ZR20 in front and 305/30ZR20 in the rear*
Brembo brakes with six-piston Monobloc front calipers and two-piece rotors
The 2017 Camaro ZL1 starts at $63,435 for a coupe with the manual transmission (price includes $995 destination and $1,300 gas guzzler tax) and $65,830 for a coupe with the 10-speed automatic (price includes $995 destination and $2,100 gas guzzler tax).

ABOUT CHEVROLET

Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 115 countries and selling more than 4.0 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature engaging performance, design that makes the heart beat, passive and active safety features and easy-to-use technology, all at a value. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.

*Do not use summer-only tires in winter conditions, as it would adversely affect vehicle safety, performance and durability. Use only GM-approved tire and wheel combinations. Unapproved combinations may change the vehicle's performance characteristics. For important tire and wheel information, go to https://my.chevrolet.com/learn/tires or see your dealer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Camaro ZL1 Goes for 200 MPH

Camaro ZL1 Goes for 200 MPH

http://media.chevrolet.com/

DETROIT — Slide over to the next lane. The Camaro ZL1 Coupe has a top speed of 198 mph (318 km/h).
Chevrolet tested the max velocity of the ZL1 (with 10-speed automatic) on the High Speed Oval at Germany’s Automotive Testing Papenburg GmBH proving ground. Compensating for wind speed, the top speed is the average achieved from running the ZL1 in both directions on the 7.6-mile (12.3 km) loop — 202.3 mph in one direction and 193.3 mph in the other direction.
“This test caps an impressive list of performance stats for the Camaro ZL1, which was designed to excel at everything,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “It’s the most capable — and fastest —Camaro ever.” * **
The Papenburg testing was conducted on the ZL1’s production Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 tires with pressure set at 44 psi, the recommended setting for extended high-speed driving. The car’s only deviations from stock were mandatory safety equipment and data logging equipment.

More at this Link

#13 · (Edited)
Oh, ok.

Well then.... in the category of 'stretch' lets just see far we have come .....

From the same.....

In 1907 Marriott returned to Daytona with a new and improved version of the Stanley “Rocket” steam-powered race car. Unfortunately, the first run of that day ended in disaster.

Here is Marriott’s recollection of the event in an interview conducted fifty years later.

" Once I had made up my mind to run, I looked the course over carefully and found two depressions about one inch deep and six or seven feet wide, caused by the ebbing tide, but figured they wouldn’t bother me. I took a seven-mile accelerating run and hit the line wide open and loaded for bear. I ran through the first depression without trouble and was going faster than I'd ever gone before.

Two professors from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology that I knew had set up some kind of a timing rig at the half-mile mark and told me later I was travelling just a hair under 190 m.p.h. I was carrying 1,300 pounds pressure on the boiler and the power was terrific. When I reached the second depression it was just like running into a curbstone. " -

'
'
'
'
'
'
'

- " The car went up like a kite, sailed through the air for about 100 feet and broke in half when it landed. The boiler rolled about 1,000 feet along the beach; the engine and rear end buried themselves in the sand, and I was still in the front half of the body. I had been travelling north, but when the body came down it was headed east towards the ocean, and stopped with me under it and my head in the water.

And that was the end of the Rocket, the fastest car of its day.

I was pretty well smashed up. Several broken ribs; a hole through my upper jaw; a cracked breast bone; the whole top of my scalp sliced open and my right eye had been forced out of its socket and was lying on my cheek.

And I was black and blue all over.

One of the first persons to reach me was a doctor. He put my eye back in place and it is the best one today " -

http://www.steamcar.net/stanley/fastest.pdf

Fascinating link..... and story.

So.... on wet, relatively firm and slanted sand - 190 mph.

Actually, with a likely and possibly considerable 190mph Plus of unknown amount - between the half mile measure, and getting airborne.

Don't think the ZL 1 could match that.....but progress has been made in other regard..... such as a little bit more boot space although the opening is beyond awkward....... so there is that.

Btw..... you can compare this to aircraft breaking 190 / 200 mph..........

#16 ·
The Corvette with a few Aero adjustments in its Z06 form is way faster, but with its standard down force configuration is slower, but damn fast on a track. A grand sport will easily mop the floor with a ZL1 on any track down almost 200 HP

The Z06, you will need at least 1 million dollars or, a race spec car like ACR to keep up, therefore, it depends on your goals.

#22 ·
Horst: (Sinister) Okay, Mr. Burns, you win. But beware. We Germans aren't all smiles and sunshine.

Mr. Burns: (Sarcastic) Oooh, the Germans are mad at me. I'm so scared! Oooh, the Germans!
(Hiding behind Smithers) Uh oh, the Germans are going to get me!

Horst: Stop it!

Man: Stop, sir.

#26 ·
Road and Track tested a 10 speed ZL1 and got to 60 in 3.2 seconds and through the 1/4mile in 11.3 seconds.

With that being said I would still pick a Grand Sport Corvette over the ZL1 Camaro if I was looking for a track day car, I could go with GMs head and cam package which will net 535BHP. Though this ZL1 is a beast of a car....

#37 ·
The Alpha Chassis is excellent, if all you really want is a track car, a 1LE is the way to go, to get a corvette to its true potential, you need to have at least an SCCA pro level of driving skill, the Corvette even in the stingray form is an incredible track car, up there with rear engine super cars.

#42 · (Edited)
Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 - 198 MPH Top Speed

CHEVROLET CAMARO ZL1 HITS A WHOOPING SPEED OF 198MPH

Fastest Camaro ever
Feb 23, 2017
Hannah Jill

Auto World News

The Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 amazed fans with its unbeatable speed. With strong sales over the years and popularity as well, it already proved that not only it is efficient, strong but also fast - literally fast!

Fans and car enthusiasts, get ready for the all new 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1. Yahoo News mentioned that this car was officially said to be the fastest Camaro ever with an astounding record speed of 198 mph. In the recent testing at the 7.6-mile Automotive Testing Papenburg in Germany, the Chevy Camaro ZL1 hit an impressive speed. It is running laps on both directions, taking into account the wind speed, which recorded 202.3 mph in one direction and the other 193.3 mph. At the end of the test, the Chevy was able to record the said speed on standard vehicle settings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.