GM Inside News Forum banner

Z/28 Prototype seen on the road

7K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  JBsZ06 
#1 ·
Here are some pictures of the Z/28 prototype driving on public streets.

Nothing was said about engine noise. I guess what's under the hood will still remain a mystery, at least for a little while longer. I have a feeling we will see this car relatively soon. They seem to be moving along quickly with development. The ZL1 prototypes weren't seen driving around with their production wheels until right before their reveal. I wouldn't be surprised if the Z/28 was revealed at the 50th anniversary celebration this August.

See less See more
#18 ·
Front winglets are dive planes on lots of full track or race-prepped cars. We had them on the XKR-S GT Jaguars. The wing is most likely not detachable, but a full track prepped package option or less here for road testing. The removable spoiler would be a nightmare for liability if something happens on the track at speed. Anyone tracking anything that is "removable" when creating the necessary downforce needed to keep the beast planted would have serious worry...you want that bad boy secured for good.

Kudos to GM for doing the Vette and Camaro justice with real track credit setups. Side note, wish they would get serious about this type of thing in the highly profitable truck market(cough...Raptor/Power Wagon/Rebel...cough) and not just tape jobs with lightbars/off-road tires/painted wheels.

#29 ·
Ethe sales of the viper ACR are so small .....in fact they are cancelling the viper for 2017. I hate that ridiculous rear spoiler on the AcR...

I'm just not a fan of tacked on aerodynamics.

I much prefer the aerodynamic design of Ferrari s, Aston martins and lamborghinis.

Of course some tack crap on but for the most part their shapes are more beautiful without spats...

Just not a fan...

I would pay for the performance but do not want to spend one penny on extra spats spoilers or splitters...especially when they look like a bolt on JC Whitney catalog piece.

I'm sure the kids or wanna be racers love the spats, spoilers and big wings...

The will most definitely be insane....but will look like a cartoon character most likely when they remove the tape...

I think the mustang gt350 does a better job of harmonious styling.

#32 · (Edited)
Well if gm wants money from people who prefer sports cars that are not cartoon like with spats and spoilers then they will move in that direction...

There is a reason people tend to prefer the more sophisticated look that many wealthy people prefer.

Let me know how many track days you attend in your new 2017 z/28.

All kidding aside I realize the trend for gm design to add spats and wings...

I'm just not a fan of this new direction.

Voicing opinions on the forums is what's fun here.

I'm glad to hear you like the look of spats spoilers and big butt wings out back.

I draw the line on fast track times importance when the look of all these appendages become unappealing.....and here's the kicker that seems to annoy you....to me...

Since I have the money laying around to buy any of these...I think appealing to guys like me might be a good thing for sales.

I like the idea of a 2 plus 2...I especially like the idea even without all these spats and spoilers etc the camaro SS, 1LE , ZL1 and upcoming z/28 will chew up and spit out the completion from Germany...especially...

The fans of German brands are laughing about how gawky the car looks with all the spats and spoilers etc...

I believe it would be better for GM camaro sales if this performance car could attract German car buyers who prefer a more sophisticated appearance.

Then again...I prefer the Porsche 911 R to the GT3.....although I don't like the 911r stripes either

I prefer the boxster S to the Cayman gT4....

I'm just suggesting all these down force devices should be optional...

I do like the ducktail shown on the 1LE with the blackened rear light facia as well..

I thought it was a more modern look than the spoiler on the SS...

I didn't like the tacked on fender flares on the 5 th gen z/28 either.

Smooth styling may garner less attention like the gt350...but I like that coordinated styling better than the spats etc...

Fwiw I don't really like the black wheel well opening on the front of the grand sport and c7 z06 either...

It's ok...it's just not my taste.

#33 · (Edited)

Yea, Mercedes doesn't actually use these things when racing....

It's not about what I want, its about function. You can try to berate me all you want with your "old man money and wisdom" but the aero bits work and they work well.

You keep bringing up the GT350 but have you seen the 350R?

Yea, no spoilers or spats on it. ;)

Look, if have the money to buy the Z/28 but don't like the aero bits and want to just putt around in and go to cars and coffee, you can easily have a body guy take them all off and be done with it. I mean, you do have the money for it as you keep saying.

Sometimes, I love guys like you. You go on and on about your opinion but then you try to nullify others but making statements like:

Let me know how many track days you attend in your new 2017 z/28.
So only people who might buy the Z/28 can have an opinion? Isnt that what you just said? Pitiful.

#34 ·
I'm very specific when I type on the Internet forums that I state over and over again IN MY OPINION AND OR JUST MY OPINION.

Unfortunately for you you missed that ...

Actually there is a place between going on the race track and doing cars and coffee....imagine if you could there are mountains and lakes 20 minutes from where a sports car driver lives....and you'll understand how high performance sports cars can be used.

Yes I've done Monticello raceway as well as pocono raceway, not to mention englishtown for drag racing...and of course we have giants statium for NASA and Porsche club, and Scca auto X events...

Add that all together but mostly with early Sunday morning bear mountain and seven Lakes drives and you might understand what many local high performance drivers enjoy and don't want spats and spoilers...as well as big butt wings...

It's a little over the top styling is ridiculous for anyone who uses there sports cars as daily drivers as well.

I guess since you state in your signature you have a nice v6 camaro you could save up your pennies and put spats and spoilers on it if you want...unless of course it's a lease....then you would be charged when you return the car at the end of the lease.

I think if I stepped out of a car with all the spats, spoilers and big butt wing...when I returned to the car I'd miss the cleaner styling that I prefer for a sports car that's pretending to be used not only for mountain pass drives on Sunday morning or as a daily driver as some wanna be race car...

You can either chose to understand what I'm saying or you can be insulted my opinion is different than yours.

GM is making a mistake in my opinion for not taking into acount the many consumers who are using their vehicles in the same manner as me...who have an opinion that spats, spoilers and big butt wings are over the top.

I'm not really digging the front wheel well black arches of the corvette z06 as well.

My suggestion on this forum is gm might want to tone down those aspects to expand sales....or possibly loose them when the time comes to replace a current sleeker sports car...or wait until we become accustomed to all the splitters spats and big butt wings....

Which may or may not ever happen...

Wouldn't an optional spat spoiler and big butt wing as optional make more sense..

Nice shooting the breeze and enjoy your pretty camaro v6.

Till then I'll enjoy my 190 mph, zero to 60 mph in 4 flat, 1.0 lateral cornering g LS3 powered manual z51 corvette which I'm very happy with.

This is my third new corvette and I enjoy roof off driving in the mountains as well as everyday.

Peace out

JB

Yea, Mercedes doesn't actually use these things when racing....

It's not about what I want, its about function. You can try to berate me all you want with your "old man money and wisdom" but the aero bits work and they work well.

You keep bringing up the GT350 but have you seen the 350R?

Yea, no spoilers or spats on it. ;)

Look, if have the money to buy the Z/28 but don't like the aero bits and want to just putt around in and go to cars and coffee, you can easily have a body guy take them all off and be done with it. I mean, you do have the money for it as you keep saying.

Sometimes, I love guys like you. You go on and on about your opinion but then you try to nullify others but making statements like:

So only people who might buy the Z/28 can have an opinion? Isnt that what you just said? Pitiful.

#35 ·
This is a photo at my gym...im not a photo guy but it's a quickie shot as I walk back to the car after I put on these new 19/20 OEM wheels with Michelin pilots non run flats.i think The sleek look is pretty attractive. At least to me...I'm digging it and a
Though I've seen guys add spats spoilers and big butt wings at cars and coffee etc...I'm not a fan and almost never see them up in the mountains driving their cars..I think they are too busy waxing the wings....in their garages...

Different strokes for different folks..I guess

p

#37 · (Edited)
Actually I didn't say what your suggesting at all. I actually respect everyone's choice and that includes me voicing my opinion freely as well.

I think your v6 2016 camaro is actually a very beautiful car.

I'm not a fan of added on spoilers spats and big butt wings for daily drivers and yet I do like high performance machines for the street ..

I don't quite understand your anger at me voicing my opinion and none of this really matters..

I would say that leaving a daily driver unattended with big butt wings etc would draw unwanted attention from ricers and punks who will most likely key your car when your not around.

They don't see my corvette as a styling threat....because they tend to think my cars cool in a different kind of way..so no matter where I park it ....nothing happens to it....I leave it with the roof off all summer no ,matter where I leave it...it's fine.....but a new car with spats spoilers and big wings would garner a keying...

Maybe it's just a New York jerk thing but that's the deal...these wimps like to harm other people's property that offends them when no ones around to catch them...at the mall etc...

I think while they never go after my car which is my daily....they would go bonkers if they see a new car sporting wings and spats etc...

Theyd say to the,selves let's get this guy with wings and spats on his car ....that he bought new....and is not around...

That's how people who don't have newer cars act when they buzz bomb their way into areas where people do have...

I may not like the cars with spats and spoilers but I sure as he'll would never damage one when the owner wasn't around.

I probably wouldn't tell a guy who owned one...I wasn't a fan of the spats spoilers or big wings because I realize it would hurt his feelings....

I just wouldn't buy one....

So while the performance of the new z/28 and ZL1 might be awesome which I know it will be....ill state it again....

I think Gm would sell more if they made the spats, spoilers and big wings optional...

Have a nice day and sorry if that opinion insults anyone.

Especially you baller

#38 ·
Also, I know way more Corvette guys that stick their car in the garage and just take it out for a putz around town than any other type of car guys. It's quite comical how many of those old guys at car shows are just happy to have a Corvette but never use the capabilities that are baked into it.

Plus, no one is taking the Z/28 as a daily driver so I don't understand that at all.

#39 ·
There a ton of guys who buy nice sports cars and park them in the garage and just marvel at their waxed beauty....I agree it's idiotic...

There are quite a few Ford Mustang gt350 s and z28 s that do the same thing.

Sit in their garages to be marveled at....and maybe drive to a cars and coffee event...(as its big trip)

We can both agree that's a dam waste of fine machinery...

The only good part about it...is it would make some fine young guy a cool preowned slightly less expensive car to own...and USE ! ;)

As the newest latest greatest comes to market and the collector guy has to move on.

#41 ·
For kicks let me play devils advocate here

Not every day is a race...sometimes it's just cruising...

I'm sure those who see a fast capable car are wondering...wtf when the see a guy just tooling at that moment in time...

Guess what guys...lol you can't race around every minute of everyday..

You pick your time to hammer it...when nobodies around so you don't go to jail and get your car impounded,

But you d know that if you had a fast ride..

If you ran you Ferrari or whatever hard all the time...you'd be in jail.

Unless you had a slow car...the. You could race around all the time because nobody notices...

That's why some people use the phrase slow car fast...it's one of the reasons miatas are so popular...

You rev the ******* out at redline and your barely beating a Toyota Camry...

Not my thing ...but you get the idea..

Nobody on this earth runs a super car like a Ferrari or whatever hard all the time...

And almost never in front of the kiddies...who end up doing stupid things...getting people killed is easy..

You lol learn when you see your buddy killed on the street doing something really stupid.

Just food for thoughts guys...

Just keepin it real..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.