Updated 2016 6th gen Camaro line up.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated 2016 6th gen Camaro line up.

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks

Updated 2016 6th gen Camaro line up.

Camaro Sport Coupe:

Base price: $25,990
    Engine: (next gen) 2.0L I4 turbo with eAssist.
    Power: 260 horsepower.
    Transmissions: 6 speed automatic.
    Weight: 3525 pounds.
    EPA city/hwy: 34/47
    1/4 mile: 15.0 seconds

Camaro Z-Spec:

Base price: $28,500
    Engine: (next gen) 2.0L I4 turbo.
    Power: 325 horsepower.
    Transmissions: 6 speed automatic/6 speed manual.
    Weight: 3400 pounds.
    EPA city/hwy: 27/37
    1/4 mile: 13.8 seconds.

Camaro SS:

Base price: $33,500.
    Engine: LT1 Gen V smallblock, 6.2L V8.
    Power: 440 horsepower.
    Transmissions: 8 speed automatic/7 speed manual.
    Weight: 3550 pounds.
    EPA city/hwy: 20/29
    1/4 mile: 12.9 seconds.

Camaro Z/28:

Base price: $38,995.
    Engine: LT1 Gen V smallblock, 6.2L V8.
    Power: 490 horsepower (Special Performance Z/28)
    Transmissions: 8 speed automatic/7 speed manual (You know? Screw the auto, stick only!)
    Weight: 3425 pounds. (reduced mass)
    EPA city/hwy: 18/27
    1/4 mile: 12.3 seconds.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Updated 2016 6th gen Camaro line up.

Just for the record, this is a combo of sourced inside info and extrapolation. As more tidbits come in, I'll continue to update.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

Thanks

Having No V6 seems stupid to me. I'm also not likely all these 4 cylinders. Maybe have one for this Eco base model thing, but why not use the 3.6L V6 for the Z-spec?? In this lighter car they can surely get over 30mpg out of it.

I'm afraid people won't react well to a 4 cylinder Camaro. People aren't buying these cars for daily drivers and grocery getters. I don't think people are terribly concerned with the fuel economy. Not enough to justify all these 4 cylinder models.
    "never go to bed angry, stay awake and plot your revenge"

Current Car
    2007 Chevy Impala LS

Past Cars
    1998 Chevy Malibu V6
    1994 Chevy Cavalier

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Impalibu View Post
    People aren't buying these cars for daily drivers and grocery getters.
    Exactly right! And that there is a HUGE problem.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

They need to sell a lot to be daily drivers and the like. Otherwise they wont sell enough to keep the camaro around. There are not enough "enthusiasts" like us to keep the camaro line around just buy buying the v8 cars. The more four cylinders they sell the better. So if it takes a four cylinder to get the mileage it needs to sell the camaro to the masses, then go for it. I would not be buying one so I dont really care if the base camaro gets a two, four, or six cylinder. As long as it helps the CAFE ratings, and sells a lot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BustedCrank View Post
    They need to sell a lot to be daily drivers and the like. Otherwise they wont sell enough to keep the camaro around. There are not enough "enthusiasts" like us to keep the camaro line around just buy buying the v8 cars. The more four cylinders they sell the better. So if it takes a four cylinder to get the mileage it needs to sell the camaro to the masses, then go for it. I would not be buying one so I dont really care if the base camaro gets a two, four, or six cylinder. As long as it helps the CAFE ratings, and sells a lot.
    Yeah, I don't know why it's such a hard concept to grasp.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar demonspeed's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why it's such a hard concept to grasp.
    While I can certainly grasp the importance of 4 cylinder models for longevity of V8's, I'm still wondering how a 7 speed manual is going to feel
    Current: '08 G8 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS
    Past: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z

www.fquick.com/demonspeed

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BustedCrank View Post
    Didn't Ford go through this already? Thank God they got over it. I just remember that when they decided to use 4 cylinder powerplants in the Mustangs they seemed to use this as an excuse to cheapen the entire line. Thank God GM didn't do that to the Camaro, they used the Vega for that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ledfoot73 View Post
    Didn't Ford go through this already? Thank God they got over it. I just remember that when they decided to use 4 cylinder powerplants in the Mustangs they seemed to use this as an excuse to cheapen the entire line. Thank God GM didn't do that to the Camaro, they used the Vega for that.
    Mustang had a couple of interesting 4 cylinders. Not the least of which was the Mustang SVO. That was a pretty cool car if you ask me and they are sought after by collectors today. Ford also offered a 2.3L turbo in the Mustang GT for afew years.

BTW, Camaro did go through it as well, with the 2.5L Iron Duke from '82-'85. It wasn't fast, but it was dirt cheap and got 30 mpg in a day when "efficient" cars pulled down high teens per gallon.

As a side note, it's interesting to see all the V6 lamenting going on here. I'd betcha some of the same folks would also say they'd never be caught dead in a V6.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
    While I can certainly grasp the importance of 4 cylinder models for longevity of V8's, I'm still wondering how a 7 speed manual is going to feel
    Welp, one extra shift I guess.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Mustang had a couple of interesting 4 cylinders. Not the least of which was the Mustang SVO. That was a pretty cool car if you ask me and they are sought after by collectors today. Ford also offered a 2.3L turbo in the Mustang GT for afew years.

BTW, Camaro did go through it as well, with the 2.5L Iron Duke from '82-'85. It wasn't fast, but it was dirt cheap and got 30 mpg in a day when "efficient" cars pulled down high teens per gallon.

As a side note, it's interesting to see all the V6 lamenting going on here. I'd betcha some of the same folks would also say they'd never be caught dead in a V6.
    The problem with the SVO was that it was expensive, coupled with inferior performance compared with the V8, it just never really sold. As far as the 6 cylinders are concerned, I wouldn't be caught dead in one. Wait, a 13 second 30 mpg V6. Wow, well maybe I could find that extremely interesting as a base engine. I did miss the 82-85 4 cylinder models, I had a 79 Z28 in the early 80's and didn't realize they ever used the iron duke in the Camaros of that era.

Alex Villani: Staff Writer Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Realize that a 260hp turbo 4 in a 3400lbs Camaro would feel pretty quick.
    What I dont get is that if there will be a V6 available for Alpha, that they would probably use that.
    I welcome the turbo 4 idea for Camaro, and if they can group that with eAssist, or hopefully by then a 3rd generation BAS system, that would also be great.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: BigAl@GMInsidenews.com
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ledfoot73 View Post
    The problem with the SVO was that it was expensive, coupled with inferior performance compared with the V8, it just never really sold. As far as the 6 cylinders are concerned, I wouldn't be caught dead in one. Wait, a 13 second 30 mpg V6. Wow, well maybe I could find that extremely interesting as a base engine. I did miss the 82-85 4 cylinder models, I had a 79 Z28 in the early 80's and didn't realize they ever used the iron duke in the Camaros of that era.

Sure, that was the SVO's downfall. It was the most expensive Mustang that you could buy. In that respect, it didn't stand much of a chance as a business success when a 5.0 was thousands cheaper. Of course, on the Camaro, it'll be the cheapest one that you can buy. Completely different story.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
    Realize that a 260hp turbo 4 in a 3400lbs Camaro would feel pretty quick.
    What I dont get is that if there will be a V6 available for Alpha, that they would probably use that.
    I welcome the turbo 4 idea for Camaro, and if they can group that with eAssist, or hopefully by then a 3rd generation BAS system, that would also be great.
    I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a V6 in the Alpha Camaro. In the end if GM can meet it's performance/CAFE/cost goals with one, then that'll be that.

But what we know >>>FOR SURE<<< right now, is that the next gen Ecotec turbo 4 and Gen V smallblock will be part of the program.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

Z28 you're a genius, that's the perfect line-up for a 6th Gen Alpha Camaro.

I like how you offer an automatic on all trims accepting some people want the power without being forced to row their gears. A 7 speed manual though? I never heard of anything above 6 speeds in an application like this. The only thing I would like to see is a V6 between the Z-Spec and SS rated for around 400 HP. For all future Camaro's I don't want to see a HP gap bigger than 50 or so HP, so the customer can find the best combo of power/fuel economy. I think the 3L TT V6 would be perfect here.
    Last edited by PA Dweller; 02-05-2011 at 11:47 AM.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information