GM Inside News Forum banner

Spy Pics: Group of 2016 Camaro Prototypes spotted out testing.

33K views 131 replies 55 participants last post by  posaune 
#1 · (Edited)
Posted by Tran
Camaro5.com

New round of 2016 Camaro spy photos, this time we have close-up shots of a large test group rushing to get back to the safe confines of the General Motors Proving Grounds.

This particular test group--8 or 9 cars strong--consisted of solely high-performance variants. There didn't seem to be a six-cylinder in the bunch, and they made one serious roar as they tried to streak past the photographer's lens.

Pictures at the link:http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374553

Sorry, copied wrong link-Thanks oklapike, link updated.

#34 ·
I hope this eliminates the notion from some that the new Camaro is going to be smaller (especially those who think it'll be a rebodied ATS of all things). The next Camaro is going to be VERY close to the current one is external size. My guess is at the max, perhaps 150 pounds off the V8 models, and base models 200 to 300 pounds off due to the 4 cylinder being standard versus the V6......feel free to disagree, but we'll see for ourselves very soon. :)

I still hope for some 2nd Gen styling cues in the grille, head & tail lights, and rear window.
By every account.....nooooope.

Do they really have to have that high of a beltline? Is this something that is driven by the height of the firewall of the Alpha - or any - platform?
As I've been saying, they're sticking with the current successful formula.....evolution not revolution.

I don't like the high beltline personally, but being that Camaro is currently the best selling sporty coupe, I have to accept that my opinion (and yours) is not what the general public thinks. And it's the public who are actually buying the things that's really important.

These cars are EXTREMELY well camouflaged. It's difficult to tell what the styling or visibility will be like, in fact some of the camo is there to mislead you.

What can be garnered here, is that the 6th gen will be smaller and lower than the 5th gen.
I don't see that, but we'll know for sure this car show season. :)

I really hope the rear lower trim is just pre-production work because I really don't like how the muffler/catalytic converter is just hanging out there in plain sight. It's one of the things I really hate about the equinox and srx. It's just so unsightly, I mean cover it up or paint it black or something jeez.
If it's mechanical then it's what you'll see in production.

Yup, and I suspect the nose has a 5th gen front fascia grafted on it, with camo over it.
Knowing that they are doing cooling tests on the car, I have to again disagree. The nose by accounts I've heard is an evolution on the 5th gen, and it makes perfect sense....again, why mess with a formula that's made you number one in the class?

You hide prototypes and pre-production models for competitive reasons, to prevent other companies from copying their ideas and features, and design.
As slow as GM has been in bringing out new models, with less camo on the prototypes, Chinese companies could come out with copies before the originals!
The reason you hide the appearance of new car models (especially at this point) is to have increased impact on the market when you unveil it to the public. China is irrelevant, as China is not selling a competitive model in the US nor is China going to have a version out before the original comes out. It doesn't work that way. There's stamping machinery and OEM plastic body parts that have to be not only sourced, but machinery and molding ordered. It ain't gonna get there before the Camaro's (which is already ordered and manufactured), so perish the thought.

Also, to a large extent, those in the industry already know what a competitor's car is going to look like by the time you see camouflaged prototypes. There's people at Ford and Chrysler who are already fully aware of what the next Camaro looks like, and it's already starting to influence their design direction of their mid cycle redesigns.

#36 · (Edited)
Re: Spy Pics: Group of 2016 Camaro Prototypes spotted out tested

It looks like a 5th gen on Alpha.

Fine by me, since I like the 5th gen, but... I really hope they evolve the styling, I'm getting tired of looking at it.
That was my first thought. New platform, same or similar styling.
Did you even look at the link? There is a new batch, but these aren't it. The new batch shows the test cars running with a pair of 5th gens.

The new ones can be found here: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374553
I pulled up both and I think they're the same.
Sheesh! Full bra treatment on the front, full rear including C pillar and doors on top of swirly paint.. even wheel disc camo.

I got nothing.
That's what I say. You can kind of see things but not enough to really tell anything different between the two. I also really like the current one running around with them especially the silver one, sharp looking car if you ask me.

#8 ·

Looks like no attempts to improve outward visibility. Can't say if that's really all bad as I've only sat-in, never driven a 5th-gen. But the journalists always complain.
The CTS has what seems like a 6" tall rear window that you MIGHT be able to see out of with a magnifying glass or binoculars.

I don't expect this to be much better.

#7 ·

These cars are EXTREMELY well camouflaged. It's difficult to tell what the styling or visibility will be like, in fact some of the camo is there to mislead you.

What can be garnered here, is that the 6th gen will be smaller and lower than the 5th gen.

#9 ·

So, is the camo on Omega there to mislead us, too?

Please tell me they're expertly hiding some flared fenders.

#11 ·

I really hope the rear lower trim is just pre-production work because I really don't like how the muffler/catalytic converter is just hanging out there in plain sight. It's one of the things I really hate about the equinox and srx. It's just so unsightly, I mean cover it up or paint it black or something jeez.

#16 ·

There at least does seem to be an Impala inspired lower grill in this picture, which seems like might be leading into a late second-gen Camaro influence - Which is my favorite Camaro styling era.

An updated/influenced version of this.

#17 · (Edited)

Agree, lower roof, and shorter length = very good. B pillar back too heavily camouflaged to make out rear window silhouette, bigger question is why is GM trying to hide it so much? I'm thinking the front is going to look angrier or have a more serious look than the current generation.

#20 ·

. B pillar back too heavily camouflaged to make out rear window silhouette, bigger question is why is GM trying to hide it so much? .
You hide prototypes and pre-production models for competitive reasons, to prevent other companies from copying their ideas and features, and design.
As slow as GM has been in bringing out new models, with less camo on the prototypes, Chinese companies could come out with copies before the originals!

#23 ·

Wow...There's some serious length between the base of the A-pillar and the wheel well. It will be interesting to see how that translates once the camo is gone.

Edit: Just looked at some 5th-gen pics, and this appears to be an optical illusion due to the camo.

#24 ·

I suspect we're going to be seeing some big changes in the rear windshield area. Lots and lots of camo on that baby.

#27 ·

Based on the camo, it appears:

- There is more glass area. Note how the camo wraps over the edge of the glass at the top of the windshield and at the top of the side glass. Tough to tell, but eh beltline looks raised by camo as well. All of this replicates the current look, but appears to be camo, not car.

- The slope of the roof and the rear camo seems to indicate a faster rear window than the current car. Maybe more in keeping with Gen 2 in that respect and likely more like the profile of the 2015 Mustang.

It is really well covered, though. I have a really hard time even imagining what it really looks like!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.