GM Inside News Forum banner

The Good News: Z/28 Will Return. The Bad????????????

13K views 97 replies 43 participants last post by  IZ28 
#1 ·
I'll tell you guys something, getting info on the 6th generation Camaro has been tough. GM has been so tight on this, that their shoes squeak when they walk. But over the past few months I've been able to piece together a few tidbits.

It looks like the Z/28 will return in 6th gen guise. That's the good news. The news that maybe I'm not so thrilled about is that it appears that the Z/28 will take a page out of the C7 Z06 playbook. That being, supercharged V8, wide body, lots of aero doo-dads.

I was really hoping for a purer representation of the Z/28 paradigm.

Is this what we REALLY want the Z/28 to be? Didn't we already go through this with the 5th gen Z28 -------> ZL1?

If you have an opinion on this....speak now!

#7 ·
Unfortunately, the lack of a high rpm naturally aspirated LT7 really hurts when it comes to a road race version of both the Corvette and the Camaro. That is what made the LS7 in the current Z/28 and the Z06 Corvette so special. If you are not a road racer, you might not see or get it. This is where Ford has a massive advantage with their smaller displacement DOHC V8 which has allowed them to go with the super trick flat plane crank. This engine in the new GT350 will be a lot like the LS7 was. Fast revving, huge rpm band to work with, razer sharp throttle response.

#32 ·
I totally agree. It wont be the same for the pure road racer. Im still holding out hope for a LT7 at some point.

Reactions: JeffInDFW
#12 ·
This would be a perfect set up for the 6th gen 1le, but i don't think it would be enough in the z28 considering what the gt350 is bringing to the table.... increase the displacement of the lt1 along with what you have listed and then we're onto something

#16 ·
Z/28 should be the most track ready. ZL1 should be the most explosive/Weapons grade. A supercharged V8 is fine if it's higher revving. Maybe a 5.7L SC V8 may be a good middle ground. Z/28 should have active aero and tons of carbon fiber.

A Z/28 could also be AWD (emphasis on could)

#20 ·
My guess is that the new Shamaro was a disaster and it is being reworked. After seeing that Ford brought styling back to the Mustang with gorgeous fenders and amazing detailing, the new Shamaro would have looked like a pinewood derby car BEFORE being carved.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#38 ·
Honestly?

Doesn't faze me one way or the other.

Everyone has a different view as to what a Z/28 should be.

Ask me and I'll tell you I think the current Z/28 is utter nonsense. It's a $100 solution to a $5 dollar issue.

Sure, the wheels, tires, and it's suspension are all top notch and earn their keep. But everything else in the car is simply exotic for exotic's sake, not because they're doing great things.

The ceramic brakes stop no quicker or fade no less than the optional iron Brembos. Yet they add damn near 10 grand to the car alone. The LS7 is an exotic hand assembled (and e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e !)engine, but it's output is within spitting distance of the standard, mass assembled, cheaper to produce LT1. You lose the stereo, sound deadening, spare tire, thick glass, and a lot of comfort to save what? 88 pounds, since most of the weight savings is thrown back on with other weight adding items?

Then the entire thing goes on the showroom floor for......$75,000 !?........for a CAMARO?!

A 1LE with the Z/28's rims and tires with the LT1, and the same weight saving deleted items of the Z/28 would almost certain deliver the same outcome. Even if it only delivered 98% of what the actual Z/28 can do, you could rest assured that the 20+ grand you'd save between the engine and the brakes would be more than well worth it.

Sure, the Z/28 is an example of what Chevrolet Camaro engineers can do when given a blank check....but that's also the problem.

If Chevrolet wants to put a supercharged V8 in the next Z28 and pit it against the next GT500 that's great. The ZL1 Camaro was supposed to be the Z/28.... IMHO, and with Ford seriously considering taking the next GT500 and instead using it to return the "Cobra" name, that's perfectly fine.......If Chevrolet wants to strip it down and use a tweaked version of a NA LT1 to go against the GT350, then that's OK too.

As long as both are no higher than the current....and quite reasonably priced....Camaro ZL1, I have no preference.

#45 ·
Well...if the rumors that the GT350 will be priced at around $53K are true, and the GT350 performs comparably to the Z/28......where does that leave a $75,000 Z/28?

Reactions: richmond2000
#41 ·
LT4 would be a mistake in a z/28 in my opinion. I would rather have an untouched LT1 in the Z/28 then the LT4. I don't see why they couldn't massage a little more from the LT1 for a naturally aspirated 500horse. That would be perfect. And it would be enough to take care of any of the blue ponies coming down the line. Something different built for track use would be a nice, yet welcome, surprise. A flat plane crank would be fun in an LT1. Stay away from the DOHC ideas.

Is there not going to be a ZL1? That would be my guess. They combined the ZR1/Z06, and sounds like they would be doing the same with the ZL1/Z28. Why? I don't get it. The only thing I can think of is they are planning something crazy for the ZR1 and ZL1. Or are just downsizing the lineups, but if that's the case, they should have stuck with the other names.

Either way, the guys that use their cars to their limits on the track are the ones getting left out. Maybe the new Z06 issues will make them change their mind on supercharging a car supposedly built for the track.

#43 ·
Is there not going to be a ZL1? That would be my guess. They combined the ZR1/Z06, and sounds like they would be doing the same with the ZL1/Z28. Why? I don't get it. The only thing I can think of is they are planning something crazy for the ZR1 and ZL1. Or are just downsizing the lineups, but if that's the case, they should have stuck with the other names.
That's what it sounds like to me.

#46 ·
If the GT350 is priced at about $53,000 starting then it won't be able to keep up with the Z/28 Camaro.... Car and Driver ran a near 2:50 lap with the Z/28.

Now if the GT350 starts at $53,000 and has a hardcore GT350R that brought the price up to about $65,000 is probably what we will end up seeing.

#49 · (Edited)
It'll be interesting to see how Ford works and prices the GT350 and GT350R. Even if the R costs 65K and can compete with the Z/28, that puts pressure on GM to deliver the goods at a lower price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.