GM Inside News Forum banner

Don't Expect to See the Next Gen Camaro in Detroit

7K views 47 replies 34 participants last post by  91Saturn 
#1 ·
Don't Expect to See the Next Gen Camaro in Detroit
Torque News
By Patrick Rall
2014-12-18 12:44

I have some bad news for those folks hoping to see the debut of the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro at the upcoming 2015 North American International Auto Show – word on the street is that the Camaro will not make its next generation debut in the Motor City in January.

Earlier this year, it was widely rumored that the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro would introduce the next generation of America’s bestselling muscle car at the 2015 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. There had been no official word from General Motors supported these rumors, but the growing occurrence of spy shots and the continued reports of “insider information” suggesting that we would see the 6th gen Camaro in Detroit kept the dream alive. However, as we are about a month out from the start of the 2015 Detroit Auto Show with no mention from GM of the Camaro debut, I do not expect to see the 2016 Camaro next month.

No Word from GM
The 2015 North American International Auto Show is going to be a great event, with a long list of debuts set to draw big crowds. General Motors has teased the next generation Chevrolet Volt that will debut in Detroit along with confirming that the next generation Cadillac CTS-V super sedan will debut in the Motor City as well. However, with less than a month remaining before the doors open at Cobo Hall, there has not been a single word about the debut of the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro.

*Full Article at Link

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmmm.

There are 3 possibilities that come to mind:

1. They have some kind of surprise planned.

2. GM wants to "spread the love" across more than one Auto show.

3. Something, somewhere has gone wrong and the new Camaro will be delayed.

Also, I noticed this in the article:

If there next generation Chevrolet Camaro doesn’t make its grand debut in Detroit, ....
It's spelled THEIR.

I can't believe it was published like that.

Just sayin'.

#4 · (Edited)
BUMMER, I hope they're mistaken!! I'm chompin' at the bit to see if this will be my next new car.

#5 ·
Also just a thought. If GM reveals the new Camaro in Detroit, and it's awesome, (which I hope it is), that would literally cripple 2015 Camaro sales even beyond the hammering they're getting from the new Mustang.

#11 ·
If I were a betting man, I'd say we'll see the Volt, the CTS-V and maybe the Cruze.

GM is a reactionary company (sadly). Ford's big Ford Performance announcement probably scuttled any potential Camaro debut in Detroit.

If it doesn't drop in Detroit, it'll drop in New York (which is also where I expect to see the CT6 debut. Chicago seems to be a bit of an afterthought these days.

In other news, are we getting a refreshed Sonic, the new Buick crossover, any new Buick cars or a new SRX this year? (Man, the product cadence is terribly slow at GM)

#19 ·
I think they will have their own press event much like the Stingray. I will never forget logging on and watching that automotive erotica on my computer screen. The Camaro was a huge success this gen the first since they hit pause and demands the same type of launch and reveal as its bigger more svelte brother.

#22 ·
LOL. Looks like the gestation period for the revised Shamaro will be just as long as the one for the current brick. I guess the folks at Total Recall Motors can't bring anything out quickly unless it is a new excuse for covering up killing its own buyers.

#25 ·
I'll be disappointed if it does not debut in Detroit, but my biggest concern is......I don't want GM to do its usual rollout where you get the V6 car the first 6 months. Then the V8 car. Then a year later the convertible. Then, 2 years after that the performance models start to show up. Ford is offering the GT350 right after the launch of the new Mustang. I don't want to wait until the final 2-3 years of the 6th Gen Camaro before the good models arrive.

#44 ·
I would suggest the days of early releases from gm are over.....the Wall Street guys like releases closer to on sale date and quite honestly I agree as well..

What's the point of showing a production car a year before release in the showroom....

Doesn't male sense to do so.....a concept showing styling direction is an ok idea for 9 months before release but even that's kind of lame....

It could be Cadillacs time at Detroit....then follow up with a camaro release in April with an on sale order date of July as a 2016 model year?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.