GM Inside News Forum banner

Advanced Tech Tailors 2016 Camaro Driving Experience (April 20 Update)

9K views 77 replies 37 participants last post by  bhobbs 
#1 ·
Advanced Tech Tailors 2016 Camaro Driving Experience
New Drive Mode Selector makes most of performance in multiple drive settings
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2015/apr/0420-camaro.html

DETROIT – New technologies in the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro will enable drivers to tailor the car to the moment, whether it’s heading to work, touring the Pacific Coast Highway or lapping a road course.

“We wanted to build on the flexibility of the current Camaro ZL1, which is great for grand touring, commuting, the drag strip and track days,” said Aaron Link, Camaro lead development engineer. “The new Camaro will be even more adaptable, with up to eight vehicle attributes adjusted to fit a driver’s preference.”

As a result, the all-new Camaro will set the technological benchmark for the segment.

Most of the features can be changed via the new Drive Mode Selector, which includes Snow/Ice, Tour, Sport and – on SS models – Track settings. Calibrations for throttle progression, steering, stability control and more are optimized for each setting.

For the first time the Camaro SS will be available with Magnetic Ride Control, previously available only on the Camaro ZL1. The active damping system offers three preset programs – Tour, Sport and Track – that adjust the ride and handling balance. From there, it reads road and driver inputs at 1,000 times per second, and automatically adjusts the dampers for optimal performance.

Additionally, there is an enhanced dual-mode exhaust system. New electronically controlled valves can bypass the mufflers under spirited acceleration, delivering improved performance and greater sound levels. It also offers personalization options, from a “stealth” mode to a more aggressive “track” mode.

Chevrolet will introduce the all-new, 2016 Camaro on Saturday, May 16, during a special public event at Detroit’s Belle Isle Park.

See less See more
#62 ·
Hate to rain on that parade but Chevrolet has always downgraded power for the Camaro compared to the Corvette. Sooo, since the manual Camaro SS has 426 horses compared to the old C6 Vette at 430 (without dual mode exhaust), knowing this, my guess is that the Camaro will have about 5-10HP less at 450-455HP and probably similar torque figures. Yes it is still looking VERY good! Can't wait to see this thing without camo!

#20 ·
Sounds very expensive but at least there is options.

Going to electric exhaust valves and doing away with the current 1970s (Humbler option on 70 GTO, what? you thought factory bypassed exhaust was a new idea?) vacuum crap is nice.

#25 ·
Track mode only on SS models? I guess there goes the hope of many to have maximum chassis performance package availability with all engines.

Oh well, I'd be a V8 buyer anyway 😉

Gen 6 is definitely shaping up to be awesome!

#32 ·
As a result, the all-new Camaro will set the technological benchmark for the segment.
Seems to me the Gen 4 F-cars set the technological benchmark for the segment. And where did that lead to? Glad to see much of this valued and exciting content is OPTIONAL.

What will a $34,500 next-Gen SS consist of, or will such a car even exist?

I really hope the Camaro team doesn't copy the Corvette team in that way. There is no reason to use the Z/28 badge. The ZL1 badge would work fine and no one would care if it's heavier or packed with technology.
GM has created some serious Brand equity in the Z/28. Maybe the naturally aspirated 500+ horse LT-something that didn't pass muster in the now-heavier C7 Z06 would be more welcomed in a next-Gen Jenny Craig'd Z/28...with a side order sent to Bowling Green for a currently-MIA GS version.

#44 ·
Seems to me the Gen 4 F-cars set the technological benchmark for the segment. And where did that lead to? Glad to see much of this valued and exciting content is OPTIONAL.

What will a $34,500 next-Gen SS consist of, or will such a car even exist?
It's pretty obvious that the next gen Camaro SS will take a heavier toll on your checkbook.

GM has created some serious Brand equity in the Z/28. Maybe the naturally aspirated 500+ horse LT-something that didn't pass muster in the now-heavier C7 Z06 would be more welcomed in a next-Gen Jenny Craig'd Z/28...with a side order sent to Bowling Green for a currently-MIA GS version.
Fingers crossed. Hopefully the Camaro Team understands this.

#33 ·
Will be buying in about year 3 of this product cycle. Everything sounds awesome. I'll just wait to make sure there are no bugs in the system. Very excited to be upgrading from a '99 Z28. Only wish the Z28 was still financially attainable. SS will do (would love a 1LE, but all of this info sounds like the SS and 1LE are merging).

#42 ·
Seems like we are being set up to expect most SSs sticker around $40K. How long will it be till they push $50K MSRP on a dolled up SS - let alone a "Z" super pony.

It seems like Dodge can retain its spot as the most affordable V8 pony.

No wonder sales of the Challenger are growing - and this is an ultra style conscious market with a seven year old body.

#49 ·
#50 ·
Dealers will order what dealers will order, if you don't want what is at the dealer then you have two choices. One choice is to get the vehicles from a different dealer (either go to a different dealer or have a transfer). The other choice is to order your vehicle, you will have to wait something like 6 to 8 weeks to get your vehicle but hey no one else should test drive it and you get exactly what you want.

There has always been an incentive for dealers to order vehicles with as many options as possible. This equates to more profits for that sale if it has as many options as possible (because the options have profit margins attached to them as well). If people in your area is willing to buy those $46,000 2SS 1LE Camaros then guess what your local dealer is going to order?. It isn't rocket science really and it is nothing new.

#51 ·
In reading all these new and advanced goodies in the next Camaro (especially the SS), at the risk of being the only one who raises this question about the 800 pound gorilla in the room everyone else in the room is ignoring....... what kind of price increase over a similarly equipped current gen Camaro will we be looking at here???

Unless GM found a way to make stuff for free or plans on selling Camaro's at a loss, by my tally the Camaro that's emerging is going to be more expensive than the new Mustang, and certainly much more expensive than a similar current gen Camaro.

#57 ·
That was one of the first thing I thought of after reading these press releases.

I do believe GM will keep the pricing competitive with the Mustang because they won't want to price themselves out of the sales leadership position the Camaro has held since returning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.