GM Inside News Forum banner

2017 1LE participating in Best Drivers Car

9K views 67 replies 20 participants last post by  roadkillz 
#1 ·
So the annual Motor Trend Best Drivers Car competition is taking place right now and the 6th gen 1LE is among the cars being considered. While no numbers have been posted, some of the journalists have made comments on social media and it sounds like this car will be very impressive.

Jonny Lieberman said the 1LE did the figure 8 in the same time as the M4 GTS and the GT350R. He also posted that the 1LE hotlapped Laguna Seca and to keep the Z/28's time in mind. My guess is the 1LE will be right on the heels of the Z/28. It will likely be faster than the GT350 around the same track.

See less See more
#8 ·
The price:

Reactions: dslay04
#20 ·
Remember: there will be two 1le's this time. The V-6 will also come in 1le trim.

#11 ·
Well, Leiberman did strongly suggest that it is near Z/28 levels of performance. My mind is already so blown, ISiS has taken credit for it, and the FBI is examining the radicalization process.

#25 ·
Jonny Lieberman said the 1LE did the figure 8 in the same time as the M4 GTS and the GT350R. He also posted that the 1LE hotlapped Laguna Seca and to keep the Z/28's time in mind. My guess is the 1LE will be right on the heels of the Z/28. It will likely be faster than the GT350 around the same track.
Yes, the 1LE is supposedly close to the Z/28. But compared to the GT-350R the 1LE will fall short just as the Z/28 did. Rumor is the GT350R was 2 seconds faster than the 1LE.

Couple of short vids:

#29 ·
Yes, the 1LE is supposedly close to the Z/28. But compared to the GT-350R the 1LE will fall short just as the Z/28 did. Rumor is the GT350R was 2 seconds faster than the 1LE.
The GT-350R is for the Gen 6 Z/28 to worry about. The 1LE being competitive with the "normal" GT-350 is still very impressive IMO.

#34 ·
Hmm, I wonder about that order...

Maybe Ford has headed 1LE off at the pass by making the track pack standard on GT350
Ford did that for '17 GT350 after GM hinted that the standard GT350 was beaten by 1LE...

Adding the equivalent on GM's MRC to GT350 will make a world of difference.

#35 ·
The Track Pack was made standard on the GT350 immediately after Al Oppenheiser made a crack about it being optional when the 1LE had its fluid coolers as standard equipment. This isn't Ford heading anyone off at the pass so much as Ford twitching when GM pokes them with a stick.

It also ensured that the GT350 would cost around ten grand more than the 1LE, which is an awful lot to pay for an exhaust note.

#44 ·
I see I wasn't aware of the issue that some where having with non track pack GT350 Mustangs, it would seem as though this move was mainly due to issues with the car. Though I thought it was understood that the standard GT350 wasn't the track car in the lineup and that you really need to get the R for a track car (or TP for a track day car).

I still do believe that the non R GT350 sits in an odd spot, it is a cool car and if you are factoring that into it then it might make sense to buy. however from a performance/cost standpoint it just doesn't make sense, though it probably brought down cost for the GT350R version of the car otherwise that car. With the changes it is still essentially a base GT Mustang (as far as features and amenities go), a no options 1SS Camaro has a better feature set then it (so does the 1SS 1LE). Yet the car now has a base MSRP of $56,495 (with destination but not including GG tax that should bring the price up to $58,000). You now have the convenience package or the electronic package for $3,000 a piece to get some of those features. Essentially the 2017 GT350 with electronic packages matches the 1LE as far as features go and yet that car is now $61,000 (plus markups).

You still have to contend with the simple reality that the performance of the GT350 and 1LE is going to be similar even with a possibility that the 1LE will beat it on a race track. Even if the 1LE Camaro starts at $45,000 that still makes it $16,000 cheaper with a similarly equipped GT350 Mustang.

Maybe they should have added a bit of cooling to the standard car, then made sure people understood not to track this version of the car while making the electronic package standard. The car probably would have cost $53,000 (before GG tax), though I think this has more to do with consumers being dumb then anything else.

#45 ·
This is the week. Starts off with four videos per day to cover the track testing of the 12 entries. Then later the on-road tests, winner announcement, and of course the "World's Greatest Dragrace 6".

https://www.youtube.com/user/MotorTrend/videos

This is what we have so far for the lap around Laguna Seca:
1. McLaren 570S- 1:34:58
2. Mercedes-AMG GT S - 1:35:30
3. Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R - 1:36:11
4. BMW M4 GTS - 1:37:66

So far far they really like the Mustang.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.