GM Inside News Forum banner

2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R vs. 2015 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 - Head 2 Head Ep. 71

16K views 140 replies 48 participants last post by  Ridgeback12345 
#1 ·

What's the point of having a high rev limiter if all the torque is up high?

#2 · (Edited)
It didn't stop Ford from being faster on track :D.

I think Voodoo engine from Ford will probably be the last naturally aspirated high revving engine v8 coming from Ford.
And for Chevy..i doubt they will build high revving engine for new Z/28 if it ever comes out. Especially not something that can go as high as Voodoo..or even LS7.
It is all forced induction in future.

#3 ·
Please.... this Mustang just went up an old Camaro Z28.. with an engine that was put in play in 2009.. and only beat it by a 1 second. Not impressed at all.

#87 ·
Here's my 2 cents.

The current Z/28 is a pointless indulgence for the engineering guys at Camaro to raid the top drawer of the parts bin, and for Camaro collectors with excess money to have a new toy, not to mention to have new magazine articles for Camaro fanboys to hump in place of Camaro posters and table legs. It was slower than a ZL1, had no more real capability than a 1LE, yet cost as much as a base ZL1 PLUS a V6 Camaro combined (or TWO Camaro SS 1LEs combined). The only ones who look at the 5th gen Z/28 as a great car apparently are the ones who buy things with imagination and monopoly money..... imagination and other people's monopoly money.

The test that I'D like to see is the 2016 Camaro SS against the Shelby GT350.

Consider that with options to even the match, the SS costs roughly the same is not a few dollars more than the Shelby......And consider that the Camaro SS has roughly the same track capability as the base GT350.

Personally, I see the new Camaro SS as a GT350 that you can get on the cheap if you avoid options, or a better BMW M4 without the price gouging and inevitable parking lot keyings, and that's what (for me anyways) makes the new 2016 SS unique and puts it on my list (finally) of things I'd be willing to buy (despite the complaints I've already made known).

As for any future Z/28, If supercharging is part of the game, I would rather call it the ZL1.

IMHO (and I know it's way too late to change whatever's in the pipeline, and I'm under no illusion that my opinion caries roughly the weight of a blade of grass in Pittsburgh's Heinz Field during a Steelers' game) I'd take a new 1LE track package and rename it Z/28. Tweak the LT1 engine, and lose the back seat to make the package complete. Price the thing in the mid 50s and go head to head with the racing version of GT350.

Then, you're one of the people who'd cough up more money for the slower car?

#7 ·
Lol.. Classic. They should have put the Mustang up against an Fbody so they choose have had reeeeal victory. Pathetic

#35 ·
Not only did I admit it was faster.. I went so far as to pause the win in the video.. print screen it.. crop it.. save it... upload it to Tinypic.. and then paste it here on the forum.

What I did say is that a 1 second win of a car vs last year's model is hardly a sound victory IMO. I half believe that the regular NEW SS could've gone around that track and beat them BOTH.

#10 ·
2016 gt350R for the win!

Of course the z28 gen 6 will be faster still.

Biased opinion on my part but still thanks for posting the cool video.

I dig the gt350r but as a two seater I'd choose the 79 grand z06 over it.

I'm sure it's faster still.

#11 ·
The stang is impressive but they benchmarked the wrong ride. I hope they still have some performance left.

#14 ·
I watched the entire video, and they were speachless over the GT350R. I ran out and had my husband watch the video.

If the new next Z/28 is naturally aspirated, I am sure it will outrun the GT350R. If it is F/I it will not be a Z/28, so it will not count.

A new N/A Z/28 that beats the GT350R will not threaten my existence as I have no ***** to shrivel up. I can love all amazing cars.

That said, will have a GT350.

#16 ·
That Ford motor sounds ####$%^&ing awful.

Sorry. It sounds like an old Ferrari V12 with two plug leads off. Loud /= good.

Not impressed. All those revs (with better off-corner thrust), and it was ~ a second faster on a HP track - most of that is simply down to less mass (allegedly 170lb). Bear in mind, the basic engineering on Zeta is fifteen - yes - fifteen years old. The car itself is two.

To live with on the street, wrong gear, out of powerband (how often are you going to sit in traffic at 3500rpm with that exhaust?) it will be dusted by much lesser vehicles. You'll be fair game for LS2 GTOs at stoplight GPs if you're not awake - by the time you wake it up, you'll be braking for the next set of lights.

#17 · (Edited)
WooHoo!! That was awesome!

Okay, I consider myself president of the Z/28 fan club.......and....I am so glad the last Z/28 just got beaten by the GT350R.

Heresy, you say!? Hear me out.

Team Camaro now has an incredible target to shoot for. And if the new Camaro SS is anything to go by, it will be one which I'm sure they'll hit. It also doesn't escape me the the core of these two cars' fantastic personalities are their glorious, free revving, normally aspirated V8s. GM take note. Don't. You. Dare. Put a supercharger in the next Z/28. Don't you dare!

If you can't do it without a blower, just forget the whole thing. Put your tail between your legs take the submissive position and surrender to alpha male Ford.

#22 ·
I know Charlie!! Just watching it got my adrenaline pumping. WOW!!! That engine!! GM, the ball is in your court. Give us a high revving Z/28 to battle the GT350. Charlie against me. You win, and I will hug you and invite you over for BBQ!!!

You lose and it will be the same.

#21 ·
I knew before I watched the video that the GT350r would win this comparison. Nobody should be surprised. Ford would have some serious explaining to do if they didn't win.
Will be interesting to see how Chevy responds.

Any future performance variants of the 6th gen. Camaro should provide a proper a** whoopin' on future Mustang performance cars. We shall see. Good Times !!

#26 ·
This was expected. Ford knew they had to beat the Z/28 and did a good job doing so. The only part of the GT350 I don't like is the exhaust note. It's raspy and blah. I don't know how else to explain it. They tried to force a FPC to rumble like a CPC and it doesn't work.

I'm really hoping GM doesn't dump the LT4 in the car and call it a Z/28. They need to come out big.

#36 ·
Even in Hellcat form.. I don't think the Challenger is up to the task on a track with this many turns

#31 ·
Just out of curiosity I'd like to see the same data for the regular GT350, which would be a little more relevant for me at least. Huge LS7 fan, but the Voodoo wins in my book just with the sound and on the stock exhaust no less. Stock Camaro exhaust is a little quiet it seems like.

#32 ·
Funny how some say that Ford bench marked the wrong car but neatly omit
that the Alpha Camaro was not around before S550 Mustang was released.

Ford has done a great job of delivering something different with GT350,
instead of simply copying the Z28 formula and it's clear that on certain
tracks, momentum cars are going to do well, especially with plenty of HP.

Yeah, the win goes to GT350R and I'm happy but that doesn't make the Z28
any less desirable,Chevrolet will be back - I hope its something clever like
a non AFM high revving 6.2 DI with 500 hp @6500

#34 ·
That's why I'm thinking that a lighter Alpha Z28 with a higher revving non-AFM 6.2 might be just the ticket
in evening up the score here and resetting the bench mark even higher....

I look forward to GM coming back with a great Atmo engine for Z28, it deserves it to show off
the car's brilliant chassis dynamics at the extreme limits...

#41 ·
There is no way GM can justify not making a direct injection small block without super chargers. The Corvette Team is lazy, the Camaro team is not, they should demand their motor. 550 HP 520 lbs ft of torques..

After all there is that 5.5 liter beast at the heart of corvette racing, why can it not be in a production car in some form? Eh? you tell me.

Or else GM needs a new powertrain chief who can deliver.

#43 ·
Ford was able to make the business case work to design this new VooDoo engine for the GT350.

GM would be able to spread out the development cost by placing a new high revving LS7 replacement engine in BOTH the Camaro AND the Corvette.

Business case is not the problem. GM just got lazy and claimed they could not get the LS7 replacement engine to "meet emissions" requirements and still hit the hp target.

I say, GROW A PAIR AND GET YOUR ASS BACK IN THE DYNO ROOM AND FIND A SOLUTION. We put a man on the MOON! THIS IS AMERICA!!!!!!

LOL!!!!

#49 ·
So a brand new car beat a 10 year old Zeta platform.

Color me not impressed. That was expected.

I am shocked however, that it didn't win by more than a second.

#61 ·
It did win by over a second.

For those not impressed with over 1 second per lap, think about the average track session. We are talking 12-15 laps. That is over 13 seconds difference on the low end. That is huge.

The arguement against the GT350, at the beginning, was "wait until it goes up against the Z/28." Now that it is faster than the Z/28, the agreement is, "wow, it beat last generations model with a 10-year-old engine. Not impressed." And, "wait until the 6th Gen Z/28 comes out and blows it away."

The question is, will we then be able to use the "old car vs new car" arguement?? Somehow I'm thinking not.

Btw, both cars are fantastic. One being a little faster than the other does not mean the slower one sucks. They are both far beyond what we can drive that at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.