GM Inside News Forum banner

2016 Chevrolet Camaro spied with less disguise

37K views 163 replies 81 participants last post by  T'Cal 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
2016 Camaro spied with less disguise
World Car Fans
September 29, 2014
By: Michael Gauthier

The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro has been spied wearing less camouflage than ever before.

Caught undergoing testing near the near the Nürburgring, the model has an evolutionary design but adopts an aggressive front fascia with split grille. Moving further back, we can see a bulging hood, a sportier greenhouse and muscular rear fenders. The déjà vu design continues out back as the model has a familiar rear end with slender taillights, a trunk-mounted spoiler and a four-tailpipe exhaust system.

Full article is available at the link.

See less See more
#2 ·
Clearest Look Yet at 2016 Chevy Camaro

The clearest look yet at the 2016 Chevy Camaro
Spies nab the Alpha-based pony car with much less camo.

By Alex Kierstein September 29, 2014 / Photos by Chris Doane Automotive

Last time we saw the 2016 Camaro, it was hiding under tarp-like camo. The tarp has come off, and what's underneath is angrier (and leaner) than the current car—a necessary and happy consequence of its move to the Alpha platform. A sleeker roofline and apparently shorter wheelbase tidy up the lines out back, although the tacked-on decklid is less successful than the old Z/28's ducktail.

Moving around to the front, there are faint echoes of the last Bumblebee Camaro, though this is a lot better. The headlamps are deeply recessed in a split upper grille (although the split itself may be creative misdirection on the part of GM's camouflage artists). The shape of the headlights looks—dare I say it?—almost like the 2015 Mustang, its mortal enemy. The cheap-looking plastic mesh on the lower grille looks temporary, but the important part is the overall effect of the shape, which is unlikely to change much. It's very, very aggressive. Attractive? Sadly, until the swirly camo comes off, it'll be hard to say.

More images and article continued at Road & Track.com...

#14 ·
What I find interesting is that the lower grill doesn't seem to match up with the lower grill seen in previous spy pictures.

The earlier grill seems to be noticeably more narrow, with larger spacing grill slots.

Could Chevrolet be planning different fascias depending on model level?

To be honest, with what can be seen so far in these new pictures- I'm very disappointed (as of now). Overall, it looks way too close to the current car. This should have been a MCE 2 years ago.

#18 ·
We've known for a while now that the car's look would be evolutionary. I love the current gen's looks, but I was one of those hoping for something different. I have no doubts that the Gen 6 Camaro will be a great looking car, as well as a force to be reckoned with in all performance metrics. Its interior should be top notch as well, judging by GM's latest introductions. I was just hoping for a "new" great look, like that of every next generation Camaro distanced itself from its predecessor.

GM played it safe with the Camaro, and I guess I can't blame them. The performance coupe market isn't what it was 30 years ago, and they have to make sure they get a return on their Alpha investment. Like Ford with their new Mustang, Chevrolet took the safe route with the Gen 6 Camaro...

#47 ·
GM played it safe with the Camaro, and I guess I can't blame them. The performance coupe market isn't what it was 30 years ago, and they have to make sure they get a return on their Alpha investment. Like Ford with their new Mustang, Chevrolet took the safe route with the Gen 6 Camaro...
We got the new pick-ups from GM by them playing it safe. Look how that is working out. I think it's time for GM to use a little imagination and not redesign a close copy of their current vehicles.

#21 ·
It won't be a formal roof? :-(

;-)

It's clear they are sticking with the 'pillbox' or gunslit side windows and they door silll was not faked to be higher than it really was.

Seems to have a steep fastback and less overhang. Hope the rear window is not quite so narrow. Overall like it and it has in no way been 'ruined.'

Kinda like the Mustang better from a pure looks standpoint (saw one in the flesh on a trip through MI Saturday) but this will be a better car in getting smaller and lighter.

#22 ·
From what I think I see under all that swirly stuff I'd say the changes will be just fine. It looks to have different more angled taillights and the front looks to me to be similar to the yellow one being shown. It seems the rear quarter window is shaped different too. This is all well and good to me as I've always liked the current car other than the narrow windows, which haven't changed. But then again, that aspect gave it it's cool factor.

#53 ·
That is an interesting shot. You can see that it still retains it's musculat rear haunches. Also, the side glass, (front and rear windows together), form an oval.

#36 ·
If they fix the trunk and interior and it looks similar this new camor will still outsell the new mustang. The current Camaro to me looks very nice. Don't like the tail lights much but overall looks good. Remember this is on new platform and should be less weight with a new interior.

#37 ·
It doesn't look the same, it's different, but evokes the feel of the current model which is a very, very good thing.

They fixed the tail end! That makes me happy right there. I love the new Camaro, but the trunk lid and tail lights of the 2010-2013 models were UGLY. The grill too. The 2014 is better, but still not right IMO. The new c-pillar and roof-line are dead sexy on this one. It pulls from the 2nd gen, specifically the flat window 70 1/2-73 models. My personal favorite Camaro. It looks mean, and the front end looks sleeker when viewed from straight on, fixing another one of my pet peeves about the 5th gen.

#39 ·
Looks evolutionary. But I don't think people realize how awesome the current Camaro design is. Even if it's getting a little long on the tooth.
I'm glad some people on here gets it.

Who wants an end of life cycle car regardless? Lol

I understand what you are saying but if the car looks awesome no one will care except for GMI.
Welcome to Whinersinsidenews.com
After reading the posts on here, I'm actually gonna agree with you 2 on this.......

#41 ·
Reeeeee-lax guion!

Ford managed to go with an evolutionary look on the new Mustang, but the car looks completely different than the outgoing one. It retains familiar styling cues, but as a whole, the car is completely different looking.

This thing, on the other hand, doesn't move the styling bar set by the current Camaro anything. People can say it's still under heavy camouflage, but the basic details can be seen. The front end is very similar, as is the entire side profile. This is more of an MCE on a new chassis than an actual redesign. It'll drive fine and look okay, but it could (and should) be so much more.

#46 ·
Ford managed to go with an evolutionary look on the new Mustang, but the car looks completely different than the outgoing one. It retains familiar styling cues, but as a whole, the car is completely different looking.

This thing, on the other hand, doesn't move the styling bar set by the current Camaro anything. People can say it's still under heavy camouflage, but the basic details can be seen. The front end is very similar, as is the entire side profile. This is more of an MCE on a new chassis than an actual redesign. It'll drive fine and look okay, but it could (and should) be so much more.
I'm not exactly sure how one could state that the Mustang looks like a completely different vehicle, which it doesn't, and that this still camouflaged Camaro is more identical to the current generation. You cannot see the details in the Camaro at all.

While it most certainly is a safe design, it is in no way any safer than what Ford did. The "new" Mustang looks like the old Mustang with subtle changes. It's immediately recognizable as a Mustang. You'd have to be a car junkie, which most folks are not, to recognize the new one without a second or third glance. I'm not sure why you are so upset with Chevrolet, while giving kudos to Ford. You have not seen the finished Chevrolet product. It could be more differentiated than you think, though we now know the basic design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.