GM Inside News Forum banner

What's a fair price for the Z/28?

The Z/28 question that needs to be asked. How much?

7K views 81 replies 27 participants last post by  Camaro_Corvette 
#1 · (Edited)
What's a fair price for our street legal race car?

#3 ·
The one piece of history this Z28 will not be true to is this: it will not be attainable by the common man. In fact, I bet a C7 Corvette will be a more achievable financial hurdle than the Z28. I definitely like the new Z28, save for the awkwardly large splitter and cartoonishly over-sized rear spoiler. However, I think adding a slightly hotter LS3 to the 1LE in conjunction with the option of AC, stereo, back seat delete, etc., would have been truer to the Z28 concept.

Random: everybody says the redesign has Honda Prelude tail lights, but all I see are thirdgen tails.

#13 ·
The one piece of history this Z28 will not be true to is this: it will not be attainable by the common man. In fact, I bet a C7 Corvette will be a more achievable financial hurdle than the Z28.
I agree. In another thread someone made a good case as to why this will cost a bundle more than the 1LE: Hand assembled engine & uber fancy brakes seem like big cost adders, but the cost of the deletions are peanuts. Specifically I couldn't even guess though, I just know it will be expensive.

#5 ·
It should come in under the price of the ZL1. It may be the top dog as far as track times are considered, but with all the equipment that has been removed from the diet, it shouldn't be more expensive than the ZL1.
The engine is hand built so I expect it to be pricey, but not ZL1 pricey. It has no HID's, no A/C, no radio, no Mylink, it doesn't have the more expensive Magnetic Ride Control, etc.. This car at a lower price point will be the bang for the buck car of the decade if they get the price right.

#6 ·
I selected $65K because that's where I think its going to come it at, between $60-65K. I would like for it to be only a $10-15K increase over a 1SS/1LE (~$37K) at $50-52K, however I don't see that actually happening as there are too many "custom" touches the Z/28 gets over the 1SS/1LE. Heck for $60-65K, maybe GM does like they did with the LS7 in the Z06 and let buyers assist in assembling their own engine. ;)

#7 ·
I don't know how I should vote on this, but seeing this is a track only package, I can't see them building a bunch of these. It's not going to be a Woodward cruiser that's for sure. It's gonna be a zillion dollars with a zillion dollar mark up.

#8 · (Edited)
It should come in right between the SS and ZL1 otherwise what's the point in giving up creature comforts for car that will be slower for anyone that buys it unless you are a professional driver who plans to run it on a track, which by the way no one will do.

If we are being honest with each other the only real reason the Z/28 lapped faster was because of the Pirelli PZero Trofeo R tyres that have never been put on a production car before. Certainly on the street or with less than a professional drive the ZL1 will still beat up on the Z/28 and let's not even talk about cheap mods to each car such as a pulley swap on the ZL1.

So in the real world the Z/28 should obviously be cheaper than the ZL1 since it will be at a performance and creature comfort disadvantage.

It's a super cool car but lets not get carried away with bench racing heroics.

Pick a price point between the SS and ZL1.
Right in the middle of the SS (2SS) and the ZL1 would be 46,700. They saved a bunch of money with the deleted items but the motor and tires are super expensive so I will bump up my guess to $49,999 because they won't make a ton of them and they will be able to easily sell the low allotment. Anymore money than that and you would have to be high because of the ZL1.

#21 · (Edited)
The ceramic brakes alone are around $8K with calipers and all. I'm pretty sure the dry sumped LS7 isn't cheap, I am guessing around $15K or more. If the wheels are 19x10 inch forged another $4k to $6k, not including the super sticky track oriented tires. $48k is wishful thinking. $65k is probably where it will be at. BTW Nice Job GM, great looking car I hope collectors don't buy these and stash them away it would be a waste.

#16 ·
How many does GM want to sell? Many or just a few?

#18 ·
I have a sweet spot in my head of what the Z/28 should cost and that is somewhere below a ZL1. It would be hard for me to imagine that GM got so many things right with this car and then blew the price.

#31 ·
If they price it right and market an optional sound system (even lower tier one) with the A/C for it, they might sell more than they anticipate. If they are strict in options and high on price, it will be a well off persons collector car. I think they should mostly be driven. I'd like to see more of them on the street than the ZL1, which you almost never see. They're not even a presence. Just another car show/cruise night piece really. That's fine and all, but most cars like that are just delegated to being cruisers instead of doing work like they're meant to.

#32 · (Edited)
It would be nice but I think this car will be more rare than the ZL1. I think most of the people who can afford this car will buy a ZL1 before this car because the ZL1 will be faster for them and have all the creature comforts along with a nicer ride.

You also won't have to worry about $3000 tire changes every 15,000 miles not to mention however much those brakes cost (insane) to replace. Don't discount $3000 tire changes either because even people who are well off have a value on things and that will be pricey to anyone if you have to change them every year.

It's just not a car that lends itself to be driven a lot so don't expect to see them too often. I'm thinking you will see plenty of these up for sale once the owners need tires and brakes and are blown away when they see the estimate.

#36 ·
It's going to cost much more than ZL1.
Why? First, they had to cut a lot out of the car, and when you start cutting stuff out of the car, that costs money.
Second is the limited run, hand built LS7 that costs more than the non-hand built LSA. The Z/28 will use up the rest of the inventory of LS7s as Wixom winds down.
Third: Carbon Ceramic brakes. For those of you who might not venture to Porsche websites, CC brake options tend to range from 9-15k.
Fourth: special tires, smaller forged wheels, standard Recaros, upgrades suspension and ZL1's calipers

Don't expect to see a Z/28 for under 60k.

#37 ·
Quite frankly, I think GM has all the power in the world with this car...it's not being released until calendar year 2014...6th generation is coming in 2015.

We have a roughly one and a half year run of a historic nameplate that is unbeatable on the track, GM can price it close to $100,000 and they will still have people lined up to buy it.

#43 ·
In my youth when I first started driving in the mid 70s... I had a convertible firebird 350 and it was a beautiful car....back then...many opted for convertibles instead of air conditioning....I think both were about a $500 dollar option when the car new was around $3500 dollars..

So both were considered big ticket options..

Even with a convertible top...man there were days it was hot ....

I also had a turbocharged mid engine lancia scorpion where the engine build took out the usually non working a/c ..

There were days....that made me realize the value of a/c....

For those that go for the car without a/c......god bless you......

I won't be doing that again even on weekend toys...

Those couple of pounds are well worth it...

Being comfortable has value....even in raw sports cars...

JMO and as many suggested most will have a/c added and chevy is just sending a message this car is hardcore...and that's smart...just do media testing in the cooler months or the press will crucify the car

I'd rather have a removable rear seat....than no a/c..

Jmo...and the z28 is cool.....

#44 ·
If I were buying one, I'd order it without a/c or radio, in white with black interior (presuming there will even be other color options..). Reasons:

1. My first car was a '91 Camaro RS. It was white with the base black/grey houndstooth interior--1 piece buckets and vinyl door panels, I think the only option it had was the L03 V8. Otherwise, it was no air, no pw or pl, no defroster, no t-tops, no cruise, no automatic. I think the AM/FM Cassette and other stuff like delay wipers, ps & pb, that used to be options in years past were standard (maybe the cassette was an option too, not sure). Though in most ways the new Z/28 couldn't be more different, I still feel there is some kinship to my first car that I don't feel at all for any other current Camaro.

2. It would be a fair weather toy, and if I got a/c and a radio I'd feel like its 'less pure,' like putting all season tires on a race car. Don't get me wrong I'm glad they're optional; if I were the product planner I'd have also made them options, choice is good. But for me personally, I won't be getting a non-soundproofed car to cruise with the tunes on, & probably wouldn't take it out for some hot laps in 90F+days. I had a fairly optioned Z28 after the Camaro RS, once it became my weekend toy (retired DD) I basically never used the a/c. Again just me, YMMV.

#45 ·
Even though this car is fantastic, I don't think that anyone expected a Z28 quite like this or as out of reach as it seems it's going to be. I'd say that most of us were content with a 1LE with the LS7 being the Z28. That car with the new 14's looks would have done it. Maybe the rim/tiress too. It would have been more attainable and still worthy of the name. Most people were happy with a 475HP LS3. But you have to respect the exclamation point that they put on the 5th Gen. I think I'd rather not see the car so expensive or outrageous in the 6th Gen though.

#46 ·
If it comes in at 65k, then the other problem it has is that's crowded territory for performance cars. The new C7 (with more creature comforts) will probably sticker in the 55k to 65k range and I wouldn't be surprised if it's just as good around a track as the Z/28, if not better. Add in other track toys like the new Cayman S and the enormous used sports car market at $65k, and I think Z/28s will be sold only to the most faithful Camaro fans.

I think the LS7 1LE would have been truer to the Z/28 heritage and more in line with fan expectations, but the treatment of the Z/28, Z28, IROC-Z, Z28 SS, etc., has been inconsistent from generation to generation, so it doesn't really matter.

It's still an awesome car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.