Will The Z/28's Spool-Valve Dampers Make MRC Obsolete?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will The Z/28's Spool-Valve Dampers Make MRC Obsolete?

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks

Will The Z/28's Spool-Valve Dampers Make MRC Obsolete?

The F1 inspired tech does make Magnetic Ride Control seem like needless fluff.

This from GM:

The Camaro Z/28 is the one of the first production cars fitted with race-proven, spool-valve dampers. Compared to a conventional damper that offers only two-way tuning for bump and rebound, a spool-valve damper allows four-way adjustment to precisely tune both bump and rebound settings for high-speed and low-speed wheel motions. The wider tuning range allowed engineers to dramatically increase the damper stiffness on the Camaro Z/28 without a significant change in ride quality. Additional chassis changes include stiffer string rates and suspension bushings for improved cornering response.
    Last edited by Z284ever; 04-02-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Will The Z/28's Spool-Valve Dampers Make MRC Opsolete?

Sounds good yet how's the ride compared to the ZL1?

Its a factor in street cars to a degree.

Thanks for posting up

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar LetsRace's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

Re: Will The Z/28's Spool-Valve Dampers Make MRC Obsolete?

MRC is the perfect compromise for street and track use. These are more track focused.

Thanks

Re: Will The Z/28's Spool-Valve Dampers Make MRC Opsolete?

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeNjury View Post
    Sounds good yet how's the ride compared to the ZL1?

Its a factor in street cars to a degree.

Thanks for posting up
    Apparently, the ride is not at all objectionable on the street, yet with much stiffer damping than the ZL1 or 1LE.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

Thanks

This is what Mark Stielow had to say about them:

They’re a formula one technology; A new valving technology that we wanted to look at. With a niche-market car we can sometimes look at really new technologies, and these new dampers were one of them.

They’ve got a unique spool valve inside that allows us to almost draw the shock curve we want, and laser-etch it into the valve. So it really quickened up the development process, and allowed us to do some stuff with the shock valving that’s not as easy to do with a more traditional shock.

It’s a different technology then even the MR, which has more of a bi-modal operation. It’s more firm, but in a track car it really plants the car well. At Virginia International Raceway, when we were testing it, coming up through the high-speed esses, the car was just nailed down and felt great.

He also said this regarding it's streetability:

If you’ve ever driven a car like the Porsche 911 or something like that, it has a very athletic feel. The spring rates are higher, the ride frequencies are higher, the car’s a lighter weight car, the gearbox is nice and short throws with the high-compression LS7…it’s a very athletic feeling Camaro. It’s very light and nimble.

Speaking of driving it every day, we did an eight-hour night ride where we drove 300 miles in one night. And the car is just a hoot to drive on the street.
    Last edited by Z284ever; 04-02-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

MRC allows for a pleasant duality but as shown with the 1LE a steady state suspension setup designed with more singularity can also be quite effective.

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

MRC allows PTM to have five distinct modes...I can't see this having more flexibility than MRC. Now, if you could only pick one static setup with the the most dialed in tuning, spool-valve dampers are the way to go.

I would love to see spool-valve dampers on an ultimate track edition C7 Z06, like the Z06 Carbon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Magnetic Ride Control seem like needless fluff.
    You might remember me stating (ranting) exactly that ten or twenty times over the years.
    Korry - Another CZ28 refugee

1996 Z28 - cone killer - 96 ESP
    2003 Silverado 2500HD - cone killer hauler
    2013 Sonic hatch - 1.4L of raging turbo fury
    2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T M6 - wife's business suit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
    You might remember me stating (ranting) exactly that ten or twenty times over the years.
    I do indeed!

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

If you believe MRC to be useless fluff I would suggest that you drive a ZL1 which is a relatively comfortable porcine car that actually happens to hold the road in a notable way.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    IS 350

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyLac10 View Post
    MRC allows PTM to have five distinct modes...I can't see this having more flexibility than MRC. Now, if you could only pick one static setup with the the most dialed in tuning, spool-valve dampers are the way to go.
    Totally agree.
    MRC will give you way more flexibility for a street car that has to adapt to unlimited road irregularities. You can set up a spool-valve or any other traditionally valved shock for a specific, typically smooth racetrack but for the best on the street and the best on the track nothing matches the MRC.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    If you believe MRC to be useless fluff I would suggest that you drive a ZL1 which is a relatively comfortable porcine car that actually happens to hold the road in a notable way.

Actually, MRC works really well. But obviously, GM chose something else for the Z/28 for a reason.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Actually, MRC works really well. But obviously, GM chose something else for the Z/28 for a reason.
    Yes because as I mentioned previously its duality was not needed in this case, and for a focused track car like the Z/28 it makes perfect sense. Ford also does not offer its two mode Bilstein system that is offered on the GT500 as an option on the Boss 302, and instead goes with a fixed setup as well.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Race tracks are generally smooth and ten years ago I would have sad MRC type suspension systems are fluff but not these days. ( f45 in tHe old days on early c5 corvettes)

Real world...keeping the tires in contact with the street is paramount and MRC rules.

Now I don't know enough about the shocks on the z28 to make a statement one way or the other...especially if it's a breakthrough design.

Thanks for the heads up as I initially thought GM would have gone MRC that they license (delco) to Ferrari for the 458 iTalia....

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    Race tracks are generally smooth and ten years ago I would have sad MRC type suspension systems are fluff but not these days. ( f45 in tHe old days on early c5 corvettes)

Real world...keeping the tires in contact with the street is paramount and MRC rules.

Now I don't know enough about the shocks on the z28 to make a statement one way or the other...especially if it's a breakthrough design.

Thanks for the heads up as I initially thought GM would have gone MRC that they license (delco) to Ferrari for the 458 iTalia....
    From the specifications I have perused about the 458 Challenge it as well does not carry over the street cars MRC system. As I previously noted the duality simply is not needed for a car with a singularity to its design like the Z/28 or 458 Challenge.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information