Will the fifth generation see an LT1?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will the fifth generation see an LT1?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Will the fifth generation see an LT1?

With the 2014 C7 and the 2014 pickups using the new smallblock, do you think the Camaro will see use of the new engine before the planned 2016 6th generation. Even if you go by the usual standard of the camaro using the new powerplant a year later, that still leaves the last year of the 5th generation available to use the new LT1 engine.

Will they do it? Will they just wait? Will it happen with the 2014 or 2015 model if it does? Will the camaro get a little refresh along with it (think early vs late 4th gen when the LS1 was introduced)?

Discuss...

I can see them using it, just to simplify their own process. I haven't seen if they are using the current place that produces the LS engines to build the new LT1 or not. If they are separate facilities, I suppose the LS engine could still be produced with ease.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Will the fifth generation see an LT1?

I think they should. There is no reason not to, other than cost.

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks

The timing of the C7, new trucks and Gen V smallblock are no accident. GM would have to spend a few bucks recertifying the 5th gen Camaro for the LT1, but it would probably create some interest in the car's swan song.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

Thanks

They could just bump the price another $1-2k to recoup the difference...it would get everyone prepared for the price of the next gen, too.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

For competitive reasons and to encourage last years' sales, GM should bring out the LT1 as soon as it's ready. Plus a new engine in an old body would make the old model more desirable. It could combat Mustang sales. The new Camaro will sell great with existing engines because it's new, so there isn't a good reason to wait.

Thanks

New Mustang comes out as a 2015 right? Use the LT1 in the Camaro as a way to steal some of the thunder back. The performance boost from it wouldn't hurt either for the comparisons.
    Join the Code 130R Facebook Group! http://www.facebook.com/groups/250698485001606

"Trying to be the world's fastest trombonist is like trying to be the world's tallest midget."
    Alan Raph, NYC Bass Trombonist

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

I don't know if there are many guys who switch from Mustang to Camaro or vice versa, but for those who do switch, getting someone to buy a new-engined Camaro just before the 2015 Mustang comes out would not only steal thunder, but also SALES!

Thanks

I believe LS motors are still built in Romulus, MI. The new LT1 is bieng built in NY (Ticonderoga, I think). Both engines can be built at the same time. Not sure if it makes sense though. Depends on how many other vehicles can still benefit from LS motors. Also, they may need LS motor production in place because they won't have enough LT1s for some time. I mean, every new Vette, V8 Silv/Sierra 1500, Tahoe/Yukon, Suburban/XL, Escalade is going to get a Gen 5 motor. That's a lot of ramp up.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 WoodieLongRoof's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    True Buick "muscle"

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    The timing of the C7, new trucks and Gen V smallblock are no accident. GM would have to spend a few bucks recertifying the 5th gen Camaro for the LT1, but it would probably create some interest in the car's swan song.
    ...in ONE Model, appropriately named and currently MIA...

Thanks

Why on earth would you go through all the engineering work for ONE model?

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks

As far as the OP's question - it appears no.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

It'd be nice to see an LT1 Z28 or something. But I don't expect that kind of thing from the same idiots that thought it'd be a good idea to name a new LS-like series of engine after one that just left in the 4th Gen. Chevy needs to rethink it's naming policies. ZL1? 1LE as a model name? Chevrolet SS? No Z28? LT1 again? Seriously?? What's next?!
    Z28 is the Iconic Top Model Camaro.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I don't see GM stacking a bunch of LS3s in a warehouse to tide them over for the time period between St. Catherine's Gen 5 switch over and the debut of the Alpha Camaro. Does anyone here work there and know how Gen 5 production will affect LS3 production?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I would have thought the new mustang release in 2014 would have chevy moving the New LT1 into the current generation camaro..

The LT1 should offer better performance and fuel efficiency...than the l99 and ls3 engines.

I would expect upgrades to the transmissioons possibly as well.

Just an opinion

JB

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 IOM Camaro 1LT

Quote Originally Posted by free_energy0 View Post
    I don't see GM stacking a bunch of LS3s in a warehouse to tide them over for the time period between St. Catherine's Gen 5 switch over and the debut of the Alpha Camaro. Does anyone here work there and know how Gen 5 production will affect LS3 production?
    GM was still putting the 3800 Series III V6 into cars years after production ended. Don't quote me on this but that was probably a case of overproduction on purpose so that they could shut the lines down for a while so they could ramp up 3.6 production.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information