GM Inside News Forum banner

Why is Chevy testing 80s Camaros with its next-generation model?

24K views 123 replies 60 participants last post by  Timekeeper 
#1 ·
Why is Chevy testing 80s Camaros with its next-generation model?
Autoblog
By Brandon Turkus
Posted Oct 23rd 2014 3:29PM

It's not unusual to see a new car, camo-covered and mysterious, testing alongside the current-generation model. In fact, it's pretty common. Seeing a brand-new car testing alongside its predecessor from 30 years prior, though, is downright unusual.

For reasons we can't even begin to comprehend, Chevrolet is doing just that, testing the next-generation Camaro alongside pristine third-gen models (really, they are damn clean examples of the breed). It's tough to tell what's going on with these manufacturer-plated F-Bodies, but according to our spies, one of the two examples allegedly had an intercooler and a distinctly V6 engine note. Your guess is as good as ours, here – SEMA specials in the making?

*Full Article w/Pictures at Link

#5 ·
Maybe the Gen 6 will have a T-Top or Targa option and that is why the roof is so heavily disguised? If they can have convertible versions of the Corvette and existing Camaro with excellent structural rigidity, then making a T-Top/Targa should be be a snap. As to why it's testing along side the third generation is anyone's guess.

#6 ·
Excuse me for shouting but, "YEAH BABY THOSE 3rd GENs LOOK NICE!". Love those sharp edges (lookin' like they belong runnin' laps on a NASCAR track). Don't forget the classic 4 headlight system and of course gotta love the 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Heritage Package Z28's with leather, hood blisters, high rise rear spoiler, and an L98 iron block TPI mated to a 700R4 tranny...ahh artwork. Pure, beautiful artwork!

MAN I wish the 6th Gen had a few tricks up its sleeve, and grabbed some sweet styling queues from the 3rd Gen.

Ok I'm done. Let the hate begin... :D

#25 ·
The 6th-gen might be the lightest in 30 years, but the lightest Camaro ever would probably a lightly equipped, 2.5 Iron Duke-powered '82 base car, which weighed in at under 3000 lbs.

In fact, iroczone.com lists the base '82 car's curb weight at 2875 lbs!!

#9 · (Edited)
Geez.... really need to ask the question ?

Lemme' see..... ( 10........32 ) + 30 = big part of the next buyer group.

#12 ·
Might just be for fun. The high the Camaro team must be on after the past few years HAS to have created a good vibe at Chevrolet. Why not have some fun? Maybe a few of the engineers have classic Camaros and wanted a chance to race them around a track. There could be no genuine reason related to the new model, so I like to think that it's a bunch of gearheads who took the opportunity to race their cars with the new breed, and I love it. What better way to keep the Camaro guys excited about their jobs???

A few years back I did vehicle testing with my company in Spain. We had two weeks of high-speed testing on a 7 km oval track. At the end of the week we had some free time so we drove all of the vehicles we had in our group at max speed just to see what they could do. We even took a Renault Master utility van. It was a laugh after two long (but fun!) weeks of work. Engineers are people too!

#15 ·
Gotta entice the gold chain crowd somehow.

#72 · (Edited)
Hey! That's offensive. You should have said the gold chain + IROC crowd (of which I'm certainly one!)

:)
I like the suggestion one commenter made on the original page RE they are validating there over the counter crate engines with a goal of offering the GEN V and OR the TT V6 as crate
The folks at AutoEvolution maybe thinking along the same lines --- but the don't mention the aftermarket or crate engines.

2016 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible Spied Next to Turbo V6-Powered Third-Gen Model

The General Motors test vehicle group also featured a 1980s third-gen F-body Camaro looking absolutely pristine. Wearing M plates (manufacturer plates), this red blast from the past allegedly hides something very interesting under its retro bodywork.

According to the forum's administrator, the guy that snapped the F-body on film has a mechanic's background and "he swears that the 80s Camaro was rocking an intercooler, and sounded like some sort of turbocharged V6." Interesting… rumor has it the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro will adopt Cadillac's 2L turbocharged four-pot mill to battle with the all-new 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost's 2.3L powerplant.

However, the man says he heard a V6 sound, which begs the question if that 1980s Chevrolet Camaro is some sort of test bed for a revised variant of the 3.6 twin-turbo V6 that provides the Cadillac CTS with a hefty 420 horsepower and 430 lb-ft.

#17 · (Edited)
Powertrain testing or not, they could have chosen better looking examples than those base models, but the 3rd Gens are what I think Chevy is possibly going after with the 6th Gen. During their run, 3rd Gens were fun, lighter than the previous models, and better handling than any musclecar ever, along with better looks than anything on the road at the time. They sold great and didn't need starring movie roles to do it. Everyone and their friend had one. Capturing just a piece of the personality or impact that those car had on the buying public would be an epic win for GM. They did pretty good with the 5ths in that regard, but the Alpha chassis should bring a more 3rd Gen-like feel to the 6th Gen. We've already seen that it's lower with tidier dimensions and is supposed to be lighter than the previous models, once again. It also still carries the current 3rd-like headlight recesses and bar style taillight. The wheels look IROC related. You also have to wonder if there will be a T-top or targa top kind of option.

#36 ·
Those crate engines are going to come out eventually.

I'm not sure, but is seems like I'm seeing a different rear axle/suspension than a standard 3rd-gen behind the exhaust.

Could this be a mule testing some sort of lower cost Alpha rear suspension for a Code 130r type of car? This could be why the two 3rd-gen cars appear to be riding a little higher.
That is a very interesting idea I hadn't thought of. Hmm. I'm ok with a live axle set up in a sub Camaro C130R type of car.

#29 ·
3rd Gen would be the perfect 6th gen inspiration as opposed to 2nd gen. 3rd gen is old enough to be classic, but yet has a design theme that can easily be tweaked for modern. Unlike many cars lines of past and today, Camaro's have shown considerable design leaps with each generation. I'd love to see some 3rd gen in a 2016.....2nd gen not so much. Heck, all this Camaro talk has got me excited to drive my Camaro to work today. I've had it a year and it's got 1,800 miles....which is more than I plan on driving it in following years. I just drove it a bit more this past year to make sure its broke in and no warranty issues. It's been solid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.