SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69

Thread: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

  1. #1
    News Contributor 91 s-10baja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    6,138
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 129 Times in 57 Posts

    SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

    www.TESTDRIVEJUNKIE.com

    My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    http://www.facebook.com/testdrivejunkie
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    3,117
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 61 Times in 36 Posts
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

    Re: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

    Makes me really anxious to see how they top it with the C7 ZR1.
    Proud owner of two elegant/classy GMCs:

    2008 GMC Sierra "All Terrain" Crew Cab 5.3L/FFV - Stealth Gray Metallic/Ebony
    2009 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3L - Switchblade Silver/Ebony

    Future owner of another classy GMC Sierra "All Terrain"

  4. #3
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,710
    Thanks
    475
    Thanked 83 Times in 53 Posts

    Re: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

    0:21

    love the fact the Viper has 2 more liters and cylinders but makes less torque and almost less net horsepower - must be embarrasing for SRT ...

  5. #4
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 StormHunter77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    795
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts

    Re: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

    I love the C6, but man does the C7 already look more monstrous than the current ZR-1! I wonder what the new ZR-1 will look like?SPMKI2TFront.jpg (The photo illustrates how it'll probably feel anyhow.

  6. #5
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    760
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts

    Re: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

    Quote Originally Posted by camaro_freak View Post
    0:21

    love the fact the Viper has 2 more liters and cylinders but makes less torque and almost less net horsepower - must be embarrasing for SRT ...
    It's certainly capable of more power (no replacement for displacement... but you can fake it to a point with forced induction). I would assume they are leaving room for improvement/special editions.

  7. #6
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Savannah
    Posts
    4,794
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 248 Times in 193 Posts

    Re: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

    It's about as expected, the Viper is designed to be brutish (though not as bad in the newer car), and though the Zr1 is getting a little long in the tooth it's an amazingly well balanced car.

    I think we are going to see that the C7 Z51 is going to put down road course times simular to the C6 Z06. It won't beat it in te quarter mile but, if you look at what GM did with the ZL1 it was pure magic. The car has a ton of weight to manage but it just puts power down so well that it is posting crazy lap times.We will see a huge jump in road course performance in the C7. The C7 has a lot going for it. The Brakes are putting out ZR1 like stopping distances (though I doubt they will get the fade resistance), the engine has a power band a lot like the LS7, and it has all the magical features found in the ZL1 (MRC, PTM) plus the ELSD. I think the car will be able to manage traction much better on and off corners.

  8. #7
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Back in Edmonton
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 26 Times in 11 Posts

    Re: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

    Quote Originally Posted by camaro_freak View Post
    0:21

    love the fact the Viper has 2 more liters and cylinders but makes less torque and almost less net horsepower - must be embarrasing for SRT ...
    Ummm ... that's like saying the Camaro SS' 6.2 is embarrassing for GM because the 5.8L in the GT500 destroys it in HP and torque.

    You can't compare forced induction to NA.

  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    694
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts

    Re: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

    I loved the Viper when it first arrived. I was back in college and literally studied this car more than I did homework. I was wondering what it would do to my beloved Ferrari. I wondered how it would stack up against my new found love, The Chevrolet Corvette. The Viper just doesn't have the heritage or legacy the Chevrolet Corvette does. Nor does it IMO have the class and sophistication. Sergio blemished the Vipers legacy when he no longer called it a Dodge. It instantly became less valuable in my eyes. The legacy and history was no longer in tact. SRT means absolutely nothing to me. He in fact ruined it breaking the legacy and heritage chain or connection. You just don't do that. I thought more of Sergio than this. As far as I'm concerned, they're starting all over from scratch. And they had well over a decade under their belt too that they just tossed out the window for no real reason.

    That video is a testament to Chevrolet Smallblock power. Since 1955. Unblemished.

  10. #9
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,765
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts

    Re: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

    Quote Originally Posted by camaro_freak View Post
    0:21

    love the fact the Viper has 2 more liters and cylinders but makes less torque and almost less net horsepower - must be embarrasing for SRT ...
    Not really embarrassing at all. Just two different ways to get to nearly the same performance capability.

    People can make light of how they accomplished it, "SRT has 2 more liters" or "The Chevy had to use a super charger with X pounds of boost".

    What matters at the end of it all is how well it performs on the intent. They both seem to have done pretty well.

    Quote Originally Posted by smithb View Post
    It's certainly capable of more power (no replacement for displacement... but you can fake it to a point with forced induction).
    That phrase, "there's no replacement for displacement" has been proven wrong so many times its well past old. Need evidence, compare what you have here a NA 8.4 liter versus the FI 6.2, both within 2HP. Given this scientific validation most would come to a conclusion that forced induction is a fine alternative for substitution of displacement.

    Quote Originally Posted by bangstudios View Post
    You can't compare forced induction to NA.
    Sure you can, they just did in the head to head posted by the OP.
    Last edited by joemac; 01-16-2013 at 05:25 PM.

  11. #10
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 donmateo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Racine, WI
    Posts
    2,115
    Thanks
    170
    Thanked 371 Times in 199 Posts
    My Ride
    2012 Impala LTZ "Nancy"

    Re: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

    The C7 ZR1 better have a million HP or I won't buy it.

    But on a serious note, it seems as if GM knows what's at stake here with the new C7. I don't anticipate a lackluster performance.
    www.basilonestopshop.com
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Channel: C00120B93
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Customer Service Chat Available

  12. #11
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 hrcslam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Posts
    3,021
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 41 Times in 29 Posts
    My Ride
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

    Re: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

    Quote Originally Posted by joemac View Post
    That phrase, "there's no replacement for displacement" has been proven wrong so many times its well past old. Need evidence, compare what you have here a NA 8.4 liter versus the FI 6.2, both within 2HP. Given this scientific validation most would come to a conclusion that forced induction is a fine alternative for substitution of displacement.


    I disagree. That 8.4 boosted to match the 6.2L would destroy it in power. The saying still remains true. But whether that power is necessary is a different question all together.

    All things being equal, the larger displacement will always push more power. It's inherent by the laws of physics.


    1995 Camaro Z28 LT1 LE2 355, 230/238 .565/.565" 110+6, 1.6:1 SA RR, LT Headers with ORY, T-56 (rebuilt w/ some upgrades), Ram HDx Clutch, Lowered 1.25" LCA Relocation brackets, Adj Panhard Bar, Poly suspension bushings, STB , CAI, !emissions crap, Magna Flow Cat Back. 150,xxx miles. 414rwhp
    2001 Suburban, lowered (3/5) Magna flow, free mods, CAI, tune, built 4L60e. 200,xxx miles.

  13. #12
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 chevypowa670's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    chicagoland
    Posts
    3,896
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 90 Times in 58 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

    Re: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

    Another win for the Corvette, no suprise.
    "What about that "best all-around subcompact car" business? Yeah, we're gonna say it: The Chevy Sonic – manual or auto – is just that. You heard it, Fiesta fanatics"

    -Inside line.

  14. #13
    DGA
    DGA is offline
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,028
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 186 Times in 117 Posts

    Re: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

    Thanks for posting that. I always knew that the ZR1 is a one bad ass mother-****er, but man I did not think it was THAT bad ass.

  15. #14
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,648
    Thanks
    110
    Thanked 182 Times in 90 Posts
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

    Re: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

    Quote Originally Posted by hrcslam View Post
    All things being equal, the larger displacement will always push more power. It's inherent by the laws of physics.
    Not exactly. All things being equal, a larger engine will make more torque, but it needs more total airflow to make more overall power. If you can't move more air through the valves and heads the increase in torque will just shift the power band to a lower RPM range.

  16. #15
    Walking
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

    image.jpg

    Was on the Corvette FB page as ZR1 Concept.

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2