SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

Thanks

SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

www.TESTDRIVEJUNKIE.com

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    http://www.facebook.com/testdrivejunkie
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

Re: SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head

Makes me really anxious to see how they top it with the C7 ZR1.
    Proud owner of two elegant/classy GMCs:

2008 GMC Sierra "All Terrain" Crew Cab 5.3L/FFV - Stealth Gray Metallic/Ebony
    2009 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3L - Switchblade Silver/Ebony

Future owner of another classy GMC Sierra "All Terrain"

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

0:21

love the fact the Viper has 2 more liters and cylinders but makes less torque and almost less net horsepower - must be embarrasing for SRT ...

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 StormHunter77's Avatar
    Thanks

I love the C6, but man does the C7 already look more monstrous than the current ZR-1! I wonder what the new ZR-1 will look like?SPMKI2TFront.jpg (The photo illustrates how it'll probably feel anyhow.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_freak View Post

love the fact the Viper has 2 more liters and cylinders but makes less torque and almost less net horsepower - must be embarrasing for SRT ...
    It's certainly capable of more power (no replacement for displacement... but you can fake it to a point with forced induction). I would assume they are leaving room for improvement/special editions.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

It's about as expected, the Viper is designed to be brutish (though not as bad in the newer car), and though the Zr1 is getting a little long in the tooth it's an amazingly well balanced car.

I think we are going to see that the C7 Z51 is going to put down road course times simular to the C6 Z06. It won't beat it in te quarter mile but, if you look at what GM did with the ZL1 it was pure magic. The car has a ton of weight to manage but it just puts power down so well that it is posting crazy lap times.We will see a huge jump in road course performance in the C7. The C7 has a lot going for it. The Brakes are putting out ZR1 like stopping distances (though I doubt they will get the fade resistance), the engine has a power band a lot like the LS7, and it has all the magical features found in the ZL1 (MRC, PTM) plus the ELSD. I think the car will be able to manage traction much better on and off corners.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Ummm ... that's like saying the Camaro SS' 6.2 is embarrassing for GM because the 5.8L in the GT500 destroys it in HP and torque.

You can't compare forced induction to NA.

Banned
    Thanks

I loved the Viper when it first arrived. I was back in college and literally studied this car more than I did homework. I was wondering what it would do to my beloved Ferrari. I wondered how it would stack up against my new found love, The Chevrolet Corvette. The Viper just doesn't have the heritage or legacy the Chevrolet Corvette does. Nor does it IMO have the class and sophistication. Sergio blemished the Vipers legacy when he no longer called it a Dodge. It instantly became less valuable in my eyes. The legacy and history was no longer in tact. SRT means absolutely nothing to me. He in fact ruined it breaking the legacy and heritage chain or connection. You just don't do that. I thought more of Sergio than this. As far as I'm concerned, they're starting all over from scratch. And they had well over a decade under their belt too that they just tossed out the window for no real reason.

That video is a testament to Chevrolet Smallblock power. Since 1955. Unblemished.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Not really embarrassing at all. Just two different ways to get to nearly the same performance capability.

People can make light of how they accomplished it, "SRT has 2 more liters" or "The Chevy had to use a super charger with X pounds of boost".

What matters at the end of it all is how well it performs on the intent. They both seem to have done pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by smithb View Post
    It's certainly capable of more power (no replacement for displacement... but you can fake it to a point with forced induction).
    That phrase, "there's no replacement for displacement" has been proven wrong so many times its well past old. Need evidence, compare what you have here a NA 8.4 liter versus the FI 6.2, both within 2HP. Given this scientific validation most would come to a conclusion that forced induction is a fine alternative for substitution of displacement.

Quote Originally Posted by bangstudios View Post
    You can't compare forced induction to NA.
    Sure you can, they just did in the head to head posted by the OP.
    Last edited by joemac; 01-16-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala LTZ "Nancy"

The C7 ZR1 better have a million HP or I won't buy it.

But on a serious note, it seems as if GM knows what's at stake here with the new C7. I don't anticipate a lackluster performance.
    www.basilonestopshop.com
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Channel: C00120B93
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Customer Service Chat Available

Thanks
    My Ride
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by joemac View Post
    That phrase, "there's no replacement for displacement" has been proven wrong so many times its well past old. Need evidence, compare what you have here a NA 8.4 liter versus the FI 6.2, both within 2HP. Given this scientific validation most would come to a conclusion that forced induction is a fine alternative for substitution of displacement.

I disagree. That 8.4 boosted to match the 6.2L would destroy it in power. The saying still remains true. But whether that power is necessary is a different question all together.

All things being equal, the larger displacement will always push more power. It's inherent by the laws of physics.

Good Luck is when hard work meets opportunity.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

Another win for the Corvette, no suprise.
    "What about that "best all-around subcompact car" business? Yeah, we're gonna say it: The Chevy Sonic – manual or auto – is just that. You heard it, Fiesta fanatics"

-Inside line.

DGA
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Thanks for posting that. I always knew that the ZR1 is a one bad ass mother-****er, but man I did not think it was THAT bad ass.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by hrcslam View Post
    All things being equal, the larger displacement will always push more power. It's inherent by the laws of physics.
    Not exactly. All things being equal, a larger engine will make more torque, but it needs more total airflow to make more overall power. If you can't move more air through the valves and heads the increase in torque will just shift the power band to a lower RPM range.

Walking
    Thanks

image.jpg

Was on the Corvette FB page as ZR1 Concept.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information