GM Inside News Forum banner

Spied: 2019 Chevrolet Malibu MCE

11K views 70 replies 34 participants last post by  1958carnut 
#1 ·
2019 Chevrolet Malibu caught hiding its facelift
Autoblog

April 25, 2017

Chevrolet's midsize sedan seems to have paid a visit to the plastic (or sheetmetal) surgeon based on these spy photos. It appears only the front and back of this Malibu have gone under the knife, seeing as they're the most heavily covered. The midsection only has a camouflage vinyl wrap, and from what we can tell, appears to be the same as the current version.

Up at the front, it seems that the lower half of the Malibu's grille dips lower than the current model. In turn, it looks like the lower intake has been reduced in height. Underneath the headlights, we can see that the foglights and side vents have changed shape. They appear to be more upswept than the current versions.

The tail of the Malibu has seen more substantial changes than the nose. Compared with the current car, the trunk lid doesn't have as dramatic of an arch, and the tops of the fenders have been raised. The result is a rear deck that, while less curvaceous, looks wider and more planted like the front end.

See less See more
#26 ·
Here are 5 things they need to also do on the 2019 MCE on the Malibu-

1) More power for the base engine. It is ridiculous that the 1.5T is only tuned for 160 HP when literally every other company is getting far more power out of it. At the barest minimum this engine should be putting down 170-175 HP and 195 torque
2) Offer the 2.0T on more models like Ford does with the Fusion.
3) Put back in some of the lost storage like the overhead sunglass holders, add a pull open drawer where the useless plastic blank out is to the left of the steering wheel and find more space in the center console
4) Nix the stupid L model and give the LS at least an option package with some safety kit, a power seat etc
5) And last but not least give it a real performance model with at least a more powerful 2.0T

#30 ·
These are excellent suggestions.

I think that in terms of styling, the car needs only some tweaks to make it seem refreshed.

#28 ·
I like the Malibu as is, but I can see some tweaks to the front end that could improve it. As it is, I think it's the best-looking car in its class.

I don't like the sound of making the tail "less curvaceous, as I think the current tail is very nice and is the cars best styling feature.

Typical GMI reaction from so many posters. The most negative comments regarding the Malibu that I've heard or read anywhere are on this site. For some people here, there is absolutely nothing GM can do that they won't find fault with. Stick a bowtie on a BMW and it would suddenly be the world's worst car.

#43 ·
I hope they get rid of the "me too" look.
You could show people pictures of the rear of the Malibu, Optima, Fusion and perhaps a couple of others and convince them they are the same car, just from different years.
And the squinting head lights don't seem to be a hit with buyers. "Is that the Cruze, Malibu or Camaro?"

It's one thing to have some family resemblance in your products. It's not a good idea to make them look too much alike.

#44 ·
It needs to have the option of fog lights and that appears to be showing on it. They also need a RS Version of this. When I drove a 2.0t for a rental it was very fast and nice. the only thing I don't like is the center console and placement for the cell phone holder is not very easy to put your phone in or reach it like it is in the cruze. Also get rid of the fake wood, its looks horrible in any car. That is one of the biggest turn offs to me buying any car.

#48 ·
The Chevrolet Malibu is by far my favorite 4 door mid size sedan out there. It would be very interesting to see how GM does its MCE. Only little small thing I didnt like about the current front fascia is the bow tie placement in the middle, though they did a good job with the upcoming Equinox, maybe we might see a similar design.

For me I'd like to see more interior color choices, both cloth and leather. Get rid of the L model. Service car variants with strengthened suspension and heavy duty transmission. Different grille patterns based on trim models? RS appearance package based on recent Malibu SEMA concept cars, FE2 suspension components, freer breathing engine intake system, and RS specific interior trim.

#50 ·
This is disappointing. I think the tail is really nicely done. The tail of the car could pass for something much more expensive.

#51 ·
The front is definitely too busy, the headlights are too small and the lower air intake is too big. IMPALA has the best grill/ front end application of any Chevy sedan right now. I hope the Malibu takes some cues from that. ALSO, I find the trunk deck lid a little droopy... Inside, I wish the touchscreen felt more integrated into the dash instead of looking like a glued on ipad. I currently have 2017 Regal which I think is GM's best looking sedan. Too bad they let it wallow with no advertising and minimal updates for 6 years...

#64 · (Edited)
Malibu
Optima
Passat
Fusion
Altima
Sonata
Accord
Camry

This is (IMHO) how the midsize sedan class ranks in terms of looks. Top being the best looking bottom being least interesting. If it's not on my list it's forgettable.

With that said, Malibu was almost a perfect car in my eyes. The rear gave me a near A7 (don't put me in the category as those dumb people in these commercials lol) Vibe. I just completely hate Chevrolet's tail light graphic that they use on everything from Cruze to Camaro, Impala and even on new Equinox. It's weak and cheap. Change it to something with more detail, that looks like jewelry in appearance and give it a nice nighttime signature and it's fine. "In bumper" dual exhausts like it's bigger sibling (Impala) would be a welcome addition too. If I was to change anything on the front end, which I like as is, it would be the DRLs. Move them with the rest of the lighting up top.

#67 ·
+1
Malibu does offer automatic high beams, but only as part of an options package on LT, Hybrid, and Premier models. Unfortunately, Malibu headlamps perform poorly even with AHB according to IIHS testing.

The lack of a sporty version is odd, especially with GM having some of the most talented sports car chassis engineers in the world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.