Spark EV Delivers Exceptional Power, Fast-Charge Capability

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spark EV Delivers Exceptional Power, Fast-Charge Capability

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

GM
    November 15, 2012

The 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV will set a benchmark for urban electric vehicles when it arrives in California dealer showrooms next summer by offering industry-leading EV power, outstanding driving range, and exceptional fast-charge capability.

Spark EV’s driving force is an oil-cooled, permanent magnet motor that produces at least 100 kW (130 hp) and instantaneous torque of about 400 lb.-ft. with the coaxial drive unit, resulting in 0-60 mph acceleration in less than eight seconds.

Not only is Spark EV quick for its segment, its industry-first SAE combo charger will allow DC Fast Charging of up to 80 percent of battery capacity in approximately 20 minutes. That capability, available shortly after market launch, also will provide EV range among the best in the segment.

“When our team set out to develop the propulsion system for Spark EV, we knew we had to provide surprising fun-to-drive acceleration with maximum efficiency,” said Spark EV Chief Engineer Chuck Russell.

“What we think customers will enjoy most is how fun Spark EV is to drive; it’s seamless and power is available at every stage of the drive,” Russell said. “This will help us to provide an exciting option for those customers who are looking for an EV that’s as much fun to drive as it is environmentally responsible.”

Spark EV’s more than 20 kWh lithium-ion battery pack will carry on Chevrolet’s tradition of industry-leading warranty protection of eight years /100,000 miles, and is capable of handling multiple DC Fast Charges daily. Charging can also be completed in less than seven hours using a dedicated 240V charge. A 120V charge cord set is standard. Charging can be managed and monitored remotely using the Spark EV’s smart phone application, provided by OnStar.

“Spark EV’s battery has undergone more than 200,000 hours of testing in our global battery systems labs,” said Larry Nitz, executive director of GM’s global electrification engineering team. “This testing paved the way to allow our customers to do multiple DC Fast Charges daily to help alleviate range anxiety and improve convenience.”

The Spark EV team was able to leverage expertise gained on the groundbreaking Chevrolet Volt program and uses many of the same components and systems. More than 75 percent of the propulsion system components are from the Volt and GM’s hybrid truck programs.

Spark EV’s motor and drive unit will be manufactured beginning in early 2013 at GM’s transmission plant in White Marsh, Md., near Baltimore. It is the first time a U.S. auto manufacturer has built both a complete electric motor and drive unit for a modern electric vehicle in the United States.

“Spark EV is the latest demonstration of our growing expertise in electric motor and battery technologies – expertise we will need as we grow our portfolio of electric vehicles to address the needs of our global customers,” Nitz said.

Video available at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Spark EV Delivers Exceptional Power, Fast-Charge Capability

permanent magnet motor that produces at least 100 kW (130 hp) and instantaneous torque of about 400 lb.-ft. with the coaxial drive unit, resulting in 0-60 mph acceleration in less than eight seconds
    That's... ludicrous speed!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 ATS Premium 6MT

It sounds like a winner... now the question will be price.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

That should be a blast to drive.

My guess in terms of price is $25k ($15k - $2k (engine, exhaust, etc.) + $12k (Voltec & battery)). If they can do that they'll do a serious number on the Leaf.

The price will tell us a lot about the price of the packs and what we might be seeing in terms of Volt prices next year.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would not mind owning one of these as my daily driver. Not at all.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 balthazar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

2300 lbs (gas version) and 400 ft-lbs at idle seems pathetically slow at 7.9 sec to 60.
    Unless it's burning the tires right down to the belts vs triggering the radar gun...

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

May god have mercy on the batteries soul for the owners that fast charge the battery.....

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    That should be a blast to drive.

My guess in terms of price is $25k ($15k - $2k (engine, exhaust, etc.) + $12k (Voltec & battery)). If they can do that they'll do a serious number on the Leaf.

The price will tell us a lot about the price of the packs and what we might be seeing in terms of Volt prices next year.
    If it does end up being $25k (plus tax incentive) this thing will destroy the Leaf in sales. Even if it is much smaller.

The first affordable EV?

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

I'm betting $30K before tax credits.

Thanks

limited availability "compliance" car..."moving on..."
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt Blue Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by usa1 View Post
    I'm betting $30K before tax credits.
    I would have to agree. $27K to $30K is my guess before tax credits.

This won't be a base Spark.
    More like a 2LT Spark with number of added features (my guess):
    optional heated seats
    custom LCD displays
    different suspension setup (to handle added weight)
    push button start and keyless operation

But this car will be quick. Especially off the line. Decent at higher speeds.

I think it still could do well. Wish it had 6.6KW L2 charging (as most charging stations are 6.6KW or greater). I would strongly consider it as a second car.

I hope they sell it in Canada. At least in the markets where the Volt is doing well.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

I saw a Spark at the dealership when I had 45's first oil change. Kinda underwhelmed and blah. Micro car, whatever. Maybe new Chevette... But then I saw one drive by in Publix's parking lot, then I saw one on the road and I have to say, I actually like the little *****! As an EV, as long as it's not super expensive, Chevy might even have something here!
    Truckin!

Thanks

Sign me up! I hope it delivers like the Volt.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Malibu

Perhaps the first practical EV? Now if they'd just fix the ugly factor.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Any speculation on range?? Also, what exactly is this quick charge? Can a person do it from home with the proper hook up?
    Look at GM's most recent products..there is definitely a future there...

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information