Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

  1. #1
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    813
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thumbs up Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

    J1349 Certified Power Engine Data for GM LNF L850 2008.5 Chevrolet Cobalt
    also
    More Turbo LNF Cobalt proof -emissions info on GM.com

    I would not be surprised to hear an official announcement soon

    Jony
    cobaltss.net
    Last edited by ProjectRS; 10-24-2007 at 07:44 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 genjy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    5,866
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

    Nice.

    2008.5 is pretty good timing.

    The current Mazdaspeed3 will be gone 2009 due to the Mazda3 redesign.
    Last edited by genjy; 10-23-2007 at 07:29 PM.

  4. #3
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 unkillsam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    3,805
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    My Ride
    2012 IOM Camaro 1LT

    Re: Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

    I would not waste my money on one.

    The 2007 SUPERCHARGED Cobalt SS put's down nearly as much power to the ground as the LNF turbo does.

    Secondly, this model will only be around for 1 1/2 model years before it is replaced by Delta II.

    Better to wait till 2010.

  5. #4
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,450
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 83 Times in 40 Posts
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

    Re: Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

    Quote Originally Posted by unkillsam
    I would not waste my money on one.

    The 2007 SUPERCHARGED Cobalt SS put's down nearly as much power to the ground as the LNF turbo does.

    Secondly, this model will only be around for 1 1/2 model years before it is replaced by Delta II.

    Better to wait till 2010.
    Why so bitter? It's got over 25% more power, that's not a bad thing. Yes, the supercharged SS was a bit underrated, but the GXP/Red Line are putting about 215-240hp to the ground from what I've seen, not too shabby. It's going to be made for a year and a half, so it will be a limited-production car. Some might see that as a good thing. All I know is that I've driven a stage 2 SS/SC, and I'd love to see what GMPP can do with the turbo.

  6. #5
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 unkillsam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    3,805
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    My Ride
    2012 IOM Camaro 1LT

    Re: Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

    Quote Originally Posted by Slideways
    Why so bitter? It's got over 25% more power, that's not a bad thing. Yes, the supercharged SS was a bit underrated, but the GXP/Red Line are putting about 215-240hp to the ground from what I've seen, not too shabby. It's going to be made for a year and a half, so it will be a limited-production car. Some might see that as a good thing. All I know is that I've driven a stage 2 SS/SC, and I'd love to see what GMPP can do with the turbo.
    I'm not being bitter.

    2007 Cobalt already puts down 210-215 to the wheels.

    Limited production = no aftermarket

    2010 is expected to be leaps and bounds above the current Cobalt.

  7. #6
    Alex Villani: Staff Writer Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    14,920
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 48 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

    That GM .pdf also has some info reguarding the 5.3 in the Colorado and Canyon, as well that the Malibu WILL be getting a 3.5 V6, which is some what upsetting.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

    Have some news?
    Email Me: BigAl@GMInsidenews.com
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

  8. #7
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 unkillsam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    3,805
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    My Ride
    2012 IOM Camaro 1LT

    Re: Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28
    That GM .pdf also has some info reguarding the 5.3 in the Colorado and Canyon, as well that the Malibu WILL be getting a 3.5 V6, which is some what upsetting.
    V8 in Colorado will be late availability and 3.5 in Malibu is for fleet only sales.

    THe only way for a customer to get a 3.5 Malibu will be to get a one year old certified pre-owned one.

  9. #8
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 skylark68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pearland, TX
    Posts
    3,160
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

    Re: Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

    The turbo Cobalt will be an interesting addition to GM's small cars. That is an interesting PDF document, thanks for sharing.

    Will the Colorado/Canyon 5.3 only be available in the Crew Cab?

  10. #9
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,905
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectRS
    J1349 Certified Power Engine Data for GM LNF L850 2008.5 Chevrolet Cobalt
    also
    More Turbo LNF Cobalt proof -emissions info on GM.com

    I would not be surprised to hear an official announcement soon

    Jony
    cobaltss.net
    erg, you beat me to posting it by 5 hours... i've heard it from other sources than those too!

    October 29th!

    CobaltSScrazy
    Last edited by CobaltSScrazy; 10-24-2007 at 03:16 PM.
    2005 Cobalt SS

  11. #10
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CBECK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    837
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

    I prefer turbo over supercharged-this is a good thing. All the tuner buffs love turbos too. Good move.

  12. #11
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6 tomcat_cool17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Flint, MI
    Posts
    700
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Ion QC

    Re: Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

    Quote Originally Posted by unkillsam
    I'm not being bitter.

    2007 Cobalt already puts down 210-215 to the wheels.
    Haha, no it doesn't not without Stage upgrades. It's stock HP is 205 engine, ~170 @wheels. But according to you, GM is lying and the engine must put out 240hp engine, even though they advertise way less. Right....and a stock Cobalt w/o upgrades will be a Neon SRT4 260hp too.
    "This is supposed to be a free market. If consumers need fuel efficient cars, it's their responsibility to buy efficient cars."
    "God will either lighten your load or strengthen your back."

  13. #12
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6 tomcat_cool17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Flint, MI
    Posts
    700
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Ion QC

    Re: Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

    Quote Originally Posted by CBECK
    I prefer turbo over supercharged-this is a good thing. All the tuner buffs love turbos too. Good move.
    Not all. Some don't want to deal with the turbo lag it takes for it to spool up. Also, superchargers are easier to get more boost from, i.e. change pulley rather than mess with programming or swap turbos.
    "This is supposed to be a free market. If consumers need fuel efficient cars, it's their responsibility to buy efficient cars."
    "God will either lighten your load or strengthen your back."

  14. #13
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 61BelAir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,076
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts

    Re: Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat_cool17
    Haha, no it doesn't not without Stage upgrades. It's stock HP is 205 engine, ~170 @wheels. But according to you, GM is lying and the engine must put out 240hp engine, even though they advertise way less. Right....and a stock Cobalt w/o upgrades will be a Neon SRT4 260hp too.

    Actually I've tested a few stock Cobalt SS on a DynoJet Chassis dyno and they did about 215-220 HP at the wheels. So GM is definitely underrating the Supercharged cars. Now the DynoJet is an Inertia Dyno so the numbers are higher than would be on a Clayton, or a Superflow that is loaded.

  15. #14
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 ViperDVMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

    The turbo Cobalt should spank the 285hp Caliber SRT4, especially since it gained a substantial amount of weight over the Neon SRT4. On top of that, it'll compete nicely with the Mazdaspeed 3 and even begin approaching Lancer Evo/Impreza WRX STi territory.

    Just keep a good LSD in the drivetrain to handle that kind of power.

    As far as aftermarket goes, with the engine being an LNF, I'm sure that many of the parts that fit a Solstice GXP or Sky Redline will fit on the HHR SS and Cobalt SS pretty easily. No no worries on limited production = no aftermarket.

    I still want one.
    Y2V: Certified Car Nut

    Current ride:
    '94 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
    Past rides:
    '02 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Custom (wrecked... may it RIP)
    '91 Pontiac Grand Am LE Custom


    Lightweight, light on its toes, light on fuel... the Cadillac ATS ~ (banner made by ViperDVMan)


  16. #15
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    813
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Solid Proof of 08 LNF Turbo Cobalt

    Quote Originally Posted by CobaltSScrazy
    Thanks for the all caps post, but this was posted 5 hours earlier than your thread

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2