Secrets of the next Corvette's engine and lineup, all figured out (we think)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Secrets of the next Corvette's engine and lineup, all figured out (we think)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 813 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

How Chevy will make a DOHC engine, a ZR-1, and a mid-engine supercar.
    Autoblog
    By Mike Magrath
    May 5, 2017

The upcoming mid-engine Corvette, the DOHC Corvette and, finally, the big-wing-toting Corvette ZR-1. Our deductive sleuthing tells us that all of these things are, finally, real. The evidence has been right in front of us for months. GM's been hiding its plan in plain sight and we think we've cracked the code. Pore over our clues, follow along with our reasoning, and see if you agree with our conclusions.
    *Full Article at Link

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

thechevyisnumber1 (05-06-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 2,315 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: Secrets of the next Corvette's engine and lineup, all figured out (we think)

Not that I am an expert on such matters, but their logic sounds compelling.

News Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 696 Posts

Re: Secrets of the next Corvette's engine and lineup, all figured out (we think)

They haven't figured anything out. It's basically everything that's happened to this point compiled in one document with a narrative voice and a snarky comment here and there injected to keep readers from getting bored...
    GMI News Editor

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Accardi For This Useful Post:

Chassis Guy (05-05-2017),mbukukanyau (05-06-2017),SP1966 (05-05-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I don't think there's any question but that, for the foreseeable future, there will have to be at least two types of Corvette offerings. One, a conventional model with RWD under six figures and the other a mid engined model above six figures. The economy is such that many Corvette owners don't have the financial ability or desire to pay that much even if it's a supercar.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Not that I am an expert on such matters, but their logic sounds compelling.
    I didn't really think so. It's not just height that is a problem it's width AND weight. The Mercury SB4 is pretty cool but the dimensions they are using are not the only ones that matter. The comparison pictures are also not really apples to apples, as one engine is fully dressed out with manifolds and throttle bodies where the other isn't. The heads on the mercury are twice as thick as those on the LS7.

I'm not saying that GM isn't doing this, I'm just stating that their take on it has a lot of holes.

It's also relevant to point out that one of the big improvments from LS to LT is the difference in combustion itself. GM has stated that they expect big gains (30% or hight IIRC) there alone.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spd98 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (05-05-2017),Cphelps (05-10-2017)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I'd like to hear more about the dohc engine

Thanks
    My Ride
    04 Canyon Z71 / 08 Accord V6

This only leaves one possibility: The ZR-1 introduces the DOHC motor back into the Corvette family with 650 naturally aspirated horsepower (a nice number that is more ponies than the ACR and more horsepower/liter than the Mustang Shelby GT350), an 8,000-rpm redline and the production-car track record at Laguna Seca.
    We know the car running around the Nurburgring is supercharged, so if that is the ZR1, which it most likely is with its blue brake calipers, they're wrong on that point. Unless its DOHC and supercharged.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,725 Times in 4,737 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Accardi View Post
    They haven't figured anything out. It's basically everything that's happened to this point compiled in one document with a narrative voice and a snarky comment here and there injected to keep readers from getting bored...
    Pretty much, someone at AB has been reading GMI.

Only leap is guessing at DOHC replacing the small block. I don't think it will.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

dslay04 (05-05-2017)

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,609 Times in 2,361 Posts

I don't know how much of the above is true, but I can tell you this: DOHC heads have been under development for the Gen IV and Gen V smallblock for a while now.

The DOHCs were actually meant for truck use almost a decade ago, to replace the BB Chevy engine which was discontinued.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

sfbreh (05-05-2017)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 maxaccel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    How Chevy will make a DOHC engine, a ZR-1, and a mid-engine supercar.I]
    We think??LOL
    That tells me they know f all and only guessing..
    2008 Silverado long box,2wd ,cool white ,4.8 v8, air,locker,..120.000k

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    I don't know how much of the above is true, but I can tell you this: DOHC heads have been under development for the Gen IV and Gen V smallblock for a while now.
    The DOHCs were actually meant for truck use almost a decade ago, to replace the BB Chevy engine which was discontinued.
    What should we expect of a 6.2L DOHC motor, besides better breathing and higher redline?
    Would there be a 5.3 version as well?
    Who on GMI knows more about it/them? Thanks in advance!

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,609 Times in 2,361 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me2 View Post
    What should we expect of a 6.2L DOHC motor, besides better breathing and higher redline?
    I don't know, other than GM has been playing with DOHC versions of the GenIV/V for a long time now.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,725 Times in 4,737 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me2 View Post
    We have heard of a NA 6.2L DOHC, so I would imagine it'd just be another option like Z28 said.

Replace the 6.0 or whatever in the HDs, maybe.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

We still don't know if that sheet was a typo or not.....

That sheet said for 2018 LT5 DOHC 6.2L for the Corvette and yet (just like the LT1 OHC) we have yet to see anything else about it. That list didn't say anything about a supercharger, and its likely that the supercharged engine in the ZR1 is going to have its own designation (which wasn't on that list). My guess is LT5 = 6.2L OHV supercharged (larger super charger) V-8 engine going into the 2018 ZR1 Corvette....

Think about it though, the list has the LT1, LT4, and LT5 going into the Corvette for 2018 but no mention of the engine going into the ZR1 Corvette. Unless the big wing car is a Z06 MCE and lets say that the small wing car was a C7 ZR1 poised to get said DOHC 6.2L LT5 engine. However this is pure specualation (on a refreshed Z06).

Just some food for thought, that 2018 list didn't have a listing for a supercharged ZR1 Corvette....

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,406 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

So is there an opportunity to have a DOHC 6.2 engine across the large SUVs as well as in HP applications?
    I'm thinking that this could work much the same way as Ford applies the Coyote to F150 as well a Mustang
    and now maybe Expedition (There's word of a 5.0 V8 LEV versions later this year)

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information