Report: New Malibu Refresh Will Address Rear Seat Room - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: New Malibu Refresh Will Address Rear Seat Room

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt Blue Topaz

Re: Report: New Malibu Refresh Will Address Rear Seat Room

I wonder if they are going to apply some lessons from the Trucks. In part 3 of the pickuptrucks.com interview with Jeff Luke they talk about how the crew cab on the trucks are the same size as the old trucks but by moving the B-piller, using a better seat design and modifing the floor for better foot space the made more room in the back without affecting the space in the front.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/12...parts-3-4.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfdenny View Post
    Isn't the rear seat room problem because of the Regal bones? That's where they went wrong. Couldn't they have updated the old platform until a new one was ready? Or is that the new Impala's intended role? "Ya want something roomier? Step over here lady, and try the back seat in this Impala..."
    regal and Malibu have wheelbase that is pretty much normal for a midsize car outside of the US. By US standards 108" is short for a midsize car in 2013. 5-10 years ago this wasn't really the case. The Impala is definitely one of the reasons why Chevy felt they could keep the Malibu at this size. I think the real issue is Malibu and Cruze are too close in size and Cruze is cheaper.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_smurf2008 View Post
    This is good news. I know there will be those who pan GM for "Having to FIX the Malibu", but it's good to hear that GM now jumps into the middle of product issues. The company was never quickly flexible in the past.
    GMI has discussed these issues extensively, and what GM has decided to do is what our collective recommendations have been, perhaps not as far as some wanted, but certainly moving to correct the main deficiency of the Malibu.
    GM made a mistake in making the car smaller with a smaller rearseat room, and it FEELS SMALLER, when what they should have done is make the car smaller with the same amount of rearseat room as the previous, well-respected Malibu.
    Other changes needed (if you don't change the platform to alpha) are a somewhat nicer interior, the 1.6T in gas and diesel versions, stop/start, 8 speed auto, and a much more powerful engine if you were to pursue an SS version of the current Malibu.
    I am encouraged that GM has responded so quickly to a design/engineering mistake, so there is (much) hope for GM!

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1 View Post
    Surprisingly given its volume leader type of status, it doesn't seem like the current Malibu got GM's "A-team" to create it. Whereas I'm totally impressed with the new Impala, which I think is going to be a great success. I'm glad GM is recognizing that they f'd up, though. While they're working on the rear seats, they should give them a heat option. It's a nice differentiator in a crowded market, and it sure impresses our cold weather passengers in the XTS.

What I'm really wondering is if GM is taking the hybrid competition seriously. They need something better than eAssist if they want Malibu to be a serious contender for fuel economy. I believe starting in the next 2 or 3 years, people are going to shop a lot more on the idea of burning the least fuel possible, not just to save money but as a reaction to the increasingly obvious effects of climate change. If GM isn't anticipating this possible game changer, it could be a major mistake.
    aside from size what is so different about Impala vs Malibu? They share two powertrains and both seem to have nice interiors. I'm sure Impala will be as quiet as the Malibu and both have large trunks. I just don't get how every other vehicle GM comes out with is seen as a homerun while the Malibu is supposedly an example of incompetence.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6

Good. GM is doing exactly what it needs.

See people, I give GM credit where it deserves. I'm glad they realized they have a problem with the new Malibu and will make the necessary changes to hopefully bring sales back up to where they need to be.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    GMI has discussed these issues extensively, and what GM has decided to do is what our collective recommendations have been, perhaps not as far as some wanted, but certainly moving to correct the main deficiency of the Malibu.
    GM made a mistake in making the car smaller with a smaller rearseat room, and it FEELS SMALLER, when what they should have done is make the car smaller with the same amount of rearseat room as the previous, well-respected Malibu.
    Other changes needed (if you don't change the platform to alpha) are a somewhat nicer interior, the 1.6T in gas and diesel versions, stop/start, 8 speed auto, and a much more powerful engine if you were to pursue an SS version of the current Malibu.
    I am encouraged that GM has responded so quickly to a design/engineering mistake, so there is (much) hope for GM!
    I dont blame Malibu for not offering powertrains that GM doesn't even make yet. all of GM's FWD vehicles would benefit from a FWD 8 speed but there isn't such a thing right now. I think Malibu critiques should focus on design and execution issues. I don't see this thing getting an 8 speed anytime soon and the competition doesn't offer such a thing. Let's not forget the award winning passat is powered by an iron block 2.5L I5 with 170hp. Passat was won numerous comparos with that dated powertrain.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    Perhaps true, but GM reduced the rear-seat legroom on the new Malibu. Dumb move. Consumers noticed.
    they really didn't. Its about the same, the last car didnt have generous rear seat room for its wheelbase length. In fact, this was a criticism of the malibu and Aura.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elvisuperman View Post
    Agreed, however they are not the only ones who have done this... Honda did it with the Civic (as you know) and that is about as high of a profile mass market car as youre going to get. The public and the media seemed to have forgiven them for their mistake; hopefully Chevrolet will be awarded the same courtesy.

In addition, (to add oranges to the bushel of apples) when the Fusion came out originally (2005 - guesstimate) it wasn't a huge hit or a highly praised car, however after it recieved its MCE it quickly became a favorite among jounalists and the buying public.

I still believe GM got this backwards. The new Impala should have been released first to get the fossil known as the previous generation Impala out of dealer lots, thus avoiding this overlap. In addition, the 7th generation Malibu could have soldiered on until the end of this year... that would've provided GM a chance to scope the competitions new offerings and nail this car from the get-go.
    Impala is not global, Malibu is global. The Malibu launch was a far bigger and more important proposition because its sold in US, China and Europe. As Ive stated 50 times, in the US market the Malibu is NOT the largest Chevy sedan so those who need 38" of rear seat space can get Impala when it comes out.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
    Impala is not global, Malibu is global. The Malibu launch was a far bigger and more important proposition because its sold in US, China and Europe. As Ive stated 50 times, in the US market the Malibu is NOT the largest Chevy sedan so those who need 38" of rear seat space can get Impala when it comes out.
    The Cruze was global too... but it still took almost 3 years to get here. The Malibu for the American Market could've waited till the launch of the new Impala. The previous generation Malibu was only 5 years in, a simple MCE to hold it over for another 2 years would've been fine. Besides, they're basically re-launching the damn 8th-gen Malibu in the 3rd quarter after only 1 year on the market, so obviously the rush to market proved to be premature and pointless.
    CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
    I dont blame Malibu for not offering powertrains that GM doesn't even make yet. all of GM's FWD vehicles would benefit from a FWD 8 speed but there isn't such a thing right now. I think Malibu critiques should focus on design and execution issues. I don't see this thing getting an 8 speed anytime soon and the competition doesn't offer such a thing. Let's not forget the award winning passat is powered by an iron block 2.5L I5 with 170hp. Passat was won numerous comparos with that dated powertrain.
    I said "NEEDED." Those things are needed, and not available yet, that is why I phrased it the way I did.
    GM NEEDS a 2-prong approach of fwd for smaller vehicles, rwd for large vehicles, and a choice of either in the in-between vehicles. I personally think alpha is the right approach for Malibu, but a very good fwd platform would be okay as well for most buyers.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Which likely means a shorter, flatter cushion and less generous padding all 'round in the rear. It will help a little, I suppose, but I really think the Malibu's problems go well beyond the back seat. In my own opinion, it's an overall design issue. The low and rakish C pillar is limiting to rear seat space (ask the ATS).

I wonder if the appearance of the new Impala might help Malibu sales? Once the current Impala is gone, screaming bargain that it is, the Malibu might look better (?)
    yes, new Impala will help Malibu sales. In 2013 you should see Impala sales decrease (while transaction prices jump) and Malibu sales increase.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elvisuperman View Post
    The Cruze was global too... but it still took almost 3 years to get here. The Malibu for the American Market could've waited till the launch of the new Impala. The previous generation Malibu was only 5 years in, a simple MCE to hold it over for another 2 years would've been fine. Besides, they're basically re-launching the damn 8th-gen Malibu in the 3rd quarter after only 1 year on the market, so obviously the rush to market proved to be premature and pointless.
    to achieve economies of scale and get max value out of a car that will sold globally you want as many units sold as possible Continuing to sell the EP1 Malibu in the US only made no sense. I see many rental cars at my current location and trust me the last gen Malibu is a HUGE rental favorite. By year 5 retail interest was fading and the new Malibu is likely selling for much more money. Let's not overstate the superiority of the old car or the inferiority of the new car. I havent seen many 2013 Malibu rentals so far so it appears Chevy is doing mostly retail with the new car. Spending money on an MCE for the old car wouldn't have made much sense.

Thanks

They will say they re-did the Malibu to provide more rear space, but less than Impala. By doing that, they will make Malibu a better alternative for mid-size buyers, and not having to compete with the 2011 Malibu as a new car will help as well.
    I have sat in the rearseat of a friend's 2010 Malibu, and there is MUCH more room in the backseat for 2 adults, especially compared to the new Malibu that is wider but has far less perceived legroom than the earlier Malibu.

Thanks

I've sat back there and it is tight in knee room so I'm glad they are taking steps to fix this. The bigger issue for me, though, is the huge, ugly grille. The rest of the car is handsome but it could use a version of Chevy's new front end.
    Buy American. Buy Ford. So say we all!

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post

Agreed, rear seat room in and of itself isn't "the problem," it's one spec on the chart - it doesn't compare well in price or mileage. Sonata uses value and (love it or hate it) styling, Altima uses mileage and innovation/convenience. A huge interior for Malibu would be a way to offset those factors, but that wouldn't happen short of a redesign. It doesn't need to be class-leading in every area, but it should compare more favorably in several in order for somebody to find out its other advantages in person, like the oft-cited quietness/refinement. Mix in some more value for the money, and it will be more appealing.

Oh, quality marketing too. No holograms of people surfing superimposed on the body panels of the Malibu...

Unfortunately, the rear seat in the Malibu feels the most cramped in the mid-size class, even though the specs say there's not much difference compared to the competition. And you make a great point about the need for off-setting factors that would compensate for a small back seat. The problem is, the Malibu has little to recommend over other cars that DO have off-setting factors for their respective weaknesses. And I'm not saying the Malibu is bad at anything in particular, but rather that it's very average at everything, with the rear seat being below par.

I give GM kudos for making these changes quickly, though. Hopefully, they also add some additional sound deading to eliminate the some of the mid-to-high RPM noise the car makes. They could also make some of the interior materials look a little more premium, like the dash cap that looks cheap but is actually a soft-touch surface.

Maybe these changes will give the current car that special something that the 2008-2012 model had. That car felt special, even when just sitting in it. Aside from the exterior styling, the current car is just feels very average.
    2006 Impala SS: 245,000 miles and counting
    2002 Camaro Z28 (M6) --Click for Info; 484 RWHP/418 RWTQ. LQ4 block, LS3 heads and intake, lots of other stuff, too.
    2009 Saturn VUE XE AWD

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information