Report: New Malibu Refresh Will Address Rear Seat Room - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: New Malibu Refresh Will Address Rear Seat Room

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Report: New Malibu Refresh Will Address Rear Seat Room

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Chrysler CEO: Several Intros Pushed Back; Dart Needs Improved Engine/Trans

So in the above thread, if Marchionne did this it would be brilliant and sheer genius. But I bet in this thread it will be "Stupid Coke Can Dan, this should have been right from the start".

Good for GM for recognizing issues and doing something about it! Hopfully the changes will be substantive enough for the press to take notice and get positive coverage.
    It is correct, this car should have been right from the start, however, they goofed. The important thing is not waiting 7 years to fix it as they would have in the past.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC the_smurf2008's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Which likely means a shorter, flatter cushion and less generouse padding all 'round in the rear. It will help a little, I suppose, but I really think the Malibu's problems go well beyond the back seat. In my own opinion, it's an overall design issue. The low and rakish C pillar is limiting to rear seat space (ask the ATS).

I wonder if the appearance of the new Impala might help Malibu sales? Once the current Impala is gone, screaming bargain that it is, the Malibu might look better (?)
    It only takes a bit here or there to get the results needed. The overall design is fairly sound. It simply went a bit overboard deferring to new Impala.

I agree though that once the Impala has moved further into entry level Lux, and the Current model Impala is gone. the Malibu will do well. It's just going to take a bit to get over this stumble.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC the_smurf2008's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by jgisonfire View Post
    It is correct, this car should have been right from the start, however, they goofed. The important thing is not waiting 7 years to fix it as they would have in the past.

Exactly! GM cant afford "Wealmosthavethiscarrightgiveusasecond" product introductions. The response is timely,and thats encouraging for the future.
    LOL
    I wonder if Consumer reports will take credit for this too and praise GM for listening to them ? (ALA Civic)

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

They should have just gone LWB

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Alex and I talked with Mark Reuss about this. They are going to go to new slim seats in the front and repackage the rear seats to increase space.
    I just hope they don't compromise comfort while doing it.

Regarding the design, I actually like the Bu, but I'd like to see a change in the tail lights - I'd like to see them more similar to the Impala. I think the four separate Camaro lights should be reserved for Chevy's performance vehicles. I also think the rear fascia needs a redo. I hate seeing the exhaust cans under the car; it just looks unfinished and cheapens the look. I'm not sure why GM has such a problem with this.

Oh, and new wheels! Some kind of optional 19 inch split spooks would be nice. The optional 19s now are ok, but pretty plain.

Thanks

Surprisingly given its volume leader type of status, it doesn't seem like the current Malibu got GM's "A-team" to create it. Whereas I'm totally impressed with the new Impala, which I think is going to be a great success. I'm glad GM is recognizing that they f'd up, though. While they're working on the rear seats, they should give them a heat option. It's a nice differentiator in a crowded market, and it sure impresses our cold weather passengers in the XTS.

What I'm really wondering is if GM is taking the hybrid competition seriously. They need something better than eAssist if they want Malibu to be a serious contender for fuel economy. I believe starting in the next 2 or 3 years, people are going to shop a lot more on the idea of burning the least fuel possible, not just to save money but as a reaction to the increasingly obvious effects of climate change. If GM isn't anticipating this possible game changer, it could be a major mistake.

Thanks

Gotta like the new dynamic at GM. I was impressed with how quickly Honda made changes to the Civic, how Chrysler is going to modify the Dart and now the news that GM is hoping to fix the ills of the Malibu. The right move at the right time.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Evo69 View Post
    Its pretty sad that GM has to do these kind of remedial actions for a high profile mass market mid size sedan that needs to bring in money and market share for GM.
    Agreed, however they are not the only ones who have done this... Honda did it with the Civic (as you know) and that is about as high of a profile mass market car as youre going to get. The public and the media seemed to have forgiven them for their mistake; hopefully Chevrolet will be awarded the same courtesy.

In addition, (to add oranges to the bushel of apples) when the Fusion came out originally (2005 - guesstimate) it wasn't a huge hit or a highly praised car, however after it recieved its MCE it quickly became a favorite among jounalists and the buying public.

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    I wonder if the appearance of the new Impala might help Malibu sales? Once the current Impala is gone, screaming bargain that it is, the Malibu might look better (?)
    I still believe GM got this backwards. The new Impala should have been released first to get the fossil known as the previous generation Impala out of dealer lots, thus avoiding this overlap. In addition, the 7th generation Malibu could have soldiered on until the end of this year... that would've provided GM a chance to scope the competitions new offerings and nail this car from the get-go.
    Last edited by Elvisuperman; 01-17-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    CHEVROLET SILVERADO

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo White

Steering and suspension also took some knocks from early reviewers of the eco. Hope those things are being addressed as well.

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
    I'm all for this, and think GM is very smart for doing it so quickly. I just wonder why the designers thought it was ok in the first place to make it so tight back there?
    A lot of this is also the tail wagging the dog.

If you compare the rear seat metrics for vehicles in this segment, the Malibu is average. Sales volumes for other leading offerings with less rear seat space have not been affected.

However, the designers and engineers clearly knew the benchmarks that have been long established by the Accord and Camry. Even nominal differences are used to marginalize cars in this class.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    A lot of this is also the tail wagging the dog.

If you compare the rear seat metrics for vehicles in this segment, the Malibu is average. Sales volumes for other leading offerings with less rear seat space have not been affected.

However, the designers and engineers clearly knew the benchmarks that have been long established by the Accord and Camry. Even nominal differences are used to marginalize cars in this class.

Perhaps true, but GM reduced the rear-seat legroom on the new Malibu. Dumb move. Consumers noticed.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Chevrolet Impala LT
    Well at least they're addressing the problems and fixing it. I'm proud of GM. The new front end should do wonders for the Malibus overall appearance. Hopefully we'll see an exhaust that are molded into the rear bumper.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Banned
    Thanks

Some Impala cues front and rear would really help this car. The upcoming Impala that is. That car is just beautiful all around. I think most people would overlook an inch of rear leg room had the new Malibu been a looker. It just isn't. The front looks outdated and the back end just doesn't work well at all.

Surprisingly given its volume leader type of status, it doesn't seem like the current Malibu got GM's "A-team" to create it. Whereas I'm totally impressed with the new Impala, which I think is going to be a great success.
    Completely agree.
    Last edited by 454SSChevy; 01-17-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_smurf2008 View Post
    This is good news. I know there will be those who pan GM for "Having to FIX the Malibu", but it's good to hear that GM now jumps into the middle of product issues. The company was never quickly flexible in the past.
    I agree on the whole. Perhaps the trouble with the Malibu seems so wrenching because such situations have become far more rare with GM as in the past? I do applaud them for the Mea-Culpa and the swift effort to address the issue.

On the other hand, I am surprised and disappointed that it happened at all, given the new momentum of the company, it's lighter-meaner stance, and the incredible talent that work there.

As I've written, I feel the Malibu suffers from overall design issues, but that's a subjective matter. Others think it's beautiful.

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    Perhaps true, but GM reduced the rear-seat legroom on the new Malibu. Dumb move. Consumers noticed.
    I'm not convinced that consumers do notice these things - that's the whole point. If rear seat leg room were a barrier to a purchase you wouldn't opt for something even more restrictive unless there were other issues.

Either way, this area is problematic and can be fairly easily addressed. While they're working on the seats they should also replace the premium cloth texture, which is literally a PITA.
    Last edited by ne_one; 01-17-2013 at 11:33 AM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information