Report: New Malibu Refresh Will Address Rear Seat Room

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: New Malibu Refresh Will Address Rear Seat Room

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Report: New Malibu Refresh Will Address Rear Seat Room

Automotive News

January 17, 2013

Article Quotes

DETROIT (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Co., seeking to revive sales of its new Chevrolet Malibu, is working on speedy design changes to the sedan -- including the rear seating -- to make it more competitive with other midsize models, two people familiar with the effort said.

Updates will make the back seat feel roomier and the front end will gain some styling cues from the new Chevrolet Impala, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans are private. The revamped version would reach showrooms in the third quarter, the people said. Swift improvements are needed to compete in the segment that includes five of the 20 most popular vehicles in the U.S.

While Mary Barra, GM senior vice president of global product development, said that some consumers were complaining about the back seats, she declined to comment on what’s being changed with the Malibu. CEO Dan Akerson told Automotive News in an interview late last year that changes were being made without elaborating.

“We’ve got some tweaks that we’ve made, that we already had planned, that will be coming out in the not-too-distant future that I think will assist,” Barra said this week in an interview at the Detroit auto show.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Re: Report: New Malibu Refresh Will Address Rear Seat Room

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    Updates will make the back seat feel roomier...
    "Feel roomier". Interesting choice of words.

Let's hope they do whatever they can. Chevy will probably make the front and rear seats thinner, and the bottom cushion will most likely be on more of an angle.

At least they are reacting. They are doing the right thing.

This whole situation is a repeat of the Chevy Venture mini-van, which was designed to be narrow so its Opel Sintra counterpart could be exported to overseas markets. We all know how that went, but then GM was stuck with the Venture vehicle width here in North America for years.

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 361 Posts
    Blog Entries

Alex and I talked with Mark Reuss about this. They are going to go to new slim seats in the front and repackage the rear seats to increase space.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

This makes sense, because the other way, to actually lengthen the wheelbase, would be a long expensive change, while thinner front seatbacks andmoving the rear seat backs and other tweaks could help quickly. GM screwed up on this and is reacting quickly to change perceptions.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Chrysler CEO: Several Intros Pushed Back; Dart Needs Improved Engine/Trans

So in the above thread, if Marchionne did this it would be brilliant and sheer genius. But I bet in this thread it will be "Stupid Coke Can Dan, this should have been right from the start".

Good for GM for recognizing issues and doing something about it! Hopfully the changes will be substantive enough for the press to take notice and get positive coverage.

Thanks

Alex and I talked with Mark Reuss about this. They are going to go to new slim seats in the front and repackage the rear seats to increase space.
    Good, now everyone here can know what to complain about next, the thin front seats of course!! Also, of course the re-design will add too much legroom in the rear, so people here will also be able to complain about how GM is out of touch making land yachts with huge back seats like if was the 70's or something....

If you get a chance to talk to Reuss again, tell him to slap some rear a/c vents back there too.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

I'm all for this, and think GM is very smart for doing it so quickly. I just wonder why the designers thought it was ok in the first place to make it so tight back there? It'll be interesting to see how the sales numbers fall after the Cruze, Malibu, Impala, and SS are all on the lots and customers can shop them side-by-side.
    Get used to more.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Much needed improvements. I'm surprised that GM makes many of there car seats so thick. Take a look at the 00-05 Impala compared to the 06-13. The 00-05 had more rear seat room for both knees and toes under the seat. The 06-13 has the seat sitting closer to the floor and worse an apron covering up what little space is left. Also the front seats themselves are thicker which steals a precious inch of space. History seems to have repeated it'self with the 2013 Malibu so the slimmer front seats and re-arranged back seat will surely help.

Also after having spent a week in a rental and several test drives of LT and Eco models, I would like to see the front console cup holders changed from the current front to back to side to side so that the sliding armrest lid doesn't block the rear most holder. Also the steering wheel should probably lose the wood trim on all but the most expensive model (let the griping about the fake wood begin) and a Malibu Sport should be introduced with monotone interior trim, sport suspension, 19" wheels and the turbo engine. The Eco sounds like it will be replaced by the 1.6T with not only lighter weight but more power and competitive mileage and a normal trunk!
    Last edited by ponchoman49; 01-17-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

This is great news, I'm happy to hear that the General is responding to the feedback and correcting it promptly... I really cant believe that they're are going to have this ready for the 3rd quarter, thats quite impressive.
    CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Thanks

I figured they could "steal" some inches for the rear legroom by making thinner seats. At least they are responsive and are doing something about the issues of the Malibu. Its pretty sad that GM has to do these kind of remedial actions for a high profile mass market mid size sedan that needs to bring in money and market share for GM.
    http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    That's pretty much what most figured they'd do if they changed the rear seat. Good on them. The shape of the front seats with a distinct cutout in the seatback in the Ep1 G6/Aura/Malibu made a big difference in the sense of space, particularly around kneeroom.

So were rear seat changes part of what was already going to be the MCE (just not next year but later)?
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

A couple of things: seating technology is getting better. Suppliers are providing more options for thinner seats that are still comfortable, cheaper seats and seats with materials that are easier to keep clear, etc. So, why weren't they included in the original Malibu? Perhaps the 'better' choice couldn't be confirmed from suppliers when the Malibu was being developed. Or, perhaps thinner seats are a bit more expensive and GM's research showed that people didn't care enough to shoulder the additional expense. Of course, competition can quickly change the buying public's mind!

What's cool about this is that old GM would have simply kept selling the same car for the next 5 years or so and dealt with the competitive pressure through pricing and incentives. New GM is instead actually addressing the issue and doing it relatively quickly. While it seems trivial to switch out one seat for another, I'd hazard a guess that changing the seat might be a bit more complex -- perhaps requiring a new round of crash tests, for example, to demonstrate the new seat doesn't impact crash performance (no pun intended!). If so, doubly impressive that GM is doing what it needs to keep Malibu competitive.

Read the reviews -- the basic bones of the Malibu actually are potentially competitive. The product just seems to need a bit more polishing to push it towards the front of the competitive set.
    Last edited by Tone; 01-17-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Which likely means a shorter, flatter cushion and less generous padding all 'round in the rear. It will help a little, I suppose, but I really think the Malibu's problems go well beyond the back seat. In my own opinion, it's an overall design issue. The low and rakish C pillar is limiting to rear seat space (ask the ATS).

I wonder if the appearance of the new Impala might help Malibu sales? Once the current Impala is gone, screaming bargain that it is, the Malibu might look better (?)
    Last edited by megeebee; 01-17-2013 at 10:46 AM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Barry Badrinath's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 300C AWD

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    Good, now everyone here can know what to complain about next, the thin front seats of course!!
    Just waiting for it.
    It took 30 years to realize I DO like Corinthian leather...

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    This makes sense, because the other way, to actually lengthen the wheelbase, would be a long expensive change, while thinner front seatbacks andmoving the rear seat backs and other tweaks could help quickly. GM screwed up on this and is reacting quickly to change perceptions.
    This is good news. I know there will be those who pan GM for "Having to FIX the Malibu", but it's good to hear that GM now jumps into the middle of product issues. The company was never quickly flexible in the past.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information