GM Inside News Forum banner

Photo Of The Day: 2015 Chevy SS w/Manual Transmission

23K views 152 replies 73 participants last post by  Z28toG8 
#1 ·
Source: Chevy.com

Note also the 10 colors available. Who could possibly refuse "Regal Pea**** Green" or "Some Like It Hot Red"?

Build your own 2015 Chevy SS here.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations to Chevy for investing in the current SS.

Just offering this (no charge - no credit) option over the standard automatic transmission probably cost a few million dollars in engineering, documentation and EPA approvals. From a marketing standpoint however, it may be well worth it.

The improvement may also possibly indicate that GM believes the Chevy SS has a future here in North American, although in what form remains to be seen.

Yet, we can be 'thankful' for this small gesture.

#22 ·
Really? I paid $39k out the door for my GXP and I thought it was a little steep, so no the G8 didn't get it right because people complained back then about the price. I didn't care because I liked the car and I had a trade in to take some of the sting off the amount of money I financed.

The G8 GT became right for a lot of people when they started giving them away when Pontiac died in mid 2009. They never lowered the price on the G8 GXP though and they sold everyone they had. Besides with the GT the horsepower was only 355 or so vs the GXP w/ 415. Speed costs money.

#13 ·
Glad to see it, if it were out a year earlier I would've considered it for replacement for my 9-3. Just took delivery of a '15 228i last week.

#17 ·
Surprise move from GM considering it won't be around in 3 years. I wonder what the take rate will be. Anything above 25% must be considered as a success. BTW, the SS gets plenty of marketing every Sunday afternoon from Feb. To Nov. as the winningest nameplate in NASCAR Sprint Cup racing. GM spends a fortune on engineering and research in all forms of racing with the highest budget given to the SS program. I know there is very little "trickle down" to the showroom effect here but it is always great to see the Bow Tie vehicles win.

#21 ·
I'd love to own this car, too bad I don't have the money. It's good to see it offered in a manual though.

#85 ·
There must have been a lot of red-faced PR folks a few years ago after we were told they were debuting a "4 door Corvette" and it didn't have a manual option. The complaints online echoed for weeks.

This does give us hope, that some of the things people keep asking about, can happen. It's one of the reasons I expect the 4.3L to show up in the Colorado/Canyon someday. The requests just aren't going away.

#28 ·
Getting the manual tranny may be a "no cost" option, but it actually works out to be a $1300 discount, because you don't pay the Gas Guzzler tax on the manual.

Reactions: Blu Angel
#31 ·
This is the only GM production car with a 5 star rating from just about every car testing agency or magazine out there . Go to the Chevy SS forums on the internet and read from so many happy owners , who think its the best car they ever owned . It is that good , the problem about the negative comments is probably centered on the understated looks and that it is a 4 door sedan . If its not your bag , buy something else , but I and the many forum readers and buyers think its the best GM(Holden) car ever produced !!

#36 ·
I need to go look at one of these and drive it. I like the idea of the additional safety features (Rear Camera, Rear Cross Traffic, and HUD), and the MRC shocks. I understand its very very close to my car, but with updates and additions (a friend likened it to comparing a 2013 Silverado to a 2014 Silverado). An evolution, not revolution. I like some of the new color options (finally), but would love to see a good orange.

#43 · (Edited)

Wait until you sit in one. I've driven VE SS, SS-V and Redlines plus all trims of the VF SS Commodore. The base VF SS with cloth seats is a better car than the VE Series II (G8) SS-V Redline. The only things it lacks compared to are knicknacks. But it goes, stops, sticks and drives better. The SS-V Redline is a whole 'nother thing. I drove people with Mercs and BMWs in it. They started to think they'd spent too much money for a four-cylinder car, when it had the ride and performance it did for 20% lower price. The HUD is simply brilliant - it integrates with nav with distance to turn progress bars and speed warnings and things like speed and redlight camera alerts. Holden's version of Mylink is better than Chevs - hands down than the Malibu, Sonic/Barina/Colorado version. The autopark is brilliant, if slowish.

On the surface, it looks similar to a G8. But so much has changed underneath it's virtually a different car to drive. The good things like the passenger cell with wide-opening doors, great legroom, good width and lots of trunkroom and large fuel capacity are still there. The A-pillars are slimmer, the car is quieter due to better deadening and the structure is less-resonant. The quiet ambience lets you hear the motor when you get on it but cruising is near silent.

It rides better due to lower unsprung weight of the new alloy suspension members, but rolls less and has far better suspension control than VE. It steers better, but way lighter and the Competition mode including launch control is bloody fantastic. You can put ESC into Comp mode on an icy road and just pretend you're Clarkson or the Stig. It's still there to catch the car, but it lets you get way, way out of line sideways. Even more, it feels like a 3-series to drive and shrinks around you. You can miss every catseye on the freeway because after a few miles you 'know' where the four wheels are. The only people who complain about steering feel are cork-sniffers who compare it to cars like Lotus, Porsche etc. The fat, flat-bottom wheel feels great unless you have tiny hands. As far as corner speeds go, in the VF it feels slower but it's much faster with better turn-in, it's way easier to place the car in the apex and you can get on it sooner coming out. It's much easier to balance drive and spin especially in tight corners. A lot of mass has come off the extremities - the new hood and trunklid are noticable in the turning effect for what isn't there.

I can see why GM didn't want to sell the SV6 or SS cloth seat versions. People would seriously question spending the extra dosh on a ATS or CTS when this car is so big and basically does the same thing at a much lower price (and makes the Impala look like a boat at about 400lb less for a V6) - plus you can get an eight in it. It's a great pity you don't get the SV6 - it's nearly 200lbs lighter than the old car - back to 3500lb range or 400-500lb lighter than the Fiatsler V6 twins; with the LFX it's a fantastic car that handles even better than the SS due to the lighter weight in the nose. It's seriously chuckable.

And let me tell you, Perfect Blue is this light irridescent colour with subtle pearl, Regal Pea**** is stunning - the blackest metallic liquorice you've ever seen and the new red is a bloody mary massacre. One thing Holden has always done very, very well is pick good colours. It was a shame you got such limited colours on the '14s.

#38 ·
Awesome! For a car that had to be ordered I was surprised that it did not come with a manual as it's twin brother from down under had it. It was engineered to have it from the get go.

I also love the look, very sporty and understated. It might take a car aficionado to tell it apart from some other GM sedan from far away, but that is what also makes it special in my book. I'm seriously thinking about picking one up before the run is over.

Main thing that this car suffers from is GM's weird lukewarm backing of their own car.

#49 ·
Now we're talking! Sadly, I won't be in the market as I can't afford a $400 car let alone one that costs $44,000.

Maybe in ten years I'll pick one up on the cheap!

#62 ·
I have a lot of issues with the SS and most folks have touched on them. But that said the SS is absolutely the type of vehicle that should be offered with a manual shift and GM has done the right thing here. I can't say if it'll be worthwhile but it's commendable. Conversely, I think manuals are generally not worth offering on Luxury brands. Automatics were conceived as a luxury feature and now there is almost zero performance difference between them and manuals. So I say keep sticks on the throwback muscle cars and ditch them on the high end stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.