GM Inside News Forum banner

New Photos : Chevy trax

10K views 65 replies 55 participants last post by  fakeout 
#1 ·
After giving us a sneak peak of its new (well, not so new if you've already seen the North American 2013 Buick Encore and the European Opel Mokka) 2013 Chevrolet Trax back in May, General Motors has now dropped a fresh set of photos and released detailed information on the small crossover.

Designed to compete with the likes of the Nissan Juke, the Trax will go on sale in more than 140 countries worldwide but not in the U.S. as Chevy feels that it is covered with the larger Equinox (and GM with the Encore…).

The Chevrolet model measures 4,248 mm (167.2 in.) in length, and features a width of 1,776 mm (69.9 in.) and a wheelbase of 2,555 mm (100.6 in.).

According to the Detroit carmaker, the Trax will boast plenty of storage places inside including various bins above and on both sides of the center stack, as well as an available under pass seat tray. In addition, the Trax will feature a secondary stowage are under the cargo area, which has a total capacity of 358 liters.

The small crossover will be equipped with a 60/40 split rear bench and a front passenger seat, which can be folded flat, for a total of eight seating combinations.

Chevrolet said that the higher end trim models will be equipped with the firm's MyLink infotainment system with a navigation app that can be downloaded onto compatible smartphones as standard.

The European market model will be offered with a choice of three engines including an unspecified 1.6-liter naturally aspirated petrol, a 138hp (140PS) 1.4-liter turbocharged gasoline unit linked to a 6-speed manual, and a 1.7-liter turbocharged diesel delivering 129hp (130PS) and 300Nm (221 lb-ft).

Both the 1.7-liter diesel and the 1.4-liter turbo gasoline engine will also be offered with a six-speed automatic transmission and the option of all-wheel drive.

From : http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/08/new-chevrolet-trax-small-suv-pictured.html

See less See more
#16 ·
I agree. I've seen video of the Encore and I don't think it's going to be very successful.

#3 ·
It looks SO MUCH better than the Buick. The little Buick looks like a potato on wheels. This actually manages a touch of SUV butch. And I actually like it.

And why, pray tell, do they think pricey Buick will be better able to sell tiny crossovers than economical Chevrolet? Economical Chevrolet that has other small offerings that might be cross-shopped against this?

#15 ·
It looks SO MUCH better than the Buick. The little Buick looks like a potato on wheels. This actually manages a touch of SUV butch. And I actually like it.

And why, pray tell, do they think pricey Buick will be better able to sell tiny crossovers than economical Chevrolet? Economical Chevrolet that has other small offerings that might be cross-shopped against this?
I actually LOL'd at this ......

#30 · (Edited)
I think this was the perfect opportunity to give GMC some product in North America. Oh well.
Oh, you mean something like the Granite which was unceremoniously scrapped?

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, when the first sketch or photo was shown here, there were some strong opinions against the Trax. Funny how some things change, yet others don't.

#7 ·
Definitely much better looking than the Buick.

This reminds me SO much of the first gen. Acadia. Specifically those fender bulges/arches. Makes me wonder if, when this was first designed, it was planned for Pontiac as the Acadia was. Either way, I like this a lot and think it's a shame we won't be getting it here.

#47 ·
EXACTLY. Nissan recognizes the two different segments, and has two different vehicles for each of them - Juke and Rogue.

As do other automakers.

This 'Equinox fills that market' is just another line of spin.

There IS a market for mainstream mini crossovers. As ugly as the Juke is, it is selling like hotcakes.

The Equinox is a larger, family-oriented crossover.

The Trax is a boldly-styled, youthful mini-ute.

Does GM REALLY think we are dumb enough to believe these vehicles would actually COMPETE with each other?

With CAFE regulations on the horizon, why is GM forcing buyers into larger vehicles?

And GM wonders why they have trouble attracting young customers.

Boneheaded decisions like THIS are the reason, along with looking to Moron TeleVision for future employees.

Just be honest: GM just wants to market this little ute through Buick to justify asking a higher price for it.

Which leads me to wonder if some buyers might cross-shop the Buick Encore with the Chevy Equinox. If they cost the same, but one offers more room and power...

Another vehicle that might be more appealing to younger buyers if marketed through Chevrolet.

Chevrolet should, among other things, be a purveyor of funky little vehicles like the Trax, not just large family-oriented crossovers like the Equinox.

#18 ·
If this was in the United States, I think this would be the vehicle at the TOP of our list and we probalby would buy one.

We like the Sonic for our next second car, but would like something a bit "higher/more crossover like"...which leads us to the Encore, but we like a more basic interior..and seriosly the slits under the headlights of the encore are a total turn-off.

#20 ·
This is a great looking vehicle. I do not understand the logic of not selling the Trax in the U.S. no matter what is said. Will Korea be making the Trax? I don't feel like reading trolls post on how Korean it looks. Right now Korean is selling in good numbers.

#23 ·
Hmmm...kinda dopey to say the 'nox covers this segment, since it is a whopping 20" bigger than this thing.

Looks better than the Buick. i suspect what's happening here is GM is going after the higher profit margins that the Buick would brig. Again, dopey move because no one is cross shopping a 20K juke vs a 30K Buick.

#24 ·
When they first showed the Trax I thought it fit better with Chevrolet than the Encore does with Buick. The Trax styling works and I like the resemblance to the Sonic while still being a different vehicle. I guess we get the Encore because it offers Buick-levels of equipment - dual-zone A/C (Equinox doesn't even have that), heated steering wheel - and they're planning to sell it in China. It'll probably be a nice vehicle but as a Buick? I just don't look at it and think "upscale." They still could use something smaller than the Enclave yet bigger than Encore - you know, where the volume of crossover sales are, though they'll probably say the Equinox/Terrain have it covered.

#46 · (Edited)
Word Is Chevy is shrinking the next Equinox and Terrain to Ford Escape size so more apt to be some sales canibalazation from the Trax if brought here.

That said, if Trax is such a threat to Equinox, why will it be sold in Canada along with the Orlando and in every other nation where GM competes. The Trax is the perfect replacement for HHR and Tracker buyers. .

The Encore will sell for close to $30,000, about $5000 more than HHR and Tracker buyers will be willing to pay. Looks like GM is going for bigger profits by forcing us to buy Equinox , Terrain or Encore, but I think they are making a big mistake.

My prediction: We will get the Trax here in two years.

#26 ·
The Juke is <$20k. The Trax would need to be <$20k. GM has shown no desire to sell a smaller vehicle with some cargo space (like the past offerings of the Vibe and HHR, or possible offerings of a Cruze hatch or wagon) for <$20K. GM will try to milk the popular $23K+ Nox as long as they can. It remains to be seen how much market share they will or will not lose with that strategy.

#27 ·
I would like an SUV, but don't want the added space and largeness of the Equinox, and I don't want to pay the premium price for luxury in the Encore. For someone who would like to have AWD to help me in the snow, something that has a little bit of cargo space, the Trax is ideal for me. But out won't be available here...ugh!

#29 ·
I like it.

I think it looks a little better than the Encore, but I like the look of the Encore as well.

This is a neet car, but if I was in the market for a small SUV (which I might be) I would not want one this small, but Would bump up to the Equinox especially now that you can get it with the 3.6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.