GM Inside News Forum banner

New Camaro Convertible Pics

19K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  Uzzy 
#1 ·

Caught topless! New Camaro Convertible spied
MATT CAMPBELL
The Age December 3, 2009 - 9:54AM

With a hint of Monaro, the Australian-designed Chevrolet Camaro soft-top is set to storm America.

General Motors has confirmed that the Holden-designed Camaro coupe that’s setting sales records in America is set to be joined by a topless sibling, the Camaro Convertible.

Due on sale in the US by February 2011 – almost 12 months later than originally predicted – the Chevrolet Camaro Convertible will follow on from its hard-top coupe counterpart by offering muscle-car mentality with Aussie smarts under the skin.

In some ways the Camaro convertible is the soft-top Holden would have loved with the Monaro. Holden even built the one-off Marilyn Monaro concept to show what was possible with the sleek Monaro shape.

Melbourne based GM Holden designers and engineers led the development of the Camaro, which is built on the same rear-wheel-drive platform used by the Holden Commodore.

In a world where hybrids and hydrogen are looking likely to fuel the future, the US market is experiencing a red-hot revival of muscle-cars, with a number of new-generation retro cruisers on the market.

Short of moving to the US, though, Australians are likely to miss out on the chance to own a new Camaro, with GM focussing on its rebound from the financial crisis rather than exporting right-hand drive models.

The look of the car may be slightly different when it comes to production, but the cues from the classic Camaros of the 1960s still dominate.

Engine choices look likely to remain the same as the Camaro Coupe, with the choice of a 3.6-litre V6 in the base models, and a potent 6.2-litre V8 with cylinder deactivation.

There is also a choice of gearboxes, with a six-speed manual and six-speed automatic with steering-wheel mounted paddle shifters.

The much anticipated, higher performance Z28 model Camaro has reportedly been scrapped, with the low-volume sales and a reported $50 million production tag sealing its fate.

The Camaro Convertible is likely to fight it out with the modern-day manifestations of the Ford Mustang and the Dodge Challenger.

Topless Camaro Pics

See less See more
#2 ·
Gorgeous, i want one soooo bad. I can't believe that it will be another year until they get here. If they bring them sooner, Chevy might finally surpass Ford in pony car sales.

#19 ·
You're kidding right? Even without the convertible now, the Camaro has outsold the Mustang (and the Challenger) every single month since it's release, most months outselling both combined.

Although, I do agree with your sentiment on seeing the convertible sooner. That's a camaro I might actually buy.

#3 ·
:repost: Of the pics at least.

What hints of Monaro are there? I know they share a version of the Zeta platform, but what can you see that hints at the Monaro? :think:

#4 ·
I think that was journalistic licence. The roofline does look similar to Marilyn, but so do most cloth-tops. Marilyn got hers from the company that do Saab's.

Zeta isn't under Monaro, Monaros are on the older V-car semi-trailing arm rear /McPherson front chassis. Camaro is multilink front/rear. There's almost no parts in common - even the wheelstuds are bigger.

#8 ·
Any of you catch the line about the Z28 being dead again?

That sucks if it's true. No "ultimate" Camaro chase overhyped Mustangs.

#13 ·
I think she looks good, although I still think the CHMSL looks cheap. I wanna know what the interior of the production model is going to look like. Specifically, how they treat the rear seatback.

#17 ·
Are those new wheels? They look different somehow.

#20 ·
Looks wonderful. Too bad I won't be able to own one. Stupid stupid stupid...why did I promise the wife no coupe or convertible if she got pregnant.

:doh::mad::brick

#22 ·
Bah. Promises are made to be broken. Just ask Mr. Woods.

#23 ·
February 2011? That's ridiculous. Why would it take so long, when we've seen shots of the convertible concept for years?

#26 ·
Will the Camaro still be produced in Feb. 2011? I sure hope it is but I'm thinking GM might pull the plug on the car like they did the SKY and Solstice. I see sales dropping next year and the year after unless there is something done about its weight and interior. The 2011 Mustang should easily regain the sales lead over the 2011 Camaro.

#28 ·
The 2011 Mustang should easily regain the sales lead over the 2011 Camaro.
Heard that same thing here with the 2010 Mustang from some right here on the board. At least the 2011 Mustang will actually compete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.