Maximum Bob on the Maximum Vette: Bob Lutz on the 2014 Corvette C7 Stingray

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximum Bob on the Maximum Vette: Bob Lutz on the 2014 Corvette C7 Stingray

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

MotorTrend
    January 14, 2013
    by Edward Loh

I ran into Bob Lutz at the unveiling of the all-new 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray on Sunday night and asked the highly quotable, legendary auto exec and ex-Marine jet pilot for his thoughts on the all-new, C7 Corvette. To the surprise of no one, the former GM vice chairman had plenty to say about the new C7 and its Viper rival. He even called us out for how we do our business.

MT: So you’ve obviously seen the car, but did you have anything to do with its development?

BL: It was in the early stages, and it was a program that got deferred a little bit due to the bankruptcy — we would have liked to have had it earlier. And actually, this is the first new GM car where the design and engineering occurred largely after I left. Which makes me feel very good because it demonstrates to me that the quest for excellence in design and engineering — the emphasis on the customer and on the excellence of the product — has outlived my tenure at General Motors.

See up to now I wasn’t sure, because everything that has come out has been basically stuff that was well under way — including the new Impala when it comes (which is another car that will be excellent) — but that I had a lot to do with. This Corvette I would say I was in at the very beginning, very early design workouts, but other than that, this is purely the new team.

MT: Who would you say then the mantle has been passed to then…who is most responsible for this vehicle?

BL: Well I think Mark Reuss (current president of GM North America) is a strong proponent of product excellence in the corporation. And you know the Corvette guys have always been a special group. They have always been self-motivated, they have always — always — resisted unwise cost constraints. They have always said, “Let us make it good. If it costs a few thousand more, so what? We’re gonna make it excellent.” That has always been the philosophy of the Corvette people.

My point is, it should not be a couple of thousand more — in the case of the normal cars — let it cost a couple of hundred more. But it is better to have a car that exceeds its cost objective a little bit and is truly excellent, than one that meets its cost objective and nobody likes it.

Full article at link.
    Last edited by ne_one; 01-17-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Formatting: please refer to the guide at the top of the Submit a News Article forum.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Chevrolet Impala LT

Re: Maximum Bob on the Maximum Vette: Bob Lutz on the 2014 Corvette C7 Stingray

Nice Find! So Lutz was apart of the Malibu development too I'm guessing? Interesting because I thought this project was in it's early stages after he left.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Live001 View Post
    Nice Find! So Lutz was apart of the Malibu development too I'm guessing? Interesting because I thought this project was in it's early stages after he left.
    Even Hank Aaron couldn't hit a home run every time he stepped up to the plate.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

I don't care what anyone says Bob Lutz is the man. As far as the Malibu go's I still think it's a damned nice car, it's just on the wrong chassis for people with baby seats I guess? Or people that drive the NBA players around on the regular.

I remember a long time ago having a baby seat in the back of my 88 IROC, I managed just fine. One 5 minute drive with the soft rumble of the Flowmaster exhaust and he was out like a light, lol. Those were the days, anyway back to the point at hand.

The chassis was picked for global reasons and most likely out of his hands for the Malibu. After bankruptcy Bob was out the door and just consulted at that point.

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

It was in the early stages, and it was a program that got deferred a little bit due to the bankruptcy — we would have liked to have had it earlier. And actually, this is the first new GM car where the design and engineering occurred largely after I left. Which makes me feel very good because it demonstrates to me that the quest for excellence in design and engineering — the emphasis on the customer and on the excellence of the product — has outlived my tenure at General Motors.
    I disagree. It hasn't shown anything about GM learning from Lutz. The Corvette and trucks as well never really suffered during GM's "dark age". The Corvette and truck teams always put out a decent product when the rest of GM wasn't.

What will show if GM has learned from Lutz are the products that suffered during the dark age( Malibu, Cruze, Sonic, etc).

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
    I disagree. It hasn't shown anything about GM learning from Lutz. The Corvette and trucks as well never really suffered during GM's "dark age". The Corvette and truck teams always put out a decent product when the rest of GM wasn't.

What will show if GM has learned from Lutz are the products that suffered during the dark age( Malibu, Cruze, Sonic, etc).
    Keep in mind if you will that there were miscues with the Corvette, and the trucks in many ways. The Corvette, and the K2XX trucks are the best Corvette, and pickups ever made by GM so in my opinion that certainly shows a renewed commitment to excellence at GM.

Thanks

Bob Lutz mentioned a very important phrase that governs almost all vehicles. That is "COST OBJECTIVE." How much can we afford to spend on this sucker and still get the return on investment we expect and want? If we put more quality in, can we get a higher price for it?
    This is why cars like Commodore struggle because the cost objective doesn't line up with what people in the US are willing to pay, and that increasingly fewer Aussies are willing to pay.
    Think about it: the Aussie dollar and the US dollar are within 5% of each other, US cop cars run $24,600 US, yet Caprice models in Oz with the V8 run double that. WHY? Because they can get it, or could get it.
    Would the Commodore sell better at $24,600 in Oz? Of course. I would guess sales would more than double because for that price you get mostly small cars.
    GM is going to attempt to get Commodore prices in the USA for the Chevrolet SS, and they will sell some, how many depends on the ultimate price out the door, and if it is north of $40,000, many buyers will wait until the used-car price drops into a more affordable range. Price it fully loaded for $40,000 tops and there is a much larger market.
    We'll see GM strategy when the msrp and all additional (gas guzzler) costs are announced.

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    Keep in mind if you will that there were miscues with the Corvette, and the trucks in many ways. The Corvette, and the K2XX trucks are the best Corvette, and pickups ever made by GM so in my opinion that certainly shows a renewed commitment to excellence at GM.
    Not saying they were perfect either. But, they were standouts compared to the rest of GM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

If you consider reports about how truly ineffective GM's current management is in many ways it stands to reason that the recent home runs hit by GM including the ATS, and C7 are truly rousing successes.

Thanks

If only GM were likewise with the rest of their offerings.
    "Common Practice Does Not Necessarily Mean Common Sense"

'09 Vue, '11 Malibu LTZ.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    If you consider reports about how truly ineffective GM's current management is in many ways it stands to reason that the recent home runs hit by GM including the ATS, and C7 are truly rousing successes.
    I know according to many on here Dan can't tie his own shoes properly I'm not sure how he managed not to screw up the Vette, lol.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Railfan View Post
    If only GM were likewise with the rest of their offerings.
    I truly believe they will be soon.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Stay tuned. 2014 is going to be a very interesting year for Chevy.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    I know according to many on here Dan can't tie his own shoes properly I'm not sure how he managed not to screw up the Vette, lol.
    Some say that Coke Can Dan can not tie his own shoes properly, and other say that he is the reverse King Midas but all that we know is he is called The Akerson.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

I think anyone who is a car person will think Lutz is a cool guy and find hit attitude torward product likeable.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information