GM Inside News Forum banner

Looking Back: 1985 Chevrolet Camaro IROC LaserDisc Promo

5K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  JerryL 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Nothing but a smile watching that. Thanks for posting.
There's lots of criticism today about 3rd Gen Fbody performance, but for those who lived through the 80's and spent countless hours in these cars they were a blast to drive. Hugging the corners, T-Tops out, summertime cruising... good times.

#4 ·
I will gladly take your black 89 and the yellow 85 from ya Charlie :D I like these old vids. I was 12 when Iroc came out, and it was love at first site. I made my parents take me to Chevy dealers to drool on them any chance I could get them to take me. The yellow/silver accent and bright blue metallic cars were my faves, as well the grey ones from 88-89.

#8 ·
Those are beautiful Z284ever! I miss my 89 IROC.

#9 ·
I noticed in the 85 IROC Z description, they offered the 5.0L, 5.0L w/ TPI @ 215 HP, and a "special" 5.0L H.O. 4bbl. Though they did not post the HP numbers for the 4bbl, I'd imagine it had less power than the TPI motor. Right? If so, wonder why they offered it?

#10 ·
Oh, I had to watch the second video. The 4bbl HO had 190 HP, less than the TPI's 215HP, but sounds like if you want higher HP and a manual, the 4BBL HO was the only offering. Also as I was watching, the narrator mentioned towing. Wow, capable of towing 6,400lbs! Really? My how safety standards have changed.

#11 · (Edited)
Yes, you're correct, the technically the TPI 5.0 was the better engine numbers wise. BUT.... you got the 3.73's with Auto or stick L69 (5.0 liter H.O) in the Z28 (83-84) or IROC (in 85).. the 3.73's were all the difference in the 0-60 sprint and would hold an edge int he quarter mile. Even my auto equipped 84 L69 used to dispatch TPI IROC Z's, a few friend/associates had them. In 86 it got worse. if you went with TPI for 86 they changed the cam for efficiency, killed that car.. until 87 with the 5.7 or 5.0's if you chose the manual version they gave you the better cam.. tell tale sign is the redline. 5k redline for weaker cam 5500 for hotter....

Also, the Monte carlo ss
had the L69 5.0 with 180hp, all L69 Z28's had 190+hp due to electric fans vs clutch fan in the SS as well as the dual snorkel air cleaner, they were a bit quicker.. they also had a steeper first gear in the 700R4 vs 200R4 in the SS and would run 14.90's if you could drive vs low-mid 15's in the SS

love me some third gens!!! had a few myself.

my 2 owner 68k mile '89 5.7 (replaced with my G8 and now my C6, i would have kept the GTA had i more room in the garage:mad:

redone leather interior.. these were the nicest Seats GM offered in the 80's lol

When i was a teen in the 80's i had this!

my '84 L69 Z28.

#14 ·
My L69 is long gone and I don't miss it. The Gen4 Z28 was so much faster with the LT1..........on second thought the Gen3 was the perfect size for a "pony car". My negative feeling for the Gen3 was that they were so problematic and lacked a 350 in the stick versions......while the Mustang 5.0 was the opposite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.