GM's Reuss Talks 2014 Chevrolet SS Sedan - Motor Trend - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GM's Reuss Talks 2014 Chevrolet SS Sedan - Motor Trend

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,181 Posts

Re: GM's Reuss Talks 2014 Chevrolet SS Sedan - Motor Trend

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Are they really making profits on 230 Caprice's a month? Got to remember that there was a lot of work to make it a cop car. Then, add in the SS where you have to make it LHD, tons of resources there, AND give it a different appearance than the Commodore as well. Only way to make a profit then is to have a high MSRP but making 5-10k cars a year will get you that.
    I don't think it's as big of a deal as you think.

The G8 was LHD, so there go those tons of resources.
    Give it a different appearance? I didn't know a bow tie vs lion was such an inhibitive cost.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Are they really making profits on 230 Caprice's a month? Got to remember that there was a lot of work to make it a cop car. Then, add in the SS where you have to make it LHD, tons of resources there, AND give it a different appearance than the Commodore as well. Only way to make a profit then is to have a high MSRP but making 5-10k cars a year will get you that.
    Are they no longer going to build a Zeta Chevrolet "Lumina" for the Middle East/Africa? I would think that those vehicles would help reduce production costs as well...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but Holden already was building, in the last generation anyway, low volume Zetas for Vauxhall, Chevrolet, and Daewoo, not to mention "kits" for Buick China... So building a relatively low volume, but high priced Chevrolet for North American consumption shouldn't be that difficult for them. I agree the development dollars would be more for the N.A. car, but I would think GMNA would shoulder at least a little of that cost. It should be rather profitable for Holden.

Wasn't building the G8 profitable for Holden? Not GM in general, but for Holden specifically? I seem to remember that it was... But I could be wrong.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

So the Commodore based SS is only going to be in showrooms for two-three years? Thats some wishful thinking. No way is GM going through this investment only figuring out itll work for 20-30k cars.
    This is a test to determine if a business case can be made for a Chevrolet performance sedan based on alpha, in police and civilian versions.
    One scenario has oil going to $200 a barrel, another has oil going to $60 a barrel, depending on Iran. If oil hits $200, the V8 becomes endangered, but if peace breaks out, Iran can produce 6,000,000 barrels a day, Iraq can produce 6,000,000 barrels a day, we are moving to oil independence, and this will lead to a huge oil glut.
    With an oil glut, the V8's future is assured. To me, GM is doing the development work while the future unfolds, a future they need to prepare for and anticipate with both low performance and high performance cars. It's smart to do so

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Totally forgot about the Lumina. What are its sales numbers?
    Just that time again to ignore certain people. I'm certain they will continue to try and instigate and antagonize while throwing up their arms saying they did nothing but are here on a civil basis. Not worth the time seeing how some just seem to know all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    Are they no longer going to build a Zeta Chevrolet "Lumina" for the Middle East/Africa? I would think that those vehicles would help reduce production costs as well...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but Holden already was building, in the last generation anyway, low volume Zetas for Vauxhall, Chevrolet, and Daewoo, not to mention "kits" for Buick China... So building a relatively low volume, but high priced Chevrolet for North American consumption shouldn't be that difficult for them. I agree the development dollars would be more for the N.A. car, but I would think GMNA would shoulder at least a little of that cost. It should be rather profitable for Holden.

Wasn't building the G8 profitable for Holden? Not GM in general, but for Holden specifically? I seem to remember that it was... But I could be wrong.
    I believe the zeta-based Commodore is not scheduled to go beyond 2018, according to what I've read. If there is to be a Commodore past that, it likely would be alpha-based.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
    It's not surprising. Most of the G8 sales were GT's. Not many were V6's.
    And that is where this car needs to be, price and content (for maximum market exposure). Unless they're truly afraid that the SS would eat into the Impala 3.6L LTZ sales.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

This car needs the 450 hp LT1 V8, and if it receives that whilst keeping the weight increase to a minimum it should be a car that will perform at or above the level of vehicles like the Charger/300C SRT8.

Ford can I ask how your One Ford plan neglected performance sedan buyers in the US by removing any, and all opportunity to purchase a Falcon derivative of any kind?

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    And that is where this car needs to be, price and content (for maximum market exposure). Unless they're truly afraid that the SS would eat into the Impala 3.6L LTZ sales.
    The car is meant to be a niche vehicle, not mainstream. The SS being the G8 GXP's equivalent is where the car needs to be for GM's intended purpose. If the SS sedan was the G8 GT, then it truly does dilute the SS name( without going into the whole trim vs model debate).

My meant in mentioning most of the sales being the GT was that there is no point in offering a V6 since hardly anyone bought the G8 with the 3.6 V6.
    Last edited by ChevyRules; 12-05-2012 at 01:23 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 vcs2600's Avatar
    Thanks

Totally forgot about the Lumina. What are its sales numbers?
    Discontinued in the Middle East, still for sale in South Africa and Brazil (Omega). My guess, not very many.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

Having the starting point of the SS be the G8 GXP and hearing it come from him is exciting. Offering the manual and a all around better performer makes the LX twins feel old.

Current rides: 08' Sunburst Orange Cobalt SS/TC
    12' VW Passat TDI Manual

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

I really wish this car had a proper name in front of the rather generic SS badge. Chevelle would be great place to start. I also wish this wasn't being pitched as an over priced halo type car. Chevy could use something to compete with the Charger in RWD larger sized form in both V6 and V8 trims starting right around the 29K mark well equipped. I just don't understand why GM in it's constant excuses just can't develop a pair and just bring this car over to NA and sell it in both V6 and V8 trim levels. If marketed properly and priced reasonable it will sell.

Thanks

Now I know why they are only calling it the SS. The obvious name for a fast RWD V8 powered 'intermediate' sedan is Chevelle. But they cant name this niche expensive limited availability ultra exclusive sports sedan Chevelle. It isnt for the masses who would like a sub $40,000 RWD V8 or V6 sedan which is where a Chevelle would come in.

That said GM should still consider to design and build Chevrolet AND Buick RWD sedans in North America and stop being sissies.
    Last edited by Evo69; 12-05-2012 at 02:34 PM.
    http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Hope the 1lt makes it in the SS

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoman49 View Post
    I really wish this car had a proper name in front of the rather generic SS badge. Chevelle would be great place to start. I also wish this wasn't being pitched as an over priced halo type car. Chevy could use something to compete with the Charger in RWD larger sized form in both V6 and V8 trims starting right around the 29K mark well equipped. I just don't understand why GM in it's constant excuses just can't develop a pair and just bring this car over to NA and sell it in both V6 and V8 trim levels. If marketed properly and priced reasonable it will sell.
    It's really looking like we will get a RWD offering in the 30 something range from buick that will be a full range model. With all of the overlap that could happen with alpha I still wish they would move production of Zeta to the US and keep it around for the SS and commercial use.

Current rides: 08' Sunburst Orange Cobalt SS/TC
    12' VW Passat TDI Manual

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

The magic number for importing Holdens to the US is $40,000. They will finally make money on it. The truth is that cheaper models barely costs anything less to make. A 376cid thumper V8 is one of the cheapest HiPerf mills out there.

This is time for all of the Pontiac and Olds 'haters' to gloat in triumph. Finally you have your expensive Chevy.
    Check out my automotive blog http://elvisceralappeal.blogspot.com/

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information