GMC and Chevrolet Bi-Fuel Pickup Production Begins

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMC and Chevrolet Bi-Fuel Pickup Production Begins

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

GM
    November 8, 2012

Production of the 2013 Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra 2500 HD bi-fuel pickup trucks is underway in Fort Wayne, Ind., and the pickups are available for order by fleet and retail customers through Chevrolet and GMC dealers.

The Silverado HD and Sierra 2500 HD Vortec 6.0L V8 engine runs on gasoline or compressed natural gas (CNG) and seamlessly switches between the two fuels without affecting performance. The CNG and gasoline tanks have a combined range of 650 miles, the longest standard bi-fuel range of any original equipment automaker.

“Customers are choosing our bi-fuel trucks because they provide the same high level of GM truck performance and versatility but can also help businesses control their fuel costs and reduce their carbon footprint,” said Ed Peper, General Motors U.S. vice president of Fleet and Commercial Sales.

The Type-3 single-tank CNG system in the Silverado HD and Sierra 2500 HD is designed to retain more bed space than any competing bi-fuel truck from an Original Equipment Manufacturer. The pickups are available in standard and long-box and two-or-four wheel drive in the extended cab models.

“At Chesapeake, we are converting our fleet of more than 5,000 vehicles to run on natural gas, and having options from GMC and Chevy is critical to help us reach our conversion goal,” said Nate Pumphrey, Chesapeake Energy Corp. director of Fleet Operations. “Following our full conversion, we will save $11 million to $12 million annually on fuel costs.

“As a fleet manager, the stable price of natural gas is another major benefit that helps me budget more accurately, and the fuel’s reduced emissions align with Chesapeake’s commitment to environmental excellence,” he said.

The bi-fuel pickups are ordered from the factory, sent to the Tier One supplier IMPCO for installation of the CNG bi-fuel delivery and storage system and then delivered by GM transportation to the dealer or to an upfitter for customer-ordered modifications.

The bi-fuel option is priced at $11,000 above the suggested retail price of the base vehicle. The entire gaseous fuel system meets GM’s strict quality, durability and safety testing. The trucks will be covered by GM’s three-year, 36,000-mile new vehicle limited warranty and five-year, 100,000-mile limited powertrain warranty and vehicle emissions warranty. The vehicle meets all Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and California Air Resources Board (CARB) emission certification requirements.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Re: GMC and Chevrolet Bi-Fuel Pickup Production Begins

Great news! I just passed this along to someone who runs a large fleet, and has on-site natural gas filling facilities already at many sites. He was asking me over the summer if GM made any CNG pickups (and they didn't). Hope this helps sell a few of these to people like him.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm surprised they did this so close to the end of the line for the GMT-900s.
    2006 Impala SS: 245,000 miles and counting
    2002 Camaro Z28 (M6) (Click for Info!); 484 RWHP/418 RWTQ. LQ4 block, LS3 heads and intake, lots of other stuff, too.
    2009 Saturn VUE XE AWD

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

"The bi-fuel option is priced at $11,000 above the suggested retail price of the base vehicle."

I'm sure GM wants to make sure it makes a profit, but wow, that's a huge price premium.

Thanks

For 11k I dont think it would really make since money wise for anyone. Not doing any math just a lot of money....
    2002 Firehawk TA A4 vert NBM
    2004 Pontiac Bonneville daily driver 140K and counting
    1979 Cadillac Eldorado 23000 one owner original miles
    ONLY GM ONLY THE BEST

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

Yikes! You'd have to keep the vehicles for a loooong time to recoup the extra $11K Wonder what accounts for all that extra $.
    Check out my automotive blog http://elvisceralappeal.blogspot.com/

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vanshmack View Post
    I'm surprised they did this so close to the end of the line for the GMT-900s.
    That occurred to me as well but it sounds like there is likely an even larger opportunity for conversions.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

My husband is a truck driver for a Propane company. His company does dual fuel propane conversions all the time. To have the vehicle run on one fuel only, is not as expensive, but still runs upwards of $5-7000. Dual fuel conversions are considerably more expensive, as everything in the vehicle has to accomodate 2 completely incompatible fuels. The second fuel needs its own high pressure fuel tanks (CNG and NPG would be very similar), which are very expensive, and finding and fitting them is also. Then you have all of the hardware and fuel system for the second fuel, which is also very expensive. In the case of Propane, it is operating at very high pressures, and is a liquid that changes to a gas. It is also extremely cold.

Then, in your modern vehicles, there is all of the software changes that have to happen due to the entirely differenty burn characteristics of the second fuel.

To me, the upcharge is completely understandable.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Propane doesn't require as much pressure as CNG- in fact it's quite low (ie plastic cigarette lighter) so the tank isnt as expensive. The complexity of the delivery system can have a huge impact in price- ie the latest systems inject liquid into the ports and has the effect of cooling the air and can actually get more power than petrol.

I'm just wondering, can a CNG filler be hooked up to the home natural gas supply? This would make filling up really cheap indeed.

Also slightly related- you can also add a 30% mix of LPG/CNG to diesel and has the effect of burning a lot more efficiently and creating a surprising amount more power

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    My husband is a truck driver for a Propane company. His company does dual fuel propane conversions all the time. To have the vehicle run on one fuel only, is not as expensive, but still runs upwards of $5-7000. Dual fuel conversions are considerably more expensive, as everything in the vehicle has to accomodate 2 completely incompatible fuels. The second fuel needs its own high pressure fuel tanks (CNG and NPG would be very similar), which are very expensive, and finding and fitting them is also. Then you have all of the hardware and fuel system for the second fuel, which is also very expensive. In the case of Propane, it is operating at very high pressures, and is a liquid that changes to a gas. It is also extremely cold.

Then, in your modern vehicles, there is all of the software changes that have to happen due to the entirely differenty burn characteristics of the second fuel.

To me, the upcharge is completely understandable.

Thanks

back during the 70s gas crunch i could have had a pickup converted to propane for $800. at GM price you could not break even if you got the CNG free.
    chevy owner since 1953,30 new chevys and 11 new corvettes since 1959 ,# 11 2008 corvette in the garage ,2004 impala,1988 2500 silverado,former NASCAR tech inspector,retired race engine builder. 2008 corvette sold waiting for the C-7. old 88 silverado gone and replaced with a new 2013 ext cab silverado.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kylepo View Post
    For 11k I dont think it would really make since money wise for anyone. Not doing any math just a lot of money....
    Quote Originally Posted by KingElvis View Post
    Yikes! You'd have to keep the vehicles for a loooong time to recoup the extra $11K Wonder what accounts for all that extra $.

Simple math. $11k (MSRP) x 5k trucks = $55 million. Saving $11 to $12 million annually on fuel the ROI is 5 years. $11k per truck is MSRP. Chesapeake is obviously paying less. Plus some of the normal business tax write offs and credits for (green), depreciation, etc their probably in the neighborhood of 3.5 to 4 years RIO.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC oldsfiesta1958's Avatar
    Thanks

Anybody know if these can use the car pool lanes in California?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
    I'm just wondering, can a CNG filler be hooked up to the home natural gas supply? This would make filling up really cheap indeed.
    One of my buddies has been considering a CNG vehicle for a few years now. There are home filling options that can be installed like Gasfill (http://www.gasfill.com/). The info from GM on these trucks didn't state how much CNG capacity the tanks have. The home filling option runs overnight much like home charging of electric vehicles.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Ha the "stable price of natural gas". That IS a load of crap. NG prices are low and steady(er) for the moment. Look at the last 2 years and they are anything but low. With the Obama EPA expect increases.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC oldsfiesta1958's Avatar
    Thanks

Anybody know if these can use the car pool lanes in California?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information