GM Says 100-Mile Battery Range Key Tipping Point for EVs

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GM Says 100-Mile Battery Range Key Tipping Point for EVs

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Wards Auto
    November 14, 2012
    by James M. Amend

The first auto maker to break the 100-mile (161-km) range on batteries for electrified vehicles will dominate a market segment where costs are keeping a lid on sales volumes, General Motors product-development chief Mary Barra says.

Auto makers worldwide intend to make EVs an important part of their go-to-market strategy because of ever-tightening global fuel-economy and carbon-dioxide emissions standards. Rising fuel prices and growing environmental sensibilities among consumers also are pulling the technology into the market.

But the cost of battery technology powering electrified cars makes them a tough sell to most buyers, because it adds thousands of dollars to the sticker price.

The Chevrolet Volt’s lithium-ion battery powering it to roughly 40 miles (64 km) of range adds between $8,000 and $10,000 to the cost of the $40,000 compact car. The Volt, launched in 2011, was expected to sell 10,000 units its first year in the U.S. market, but did not reach that point until earlier this year.

GM has not announced range or pricing for the Spark EV, which it expects will travel distances at the upper range of its competition.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Re: GM Says 100-Mile Battery Range Key Tipping Point for EVs

Oh really ?

Don't think so - need more than just the range,

Although sure, it would help and if singular would allow domination of what, one to six tenths of one percent of the market - in the USA ( only ) ?????

How much would this contribute to the bottomline ? - hey, don't run, come back here -

And golly gee whiz, this bottomline contribution compares to licensing an 8HP instead - how exactly ?

Roughly in partial form.....

100 -150k life - with adequate performance thru out ie no drop off in effective battery performance & range.

1,000 - 5,000 $ battery pack replacement / system renewal cost - meaning a real and comprehensive number ie all in, but excluding tax and local fees. So all parts involved and labor

10 - 20 minute recharge - but really you need more like a 200 - 400 mile range even with this.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 11-15-2012 at 01:30 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks

Yes, 100 miles is a nice thing to have.

But there needs to be a standardized rapid charging infrastructure that goes beyond the home stations. And there are just limited amounts in select cities in the US right now.
    For example, a lot of the corporate office parks could have sections of their parking lots dedicated to electric cars.

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO 2020!! ... LAKE TAHOE 2022!!

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    Oh really ?

Although sure, it would help and if singular would allow domination of what, one to six tenths of one percent of the market - in the USA ( only ) ?????

How much would this contribute to the bottomline ? - hey, don't run, come back here -

And golly gee whiz, this bottomline contribution compares to licensing an 8HP instead - how exactly ?

100 -150k life - with adequate performance thru out ie no drop off in effective battery performance & range.

1,000 - 5,000 $ battery pack replacement / system renewal cost - meaning a real and comprehensive number ie all in, but excluding tax and local fees. So all parts involved and labor

10 - 20 minute recharge - but really you need more like a 200 - 400 mile range even with this.
    I agree but I think even 5k for a replacment is pushing it. Thats a huge one time cost to most. Nobody will care that you save the same in fuel. Heck if it only breaks even then whats the point?

Thanks

a lot of drivers put everything off till the last minute as shown by the number of car at a filling station early in the morning. if these people can't fill up the night before what makes you think they are going to plug in the car to charge the battery.
    chevy owner since 1953,30 new chevys and 11 new corvettes since 1959 ,# 11 2008 corvette in the garage ,2004 impala,1988 2500 silverado,former NASCAR tech inspector,retired race engine builder. 2008 corvette sold waiting for the C-7. old 88 silverado gone and replaced with a new 2013 ext cab silverado.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motorman View Post
    a lot of drivers put everything off till the last minute as shown by the number of car at a filling station early in the morning. if these people can't fill up the night before what makes you think they are going to plug in the car to charge the battery.
    That's kind of a silly question considering there are thousands of people out there driving EVs and there is not a widespread problem of forgetting to plug in. If you buy an EV you are probably someone who is prepared to remember to plug in.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
    I agree but I think even 5k for a replacment is pushing it. Thats a huge one time cost to most. Nobody will care that you save the same in fuel. Heck if it only breaks even then whats the point?

Yes, I agree, spd98.

100 - 1,000 $ would be best.....

But there has to be something of a realistic if remote $ range for different types of users and different types of vehicles.

The idea was to pick the cheaper end of a medium / medium large engine or tranny repair/ cheap replacement as a rough comp.

I know, I know,........ including nobody likes any of that either - especially as a guaranteed future expense - but you gotta' start somewhere - useable.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Corvette Convertible-Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    Oh really ?

I don't know what you've been drinking, but you don't make much sense.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Methinks range is a bit of red herring. Really, recharge time matters more than anything else. If recharging took minutes rather than hours, a short range would be a small inconvenience, not a deal breaker. But, getting a sub-5 minute recharge time seems really, really hard. I do think a battery with an 100 mile range, affordable pricing and very fast recharging would be a game-changer; much moreso than a 400 mile battery with today's several-hour recharge time.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by Al465 View Post
    I don't know what you've been drinking, but you don't make much sense.
    Speaking of drinking and what comes after, it's sure been fun to watch this entire industry try and piss up the rope while standing in the wind all the wrong way since '97 - concerning batteries and cars hasn't it ?

They are in fact the samo samo ie a fail by merit - only this time we have the WS scamsters helping it along with massive Government subsidies etc.

Jumping from the pot into the fire is usually held up as an example of bad and unpleasant fail - yes ?
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 11-15-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Pontiac G8 V6

I think it is entry cost more then range because people looking @ 40K cars can afford the gas in a 20K car for a long time and every EV car I have read about costs in the 40K range and is equal to a 20K gas car leaf=versa ETC
    60 miles or 200 miles excludes using it for a road trip and few drivers that live in urban environments drive over 20-30 Miles a day as "proven" by the VOLT getting 100's of MPG because they are staying in the VOLTS EV range mostly

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

a real world range of 100 miles will require a 36kWh battery that is nearly all usable.. at $200/kWh (the cost of lithium-ion laptop cells) it would total up to $7200 in cells alone. When GM started developing the Volt batteries were around $1000/kWh, dropped to about $700/kWh when they starting selling it and are around $550/kWh now with the battery glut.

Look how little gas Volt owners use with only a 40 mile range, 100 miles would meet the needs of 99% of the public.. an no, even with fast chargers 100 miles of range is not suitable for long distance driving.. pure EV are still city cars, dont try to force them into a different role.

The Tesla S with 265 miles of range is the first EV that is suitable for long distance driving.. assuming Tesla setup their fast charger network as promised. Drive for 4 hours, charge it up during your 45 minute lunch break and drive another 4 hours.

Thanks

No, no, no!! The leader will be the one who is first to implement an ultra fast charging system, to me, and a lot of people I know, it's the not being able to pull up to a gas station and fill up whenever you need to that puts me off. That's why I like the Volt. Best of both worlds.

When I can charge a pure electric vehicle in a resonable ammount of time, if stranded, sign me up. There's certainly not going to be any running out of charge and walking to the station and bringing a charge back....LOL. You can't just get a gallon of gas to get you going!

Plus, imagine a cross country trip in a pure EV. 100 miles, stop, charge overnight, 100 miles more, stop, charge overnight... You get my point? No thanks. If I could stop, charge up and go on another 100 miles indefinately, then you're the winner.

In my book anyway!
    "It's starting to hit me like a ....ummmm... two ton heavy thing"

Current Car : 2001 Blazer 4x4 *sold

Temporarily driving a 2002 Saturn SL2......SMH

GMI Staff Member Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

If the Volt had a 100 mile/160km battery we'd nearly never use gas.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Has everyone forgotten or do not know about the Tesla Model S?

http://www.teslamotors.com/models

Folks, this car is a game changer. 300 miles on a single charge at 55 mph. 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. Wicked good looks (i.e. it does not LOOK like an electric car, or what I refer to the typical style of an electric car as what looks like a hippie's drug trip)

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information