GM Reveals 2014 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra - Page 18

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Reveals 2014 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra

Thanks

Re: GM Reveals 2014 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra

Silverado looks very powerful. I like the exterior and interior designs of these trucks. I have full confidence that these trucks are very capable machines that can dominate their competitors. I for one am not too surprised on the conservative looks of these new trucks as I have already deduced how they would look more or less from the camo'd mules.

My main gripes are: Not enough exterior design differentiation between the Silverado and Sierra except the front fascia. Both Silverado and Sierra still share the same interior dash and instrument panels. The 2014 Sierra only looks like a upscale version of the 2013 Sierra. Naming the truck engine family EcoTec3 is total nonsense. Either keep the Vortec name or name them something else, leave EcoTec to cars.

These trucks are only the beginning. I expect to see more trim models in the next year. I hope GM knows they must come with multiple grilles and grille patterns for every trim. Two new strong trucks from GM. The Silverado in particular looks the part of a real workhorse.
    http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

DGA
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

One huge plus for me is that they are moving to the 9.5" rear axle on all V8s. Finally!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal44 View Post
    The exterior of these trucks are just awful!

I have bought nothing but GM vehicles all my life (now 36), but I decided to take the blinders off ever since the bailout. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy GM again, but it's nice knowing that I now have more options - and these trucks would not be an option!
    Looks are subjective. Enjoy your new Whatevermobile.
    Lexus is advertising that it is rated the #1 value amongst luxury brands. I guess it is no longer a luxury brand.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1996 Buick Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyBlackDream View Post
    It's a truck so what??? Wtf is that suppose to mean?. It's also about to be 2013. They need to act like it and get it together.
    Yeah, geez, it's almost 2013, we should be able to shift the car with our minds... Come on GM, you should have thought of that, and because you didn't, I'm leaving the brand.

Present Rides: 1996 Buick Riviera, 176,000 Miles
    Past Rides: 1995 Pontiac Trans Sport 210,000 Miles

Buick, The American Riviera.
    Updated: 9-3-2014

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Blacking out the GMC grille with small chrome lines helps me a lot, but then the darn fugly headlights stick-out like they're bug-eyes but chrome bug-eyes. Chrome the grill then the lights work ok, but then the grille is obnoxious. Can't win either way. Headlights need a little toning down and should be ok either way.
    Love the hood, the rear shape, and the crew cab look, all good.
    Not sure about the black fender liners yet on the GMC

DGA
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joemac View Post
    I'm not clung into wiz bang anything. Just evaluating the factual information we have been presented with no pretenses.

I'm not telling you anything that's any different from the actual situation. No conjecture or emotional responses and tirades cause there are no cool catch phrases to latch onto.

Qualify behind. How many trucks are offered today with 8 speed or greater transmission sets? Now what percentage of all truck models sold does this make up?

Simply put GM has more risk in not getting the 8 speed transmission program right, for all the vehicle models that will be a consumer of this transmission family. Some people might prefer to have it right, than first. Volt versus Leaf would be a good example from the not too distant past. To each his/her own.
    I think it's a good thing to wait and put out a good product especially on something as important as a transmission, than to half bake and rush it. That being said, GM has known where the market is moving, as well as where they need to be with the truck and the Corvette transmissions. They have fallen short with the 6-speed on the trucks. This will be painfully evident once the trucks have the 8-speed in them, from the efficiency and performance, as well as competition stand points. This has nothign to do with any other rear wheel drive platform they offer, but their bread and butter, trucks.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joemac View Post
    Amazing conclusion after understanding zero specifications and metrics on the trucks performance and capability in a competitive nature. Wiz bang words and phrases: turbos, 12 speed transmissions, flux capacitors, don't mean anything until the scientific data and facts are presented. We simply haven't seen that information at this point in time.

Maybe there's an audience out there that buys into the wiz bang catch phrases without looking at the fundamentals.

One key note is that GM offers more vehicles and more volume with RWD transmissions than any other manufacturer comparatively. Thus any change to this family of transmissions have to integrate and work correctly in a multitude of different applications. Just by the sheer volume and amount of models these transmissions will poor into across the portfolio has it that GM has a greater amount of work to perform than anyone else when it comes to making and introducing a new family of RWD transmissions across all models that will eventually house this new transmission family.

So no by GM or any manufacturer doing it right, a new 8 speed transmission program will not be an overnight accomplishment.

Your comment makes absolutely no sense and is in all sense ignorant. A twin turbo v6, 8spd transmission, is by no means a catch phrase, its called technology. Its called, lets think outside the box to make something better rather than just repackaging it. Do you not realize that. GM is losing the truck market, this is not an opinion it is market trends and fact. Ford has grown by 12%, dodge around 19%, while GM has grown by 2%. Say what you want about dodge, but hey guess what they are growing because they came out with a v6 and an 8spd tranny that gets 25 mpg highway...THAT WILL SELL TRUCKS...the same rebadged so called new 5.3 with similar power and mpg wont. It will keep the loyalist but thats it. Unless GM is willing to take bigger risks with technology or as you call it...magic, they will continue to lose the truck market. Now like I said I've owned over 14 GMs in 10 years and I currently have 3 GM trucks 05, 07, 11. But guess what dodge and ford have surpassed them with ingenuity and technology. Why will i buy a model that looks very similar to one that came out in 06 that gets less mpg and has less power than its competition....I've been loyal to GM long enough and its time for me to move on to the truck thats best suited for the job that needs to get done....oh and by the way "wiz bang catch phrases" help sell trucks but thats another common sense fact you seem to have missed.
    Last edited by bugs37; 12-13-2012 at 01:23 PM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 MyImpalaSS's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Impala SS(Black on Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal44 View Post
    The exterior of these trucks are just awful!

I have bought nothing but GM vehicles all my life (now 36), but I decided to take the blinders off ever since the bailout. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy GM again, but it's nice knowing that I now have more options - and these trucks would not be an option!

Dueces!!!!!!
    Current Cars:
    2010 Black Impala SS(my baby)
    2009 Gold Yukon Denali(wife drives it)
    2010 Black Hummer H3 Alpha(for my off-roading pleasure
    )

Future Cars:
    The Caddy Flagship
    C7 Corvette
    ATS 2.0T AWD Black exterior/Red interior(For my twins)

GM 4 LIFE!!!
    Nobody else does it better

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

They look more like the HD versions, which is better for the Silverado. They're slightly cartoonish, and I'm still undecided about the interior.

They look better than the F-150. I think the Ram lost a little styling edge with the last tweak they made.

Where's the Regular cab and Extended cab? I'm curious as to what the stripped down work truck will look like.
    Last edited by Uzzy; 12-13-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by bugs37 View Post
    Your comment makes absolutely no sense and is in all sense ignorant. A twin turbo v6, 8spd transmission, is by no means a catch phrase, its called technology. Its called, lets think outside the box to make something better rather than just repackaging it. Do you not realize that. GM is losing the truck market, this is not an opinion it is market trends and fact. Ford has grown by 12%, dodge around 19%, while GM has grown by 2%. Say what you want about dodge, but hey guess what they are growing because they came out with a v6 and an 8spd tranny that gets 25 mpg highway...THAT WILL SELL TRUCKS...the same rebadged so called new 5.3 with similar power and mpg wont. It will keep the loyalist but thats it. Unless GM is willing to take bigger risks with technology or as you call it...magic, they will continue to lose the truck market. Now like I said I've owned over 14 GMs in 10 years and I currently have 3 GM trucks 05, 07, 11. But guess what dodge and ford have surpassed them with ingenuity and technology. Why will i buy a model that looks very similar to one that came out in 06 that gets less mpg and has less power than its competition....I've been loyal to GM long enough and its time for me to move on to the truck thats best suited for the job that needs to get done....oh and by the way "wiz bang catch phrases" help sell trucks but thats another common sense fact you seem to have missed.
    Remind me again how Ford has now been surpassed by Dodge because they do not have 8 speed transmissions? Pray tell could you also show me where I could peruse the power, and fuel economy date on the new Gen V V8's that only you seem to have access to?

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Really!!!!!!!!!!!!! GM better figure out a way to get more torque out of that V6. Not impressed. Malibu part II. Let the redesign began before this thing ever hits the lot. Heres a suggestion as many have said Twin Turbo. Just sayin

DGA
    Thanks

GM has never been about anything ground breaking in their trucks, but solid, capable vehicles that last. I like that, but was just for once hoping for that feather in GM's hat. A cutout step in the rear bumper ain't it.

Only thing that would dissuade me from an 8-speed is if the 5.3 gets 18 city/23 hwy, and hopefully it will come in an extra cab, 8' box, 4x4 configuration.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 ChevyRacing48's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SCCA1995 View Post
    I'll agree that the Silverado is a major improvement over the GMT-900, but I think the Sierra didn't get any better looking. It at least didn't get any worse looking. It's 2 different versions of a great looking truck.
    There is a side by side comparison picture floating around, GMT-900 Sierra and K2XX Sierra, it's not even close. The 900 looks so out-dated, bland and boring compared to the new one. And I thought the GMT-900 Sierra was a hit exterior styling wise, but imo it doesn't even compared to this new one. Similar lay-out, but more modern, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Evo69 View Post
    The Silverado in particular looks the part of a real workhorse.
    Brings me to tears of joy!
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Tranny - Trans Go Jr. & ATS Converter
    Exhaust - MBRP Cool Duals Straight Piped with EGR blocked
    Steering - Dmax Store Kryptonite centerlink & tie rods with Moog pittman/idler arms and Cognito supports
    Suspension - Cognito leveling kit with 2" rear blocks and Bilsteins
    Tires - 33" BFG AT Ko's
    Programmer - EFI Live tuned by Idaho Rob!

2010 Chevy Cobalt XFE

2013 Buick Enclave AWD Premium Carbon Black w/ Ebony Interior

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    Remind me again how Ford has now been surpassed by Dodge because they do not have 8 speed transmissions? Pray tell could you also show me where I could peruse the power, and fuel economy date on the new Gen V V8's that only you seem to have access to?
    Ford has not been surpassed, that statistic is off rate of growth not overall market...When I use the words "have grown by xx% that is not the same as they have xx% of the market. Please read thoroughly before you respond. In addition the 8spd and the pentastar has helped dodge immensely improve their sales and outlook of the 1500s. Ford has the ecoboost which has been a major success, the majority of F150s sold today are sold with v6s. I dont argue BS, I present FACT. GM has not done a good job of reinventing themselves so far with this truck. Its not a bad looking truck, but its not meeting the bar the other companies are setting. I hope their new engines are good, but I havent been presented with any info that would indicate they will be groundbreaking. There is no mention of newer technology, no tt, new tranny etc...instead GM discussed AFM, which has been around for years and has no impact on hp and minimal impact on mpg. If the numbers where groundbreaking...they would have announced it as a highlight along with the mpg. Unless you believe..that the best marketing plan is to keep your possible best highlights a top secret
    Last edited by bugs37; 12-13-2012 at 01:43 PM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bugs37 View Post
    Truck owners have found that having stickers and emblems of cool marketing language make trucks more capable and perform to a greater level. ;/

Its amazing the consensus of absolutes can be determined from a truck revel that doesn't disclose anything factual.

Please carry on if one is into buying the latest catch phrase and marketing there are many other truck brands out there that will sell you some wiz bang key words with the proper emblem.

As of today. We don't know anything about power delivery, fuel economy, GVWR, GCWR, NVH, braking, acceleration, towing. Yet these vehicles have been declared substandard cause the word "turbo" or something cool wasn't mentioned. Amazing how some have lost capability to rationally and logically assess information and then actually invent conclusions with zero scientific data.

Even after having all the specifications its difficult to decipher outside of real world testing. As in the real world things might conclude different than one might expect. Example the clean sheet brand new 400HP/800TQ Super Duty couldn't out perform the several times made over 397HP/765TQ Duramax. Reference Rumble in the Rockies tests performed by PUTC.

Some people will wait until all the information is know before before making conclusions. For most, what we've learned today, very little if anything is known about the GM trucks capability, performance, and economy. To each his/her own.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information