GM Makes Improvements In >Standard< Headlights With New Traverse

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GM Makes Improvements In >Standard< Headlights With New Traverse

News Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,683 Times in 678 Posts
    My Ride
    Manual trans car on order!

GM Makes Improvements In >Standard< Headlights With New Traverse

Source: General Motors

Photo shows new GM D-Optic LED headlamps (standard on High Country and Premier).

GM has announced that a new type of LED lamp assembly will be standard on Premier and High Country models, but the new order guide, published March 10th, shows that high intensity discharge lamps will be STANDARD on ALL other models. Quite a step up, and considering the new IIHS headlamp testing program; quite timely.

IIHS Information:

About half of all fatal crashes in the U.S. occur in the dark, and more than a quarter occur on unlit roads.

Headlights have an obvious role to play in preventing nighttime crashes, but not all headlights perform their job equally. Differences in bulb type, headlight technology and even something as basic as how the lights are aimed all affect the amount of useful light supplied.

Headlight technology has been developing rapidly in recent years. LED and high-intensity discharge (HID) lamps have begun to replace the traditional halogen ones. Many automakers offer curve-adaptive headlights, which respond to steering and swivel according to the direction of travel. Many also offer high-beam assist, a feature that can increase the use of high beams by automatically switching between high beams and low beams based on the presence of other vehicles.

At the same time, government regulations about headlights don't guarantee consistency when it comes to the amount of illumination they provide in actual on-road use. This has resulted in large variation in headlight performance. Many vehicles sold today have inadequate headlights, despite the recent strides in lighting technology.

How headlights are tested:

IIHS engineers measure the reach of a vehicle's headlights as the vehicle travels straight and on curves. Sensors on the track measure how far from the vehicle the light extends with an intensity of at least 5 lux. A lux is a unit of illuminance, or the amount of light falling on a surface. For comparison, a full moon on a cloudless night illuminates the ground below to about 1 lux.

Both low beams and high beams are measured on five approaches:

Straightaway

Gradual left curve (800-foot radius)

Gradual right curve (800-foot radius)

Sharp left curve (500-foot radius)

Sharp right curve (500-foot radius)

On each approach, visibility measurements are taken on the right edge of the roadway. On the curves, measurements also are taken on the left edge of the travel lane. On the straightaway, the second measurement is taken at a point corresponding to the left edge of a two-lane road. This allows the engineers to gauge the illumination on both the right and left side of a straightaway, which are typically quite different. With most headlights, there is a steep drop-off in light on the left side of a straight road in order to prevent glare to oncoming vehicles.

Glare for oncoming vehicles is also measured from low beams in each scenario. Engineers record the percentage by which it exceeds a set threshold.

Headlights are tested as received from the dealer. Although many headlight problems could be resolved by adjusting the aim of the lamps, IIHS doesn't change headlight aim. Few vehicle owners adjust the vertical aim of their headlights, so leaving the aim the way it was set at the factory makes the testing more realistic. Horizontal aim also is important, but in most vehicles it can't be changed after the initial factory setting.

Readings are taken 10 inches from the ground for visibility and 3 feet, 7 inches from the ground for glare.
    How ratings are assigned

IIHS engineers compare the results of the testing with a hypothetical ideal headlight system. Using a system of demerits, they apply the visibility and glare measurements to determine the rating.

In this system, the low beams are weighted more heavily than the high beams because they are used more often. The readings on the straightaway are weighted more heavily than those on the curves because crashes are more common on straight sections of road.

A vehicle with no demerits doesn't exceed the glare threshold on any approach and provides illumination to at least 5 lux over the distances shown in the graphic below. Longer visibility distances are required on the straightaway compared with the curves because vehicles tend to travel at higher speeds while going straight. Similarly, greater visibility is required on gradual curves compared with sharp curves.
    headlight range graphic

Vehicles equipped with high-beam assist get their low beam demerits reduced. This credit is given only for approaches on which the high beams provide more visibility than the low beams.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (03-17-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,683 Times in 678 Posts
    My Ride
    Manual trans car on order!

Re: GM Makes Improvements In >Standard< Headlights With New Traverse

Hats off to GM for improving base model headlight output with the all-new Chevrolet Traverse.

Let's hope this new technology will spread to all GM products with less than IIHS "acceptable" headlamp systems.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (03-17-2017),BlackGTP (03-16-2017),DansGS (03-17-2017),dslay04 (03-16-2017),Evo69 (03-16-2017),mbukukanyau (03-16-2017),thechevyisnumber1 (03-19-2017),TruckMan (03-17-2017),WishIhadatruck (03-17-2017)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,561 Times in 1,582 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Few vehicle owners adjust the vertical aim of their headlights, so leaving the aim the way it was set at the factory makes the testing more realistic. Horizontal aim also is important, but in most vehicles it can't be changed after the initial factory setting.
    This is why sometimes the IIHS gets a bad wrap. You don't adjust the headlights at all? None? What if they were bumped and knocked out of alignment before you got the car? People need to take SOME accountability with this crap.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (03-18-2017)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,561 Times in 1,639 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Good move.

Thanks

They don't want the negative press like what happenned with the Buick Lacrosse

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    This is why sometimes the IIHS gets a bad wrap. You don't adjust the headlights at all? None? What if they were bumped and knocked out of alignment before you got the car? People need to take SOME accountability with this crap.
    IF the maker is shipping cars with "bad" headlight AIM and they "fixed" it before testing then the consumer OWNED cars would NOT perform as well as tested

I personally think GM / any other maker should NOT GET KUDOS until the BASE spec PERFORMS as WELL as the PREMIER trim models and these do NOT offer that and GM if forcing you to pay for a VERY EXPENSIVE model to get the best performing headlights (ASSUMING the LED IS better then the HID units and I would )

12. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

AusCalais (03-17-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze TD , 88 Fiero GT

I think this LED Lamp system should be standard, The upper end should be the Intellilux system.

Ken

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kmacleod For This Useful Post:

91fairladyZ (03-16-2017)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 91fairladyZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT2 Silver

Hoping the Malibu and Cruze see an option for advance headlamps. It's crazy to think that in this market you can't even option HID's on these cars.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 91fairladyZ For This Useful Post:

DansGS (03-17-2017),Evo69 (03-27-2017),mtbsteve (03-20-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by kmacleod View Post
    I think this LED Lamp system should be standard, The upper end should be the Intellilux system.

Ken
    Intellilux system is illegal here due to US laws.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (03-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,793 Times in 4,766 Posts

Never knew you even could

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

As IIHS has already pointed out, neither HID lights or LED lights guarantee good lighting. It's about the intensity and spread. I hope GM is focused on that and not the technology.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to usa1 For This Useful Post:

ChrisGinNC (03-19-2017),gkr778 (03-16-2017),Neanderthal (03-18-2017),TruckMan (03-17-2017)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    The GTO only illuminated about 20' of concrete in front of the car with the factory aim. It was terrible. I'd say the majority of GTO owners adjusted their headlights upwards, and then they became pretty good. First car I ever owned with projectors (halogen of course).
    Current rides:
    2016 Chevrolet Equinox LT
    2014 Chevrolet Volt
    2011 Saab 9-3 Convertible Aero
    1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale

Past rides:
    2013 Chevrolet Cruze LS M6, 2013 Buick Encore, 2007 Buick Rendezvous CXL, 2006 Pontiac GTO M6, 2005 Pontiac GTO M6, 1999 Ford Contour SVT, 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible, 1989 Buick Regal, 1983 Buick Regal

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Oh yea. Most factory lights are set but then the bumper is placed on the car throwing them out of whack. It's the first thing I usually check. The Camaro was spot on.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (03-18-2017)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar bmwboy2007's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the best available lighting technology for headlights should be MANDATED for all cars and trucks, along with automatic headlights. It's a safety issue

No exceptions.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmwboy2007 For This Useful Post:

91fairladyZ (03-16-2017),Neanderthal (03-18-2017)

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Quote Originally Posted by kmacleod View Post

Ken
    Intellilux system is illegal here due to US laws.
    That's a shame. It's a safety feature, ffs. What's the problem with it?

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information