GM CEO Confirms Diesel Cruze For U.S.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM CEO Confirms Diesel Cruze For U.S.

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,622 Times in 372 Posts
    Blog Entries

As GMI reported in February, Cruze is getting diesel.
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    July 22, 2011
    By: Nick Saporito

Update: GM has issued a press release confirming that a diesel-powered Cruze will launch in 2013.

Way back in February GMI reported that General Motors was developing a diesel variant of the popular Chevrolet Cruze small sedan. In an interview with USA Today, GM CEO Dan Akerson flat-out confirmed the car and said he has even driven it!

According to the interview, Akerson admitted the car will arrive in 2013. GMI has already reported that the car will be a 2014 model year vehicle.

The CEO even stated that the car drives great and is very quiet. He also stated to expect fuel economy numbers in the low to mid-40's, lower than recent speculation has suggested.

The Cruze diesel has been in development for some time now, with many test mules of the car running around the metro Detroit area.

Cruze Diesel will utilize GM's 2.0-liter diesel that is currently utilized in Europe under the Opel nameplate and the European Cruze also sports the 2.0-liter diesel.

Expect other major changes to the Cruze in the 2014 model year.
    Last edited by nsap; 07-22-2011 at 11:08 AM.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

Re: GM CEO Confirms Diesel Cruze For U.S.

So wait, is the Cruze getting its major refresh in 2012 or 2013?

Anywho, I was kind of thinking the 50 mpg estimate was a little lofty, but either way, as long as it gets better MPG's than the Jetta diesel it should be fine.

I applaud GM for this move, people have been asking for an American compact diesel for years, and now they will get one. Doesn't seem like it should take until 2013 to get here though, especially if they are already driving it around and such, but hey what do I know.
    "What about that "best all-around subcompact car" business? Yeah, we're gonna say it: The Chevy Sonic – manual or auto – is just that. You heard it, Fiesta fanatics"

-Inside line.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 ChevroletGuy's Avatar
    Thanks

I bet that 40mpg figure is combined, so 30 city and 50 hwy.
    Taking Back America, One Chevy at a Time

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

For a Cruze to average mid 40s, real world, it would almost certainly approach 50 on the highway. And that doesn't even consider eAssist, that could substantially improve fe even more.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 srx lux,2013 srx

I will own one if it gets in high 40s mpg.I can,t wait

Thanks

...but, which diesel engine? There's the current 2.0L and a new 1.7L version in Europe!
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970˝ Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 273 4M

Thanks
    My Ride
    012 Vette 012 Volt 010 Equinox

Why that kind of lead time for a car that already exists? Mule - why do they need a mule? GM still has no sense of urgency. Catch the wave on the way up, as opposed to their normal way down.
    Don't think Meat, Throw the ball - Crash Davis

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Malibu

Quote Originally Posted by 70AARCUDA View Post
    ...but, which diesel engine? There's the current 2.0L and a new 1.7L version in Europe!
    The article states that it will use the 2.0L.

CURRENT CARS:
    2013 Chevrolet Malibu LS
    2010 Mazda CX-9
    Former Cars:
    2008 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
    2005 Acura TSX
    2003 Chevrolet Malibu
    1999 Buick Regal
    1998 Buick Century
    1995 Pontiac Grand Am
    1993 pontiac Grand Am
    1988 Chevrolet Camaro
    1986 Chevrolet Caprice
    1986 Pontiac Grand An
    1980 Chevrolet Malibu

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I hope the Cruze cdti does well, and the 2.0 cdti lands in a few other models, as well. Equinox, Terrain, Malibu, Verano, Regal, LaCrosse, ATS, and the upcoming compact pickup should all be on the list of vehicles under consideration.

The CNG discussion is interesting, too. I am anxious to see what vehicles get CNG powertrains.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Terrain/2012/Olympic White

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    For a Cruze to average mid 40s, real world, it would almost certainly approach 50 on the highway. And that doesn't even consider eAssist, that could substantially improve fe even more.
    Well as someone at GM said eassist makes sense in only certain applications but yes I would bet it would be up there. This is a great idea, got eco model for those who don't want a diesel and don't mind only cloth seats and the diesel for people who want the mpg and a bit of luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by chevypowa670 View Post
    So wait, is the Cruze getting its major refresh in 2012 or 2013?

Anywho, I was kind of thinking the 50 mpg estimate was a little lofty, but either way, as long as it gets better MPG's than the Jetta diesel it should be fine.

I applaud GM for this move, people have been asking for an American compact diesel for years, and now they will get one. Doesn't seem like it should take until 2013 to get here though, especially if they are already driving it around and such, but hey what do I know.
    I think they said Cruze is due for an update in 2013MY so something tells me the engine is the only real change other then maybe colors and small add ins for 2014. I know i'd like an american diesel compact, I looked at the Jetta and the trade off with how much the diesel costs vs kick back wouldn't be worth it. Hopefully GM will price it better. But not so much better that makes no sense in the eco model. Unless they are dropping it at that time then I feel wasted time with marketing most fuel effecient gas only car. Since it was copared to a Jetta diesel not that long ago.
    Current:
    2012 GMC Terrain AWD SLT-2 with 3.0L
    2007 Sierra 3500 Classic (dad's)x2
    2009 Chevy HHR (Moms hot rod)
    1997 Toyota Corolla (clown car, mom owns)

Past:
    1994 Ford Ranger
    1994 Ford Explorer

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    I'm not sure if e-Assist would be much benefit, since the diesel doesn't need any more more load-end torque. Adding the LaCrosse e-Assist to the 2.0 diesel Cruze would give you combined numbers something like 160 hp and 310 ft-lb of torque...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

This is great news and I look forward to seeing the Cruze with a diesel powertrain. Now, if GM can make a wagon version with the diesel I'd be extremely pleased.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 GMFAN85's Avatar
    Thanks

Akerson is an idiot for saying that the US is getting the Cruze diesel. Everyone knows that a smart CEO waits until the last minute, or when interest in a diesel variant of one of your most popular vehicles becomes non-existent, or several months after your competitors announce theirs first.

None of this first domestic manufacturer offering a compact diesel car in the US crap. Chevy should be last not first. Everyone knows this!

Time to fire him!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    This is great news and I look forward to seeing the Cruze with a diesel powertrain. Now, if GM can make a wagon version with the diesel I'd be extremely pleased.
    If I had to pick between a Diesel sedan or gas wagon it would be the wagon first.

Icing on the cake would be Diesel wagon, AWD, SS, magna-ride, Z71, bushwackers, KC highlights, warn winches.......oh, hello nurse, is it time for my meds again?

Thanks

That profile pic of the Cruze in the article is one it best angles.

It sounds interesting, lets see how much of an increase in price the diesel adds before we get to crazy.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information