GM Inside News Forum banner

GM Calls Out Nissan Over 'Gas Powered Everything' Ad

8K views 60 replies 47 participants last post by  chevytodd 
#1 ·
GM Calls Out Nissan Over 'Gas Powered Everything' Ad

Aiming to build hype behind its all-electric Leaf, Nissan has released a new ad, imagining a world where tiny internal combustion engines power everything that currently runs on electricity. The bleak and dirty existence portrayed in the new ad spot then steps to a new level to prove Nissan’s point, showing the sullen protagonist gassing up his Chevrolet Volt. Subtle it is not.

Understandably the folks at General Motors are none-too impressed and while in most cases silent indignation would be the correct course of action, GM product and brand communications chief Jason Laird chose a 140 character or less medium with which to toss back a cleverly worded barb.

“A carmaker poking gentle fun at our product ignores towtrucks they need and rental cars they recommend as backup to their product,” tweeted Laird, hinting at the Leaf’s limited range and reports that owners would be given free rental car days to help eschew concerns over range anxiety. Ouch!

Read More...

See less See more
#2 ·

#6 ·
Although I find the Nissan Leaf commercial clever, I'm glad GM is not taking this lying down. As others on this board have asked, how many Nissan Leaf autos have had to be towed due to inability to carry their estimated charge?

I have not driven the Volt, nor have I driven the Leaf, but I would imagine the Volt offers a much better ride and handles much better. It appears to be a great alternative to the traditional family sedan.

If I had the means, I would pick one up.

#7 · (Edited)
GM would have been better off to remain silent, come with a clever tow truck ad of their own than to tweet like this. Makes them just sound annoyed and on the defensive.

Actually the ad could look like it is for a Silverado 1 Ton HD, showing what an excellent work truck it makes...and oh, by the way, there just happens to be Leaf on the hook of a tow truck version in the last 3 secs of the ad.

Anyway it looks like "game on"...and Leaf happens to be short of "reserves".
Can't seem to cross the finish line.

#8 ·
GM would have been better off to remain silent, come with a clever tow truck ad of their own than to tweet like this. Makes them just sound annoyed and on the defensive.

Actually the ad could look like it is for a Silverado 1 Ton HD, showing what an excellent work truck it makes...and oh, by the way, there iust happens to be Leaf on the hook of a tow truck version in the last 3 secs of the ad.

Anyway it looks like "game on"...and Leaf happens to be short of "reserves".
Can't seem to cross the finish line.
You don't combat the ad for a "green" car by showing a pickup truck.

#15 · (Edited)
How about an ad doing the exact opposite:

-a tv that cuts out in the final seconds of a hockey game
-a microwave that stops midway through popcorn
-a bbq that runs out midway through a steak at a family bbq
-someone jumping into a swimming pool that is nearly empty with a dripping hose hanging over the edge
-then, show a "generic five door hatchback" at the side of the road in the middle of Nevada with a fat family and all their luggage as a tow truck pulls up. The wife throws the bundled up extension cord at the husband, huffs, and walks away mad towards the tow truck.
-a volt passes by
-cut to the screen inside the volt. show it running out of electricity, then switching to gas, show the 'battery life' charge to full. back to battery
-cut to an outside rear view of the volt as it speeds off into the sunset:
-"Volt: Innovation without limits"

#20 ·
I emailed the president at Starcom Mediavest Group's Detroit office in regards to that idea (above), plus a follow up ad:

As a follow-up to this ad (as Nissan will no doubt reply with an ad of their own):

-the crack of a bat, a baseball runner running around third to home, stops, runs back to third and stays while the base coach continues to wave him home
-a space shuttle launches. Voiceover about the first moon landing since the sixtys. shuttle breaks out of the earths pull and turns around. shot of mission control looking confused.
- a WWII bunker. A commander telling his troops to 'go go go! We have the enemy on the run". troops get up and go the other way.
-a tour de France cyclist. voiceover talking about the cyclists courageous journey overcoming cancer. cyclist slams on his breaks just feet from the finish line and turns around. The other cyclists pass him and cross the line.
-"Chevy volt: Innovation without Anxiety"

#21 ·
BTW, the "Innovation" tagline i keep using is because thats what the Leaf's tagline is, so its a direct jab at the Leaf.

#25 · (Edited)
OoOoOoOoooOOO! I got an idea! How about a Disney 'CARS' tie in?!?!?

(Mad MS Paintshop skills right here folks, lol!)

#27 ·
GM could play up the range extender during playoff season. Have four guys screaming about the fact their team won. Then show that he has tickets to the next game, but it's 150 miles away. They look out at the Leaf and look despondent. Then one of the guys points to his Volt and they all start going stupid again. They can just end the commercial with:

"Electric without the limitations."

#35 ·
How about an ad doing the exact opposite:

-a tv that cuts out in the final seconds of a hockey game
-a microwave that stops midway through popcorn
-a bbq that runs out midway through a steak at a family bbq
-someone jumping into a swimming pool that is nearly empty with a dripping hose hanging over the edge
-then, show a "generic five door hatchback" at the side of the road in the middle of Nevada with a fat family and all their luggage as a tow truck pulls up. The wife throws the bundled up extension cord at the husband, huffs, and walks away mad towards the tow truck.
-a volt passes by
-cut to the screen inside the volt. show it running out of electricity, then switching to gas, show the 'battery life' charge to full. back to battery
-cut to an outside rear view of the volt as it speeds off into the sunset:
-"Volt: Innovation without limits"
Man, that's pretty good! :cool:

#36 ·
Screen up:

Its the last part of the Leaf commercial. Suddenly we realize it is being viewed by a toddler in a car seat watching the optional DVD. We begin to recognize it is the back seat of the very Volt the Leaf commercial is poking fun at.

The Volt owner finishes topping off his tank, gets in his car looks back at his toddler, smiles and heads out down the road......

Camera takes a wide angle following from behind the Volt allowing the viewer to see the same Leaf on the side of the road as it is being hooked up to a tow truck.

The Volt driver glances in his rear view mirror to see his toddler fast asleep and once again smiles.

Commentator comes on:

"Some times a little gas is good........" Fade to black.

Tagline: Chevy Volt the first car ever that can run on total electric when you want and gas when you need.

#40 ·
Hmmm I dont understand what is green about calling a tow truck to pick up your car and most likely calling a friend or rental company to give you a ride to your rental car? So that means I involve atleast 3 cars that aren't Hybrids or EV. I live in PHX and the heat here is known to kill batteries! Does that mean if I buy a Leaf I should call a cab to pick me up at five? because my car will be dead or will most likely die in rush hour traffic?

#43 ·
My idea for a Leaf vs. Volt ad

The whole ad would be a split screen
Start with both cars being unplugged after juicing up
Then they both drive off for a road trip at the same time
Time lapse video kicks in showing both the time and miles driven for each car
Sooner or later the Leaf will have to pull over. Along with the miles and time show "Out of electricity" while the Volt mileage and time keep going and going.
And the end the Volt drives by the stranded Leaf with the mileage counter continuing to turn over.

#44 · (Edited)
The only joke here is the Nissan Leaf. Instead of spending money on ads to jab at the Volt, Nissan would be better off trying to solve their bigger problems like range anxiety and unsatisfied, stranded Leaf owners. Really, these two vehicles should stop being compared because the Volt is just flat out a FAR superior product in ALL respects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.