GM 4-Cylinder Engine Shortage Means Up To $1000 For V6 Buyers

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM 4-Cylinder Engine Shortage Means Up To $1000 For V6 Buyers

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

GM 4-Cylinder Engine Shortage Means Up To $1000 For V6 Buyers

Automotive News

March 12, 2012

Article Quotes:

DETROIT -- General Motors is scrambling to increase availability of popular Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain crossovers with four-cylinder engines.

For two months, tight supplies of the 2.4-liter four-cylinder versions have forced GM to restrict dealer orders for those vehicles, which account for the vast majority of Equinox and Terrain sales. That has many dealers ordering more 3.0-liter V-6 models than they would like in the face of sharply rising fuel prices.

GM spokesman Jim Cain confirmed that there are "temporary order limits" in place on four-banger versions of the Equinox and Terrain.

"It's a function of a strong industry, a hot vehicle and very robust demand for the four-cylinder model," Cain wrote in an e-mail. "We're working with our suppliers to increase deliveries of key components" to meet demand.

GM has told dealers that the supply constraints are temporary but it hasn't said when it expects the issue to be resolved, Cain said. Four-cylinder models accounted for 79 percent of Equinox and Terrain sales in February, down from 87 percent during all of 2011, Cain said.

Many dealers say the V-6 models have gotten tougher to move in recent weeks as gasoline prices have risen. The U.S. average for regular gasoline rose to $3.79 a gallon last week, up 20 cents from two weeks earlier, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

"I cringe when I have to order a six," says Eduart Lela, general sales manager at Herb Chambers Chevrolet Cadillac in Danvers, Mass.

On a recent order, GM required Lela to take V-6 engines on three of the eight Equinox crossovers he requested. He would have preferred all four-cylinders.

In recent weeks, GM has offered $1,000 in dealer cash on V-6 models to lift sales. It's not offering any dealer cash on the four-cylinder versions.

Complete article at link. Subscription required.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Re: GM 4-Cylinder Engine Shortage Means Up To $1000 For V6 Buyers

Current DEALER* Incentives:

2012 Chevrolet Malibu V6: $1000
    2012 Chevrolet Equinox V6: $1000
    2012 GMC Terrain V6: $1000

*Dealer incentives are paid by the manufacturer to the automotive retailer, and may, or may not be passed on the the consumer.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Wonder what it is that makes a 4 cylinder hard to come by.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    Wonder what it is that makes a 4 cylinder hard to come by.
    One would presume with the same DI 2.4L now offered in not only the Equinox/Terrain, but the Regal, the new Verano, and e-assisted versions of it in the Lacrosse and new Malibu, having more vehicles produced with the same powertrain means the supply of each is having a little trouble syncing. More and more 2.4L vehicles make it tougher to produce them all.

Kind of answers why for months now it seems there are more and more 2012 3.0L Theta's on lots and on the road, just producing more. Have it in our family's 2011 and is great. Now it's just free with the $1000 dealer cash.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 majicbz07's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

Will the new 2.5L make it into the Theta's at some point, it woud be a nice engine in their and would probably be the most powerful base engine in the class.

Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Malibu LT2 V6

I'd be happy to take a V6 for $1K off

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

There are several reasons why the 2.4 SIDI engine is supply limited. With fuel prices increasing demand for the more fuel efficent 2.4 has increased. Secondly, The 2.4 is scheduled to be replaced this summer with the new 2.5 litre Family II engine, that has reduced the total production capacity due to line revisions needed to produce the new 2.5 and 2.0 turbo fours. Finally the economic downturn and uncertianty has led buyers to be more aware and senesitive of vehicle cost, which has reduced the consumer demand for 6 cylinder engines. The production constraints will ease as the revamped production lines come on line for the new Family II engines this summer. For a period of time we will see both the 2.4 and the 2.5 produced concurrently. With the advancement in "Power Density" that we are seeing in modern 4 cylinder engines the V6 will become an up market selection and command a much smaller market share.
    Last edited by Ppmammp; 03-12-2012 at 09:10 AM.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar XP300's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caddycruiser View Post
    Kind of answers why for months now it seems there are more and more 2012 3.0L Theta's on lots and on the road, just producing more. Have it in our family's 2011 and is great. Now it's just free with the $1000 dealer cash.
    Last summer, I test drove an Equinox with the 4 banger and another with the 3.0L. I tend to drive a little more agressively and enjoyed the 3.0L much more than the 4 banger. My dreams of an Acadia vanished when one of my step-sons lost his job and his house, so an Equinox or Terrain will probably be my next driver late this summer. Hope the extra $1000 bonus is still available at that time.
    -
    The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) released a new survey today, apparently 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

The V6 in the Thetas needs to be replaced with a turbo 2.0L. I'm guessing that won't happen until the next generation though (2015? 2016?)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 PontiacBixler's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/bymod..._Terrain.shtml

$1000 is a deal!
    According to the chart on the page, the average increase of fuel of a V6 over the 4 cylinder is on average ~$600 annually.

I would much rather have the power.
    What is happening to the GM that grew up with for these many decades? If I could I would institute a hostile take over and kick the entire board and executives out and fill the positions with creative minds under the age of 35.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

I suspect there are more people like my wife. She wouldn't consider a 4 cylinder based on her past experiences with them. I finally convinced her to try one and she was surprised as it ran better than her V6. I bought it and it gets 10-12 MPH more than her V6 and has more power. The 4 works very well in vehicles under 3,500 lbs.

Thanks

Never thought I'd see the day when a manufacturer would PAY YOU to take the premium engine choice.
    2014 Silverado 4x4 LTZ

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

2 ways to look at this, the four cyclinder is great or the V6 is a turd. Sounds like time for a better V6. It failed in the SRX too. If the I4 gives 32 hwy, the V6 should get at least 28 mpg imho.

They could market the $1,000 cash back better by saying free gas for a year, which only costs about $1200 but sounds a lot more sexy, particularly when gas is already $4/gal here in IL, and will probably be at least $5/gal by summer.

Thanks

The V6 does suck, but lets be honest its that 32mpg hwy rating that's alluring buyers. The 3.6L wouldn't fix that.
    2014 Silverado 4x4 LTZ

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 espo19047's Avatar
    Thanks

As a salesman I would like to sell it to you because GM gives us a $150 spiff for selling an Equinox with a 6 cyl.
    Visit the Biggest Showroom on Planet Earth:
    http://www.reedmantoll.com/index.htm

Visit me: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3ttrj/s...rgerchevrolet/

See a one minute tour of Reedman-Toll:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l8BVMygDZ8

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information