First Test: 2015 Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon Denali XL

12K views 71 replies 34 participants last post by  b4z 
#1 ·
Buy It by the Foot
MotorTrend
April 2, 2014
By: Michael Febbo
Photography: Michael Shaffer

If I'm anything, I'm realistic. Spending a week driving two of the biggest vehicles on the road reminded me that some cars sell themselves. What I mean by that is that SUVs such as the 2015 Chevrolet Suburban and 2015 GMC Yukon XL will sell regardless of what people like me say about them. Customers want these capable 3-ton giants to haul around a few kids and associated gear for reasons beyond my comprehension. So let me saveyou some time. Are these better than the previous generation of GM SUVs? Yes. Without question, the interiors are a huge step up, they look more intimidating, and they get slightly better gas mileage. There you have it -- stop reading and go buy one.

Full article at link.

See less See more
#17 ·
I can only pray that after the newness wears off GM will have some serious cash on the hood. Only way I'll be able to buy one that isn't "basic."

#26 ·
Base pricing on the competition

Audi Q7: $47,700
Porsche Cayenne: $50,595
BMW X5: $52,800
Mercedes GL $63,000
Infiniti QX80: $62,550
Range Rover Sport: $63,525
Cadillac Escalade: $71,695
Range Rover: $84,225

While the new Escalade is Gorgeous, (and yes Ive seen it, touched it, driven it) it is not worth $10K more than much more advanced Euro Luxury SUV's....Im sorry but unless I need an Escalade ESV the competitition is just as nice if not nicer than the 15 Escalade and the price premium is tough to justify.

Reactions: Edge and sfbreh
#24 ·
I can understand $45K for one of these, but $80K? Wow.

They didn't sound that impressed either...

"It might sound like we are a little bit down on the giant GM twins, and honestly, we are. We know it is considerably cheaper for GM to build these with shared truck parts, but when they don't have the associated advantages, what value is that to the consumer? The prices have increased to a point where they are competing with the luxury SUVs of the world, and yet they don't have the refinement or features. Do we think anyone will cross-shop a Suburban or Yukon with a Mercedes, BMW, or Range Rover? Probably not. Ford is really the only manufacturer that challenges GM in terms of size, and Ford wins in towing capacity. If your argument is that you don't intend to tow or go off-road -- it's estimated conservatively that 85 percent of SUV owners don't -- then you might be better off looking a different type of vehicle entirely."

#34 ·
I agree with the price point(especially on the Chevy) being somewhat high but when you adjust for inflation and added content it's really not that far out. Otherwise I thought the article was actually pretty bad.
I really don't think people understand that you can go out looking for a Honda Pilot and price it for $46,000. A Honda Civic is can go for as much as $30,000. Why does cheap pricing expectation only apply to domestic makes?

#31 ·
Looks are subjective. BUT!!!!! If someone is dropping $60-$70K on a vehicle they have the right to dismiss it based upon a visual flaw.

#30 ·
Good luck getting a GL at that price. The low starting price is for a diesel that nobody buys.

A GL450, which is the Escalade's main competitor, starts at almost $65,000. For $65,000, you get MB-Tex and halogen headlamps. So when equipped like the Escalade, it costs nearly the same, if not more.

#36 ·
If people don't like the design, they don't like the design. Frankly, I will go for the Yukon. The Tahoe/Suburban didn't change enough from the 900's in terms of design and the headlights also don't help it.
Count me in. The Tahoe is awful. No class or sophistication at all. I've bought the last 2 models and won't be buying this. Before, the Tahoe was the best looking of them all. Not anymore. It looks ridiculous with those headlights. No high end interior either. :(

#40 ·
Good for GM, someone needs to keep the segment alive and thriving. I will agree that the styling is a mixed bag.

Tahoe/Suburban: I'm not a fan of the grille or the headlights.

Yukon: A little better.

Escalade: The best looking of the bunch.

GM should change the profile of the Escalade, it's the same as on the Chevy and GMC.

#45 ·
Worst review form MT in a long while. The fact that they kept bringing up a base model MB GL is pathetic. Option these similarly and see how they stack up. Even the 3-row MB doesn't compare in people and cargo space. The Suburban/Yukon XL and Escalade ESV are road trip kings. Have never been in anything better from any manufacturer. They are for a target wealthy client base and meet the need perfectly. Love them!!!

Reactions: Chris97k1500
#49 ·
GM did what they needed to do with this thing. Actually, they didn't. They could have kept building it as is for another decade and it'd have continued to sell. But they addressed all the glaring weak points and made an unquestionably better vehicle. The front of the Chevy is absolutely hideous, but that's subjective.

As for the article, in all honesty, I think it's right on the money. It's not there's anything 'wrong' with these vehicles, I just fail to see how the average owner can justify purchasing one. Nearly every time I see one, there's 2 kids in the back, max. A lot of times it's just some middle-age woman steadily veering around because she's too distracted by trying to put on makeup, talk on the phone, or by the toy poodle in her lap. The instances where these vehicles offer a tangible advantage over other vehicles for the average buyer is rare. I'll chalk this one up to just being a 'Murican thing.

#53 ·
Pictures do these trucks no justice. The Yukon Denali looks just as good if not better than the Slade. Exterior wise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.