GM Inside News Forum banner

First Test: 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 4WD Crew Cab

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  maxaccel 
#1 ·
By Christian Seabaugh | Photos By Jessica Walker | November 20, 2014

Aluminum. Diesel. Coil springs. Air suspension. Turbochargers. These are all things that both the 2015 Ford F-150 and 2015 Ram 1500 have but the 2015 Chevrolet Silverado lacks. Truck buyers are a traditional bunch, though, so the question is, does any of that really matter? With the Silverado and its Sierra cousin the last truly traditional half-ton pickups on the market, we thought we'd find out if all that whiz-bang, attention-grabbing tech that its rivals have is worth the hype, so we rounded up a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ and hit the test track.
More on Motortrend.com:
2015 Chevrolet Silverado Adds Rally Edition Appearance Package
Our Silverado tester's Ecotec3 5.3-liter V-8 is Chevy's answer to the turbocharged power of Ford's EcoBoost and Ram's EcoDiesel engines. The Silverado's 5.3-liter V-8, which makes 355 hp and 383 lb-ft of torque, is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission and a two-speed, four-wheel-drive transfer case. 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ltz Z71 Front Three Quarter Although more powerful than Ford's new 325-hp 2.7-liter twin-turbo EcoBoost V-6, the Silverado certainly doesn't feel it. While the 2015 F-150 SuperCab we recently tested with the little EcoBoost mill scooted from 0-60 mph in 6.5 seconds, our Silverado tester needed 6.9 seconds to hit the same speed. Our recent F-150 Platinum SuperCrew, which was equipped with the larger 365-hp 3.5-liter twin-turbo V-6, was also quicker to 60 mph than the Chevy, hitting the mark in 6.4 seconds. The Ram 1500 bookends the Silverado's numbers: The 240-hp 3.0-liter turbodiesel V-6 EcoDiesel model needs 8.8 seconds to hit 60 mph, and models equipped with the 395-hp 5.7-liter V-8 Hemi need 6.8 seconds. When it comes to dragstrip performance, the Silverado turned a 15.4-second time with an 89.8 mph trap speed. The Silverado's 60-0 stop took 127 feet. When it comes to handling performance, our 2015 Silverado 1500 tester lapped the figure eight in 28.0 seconds at 0.75g average and pulled 0.77g average on the skidpad.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...tz_z71_4wd_crew_cab_first_test/#ixzz3JfXGZSq2

See less See more
#3 ·
This is BS there seems to be a notion if exoctic materials (carbon fibre, Aluminum(Full SKin) etc) then a vehicle is not a huge step forward. GM has had the lightest pickup for a decade. They just created the most sophiscated small block V8 ever with technical papers written and published about the cylinder heads. It has the most technology and USB ports and is a mobile office. It has a 6 spd tranny that has been tested and is good. We know the 9/10 speeds are coming from the joint venture with Ford. This is a performance car reviewer who does not understand the virtues of a working man's truck. He had no business reviewing it. Also GM has some crazy steel mixtures and 4G LTE hotspots in the pipe. This is the working mans truck. You want a truck that is fast and luxurious you are not Chevy's customer. GMC is there for a reason. So they can take this review and stuff it. GM is going to gain market share because replacing aluminium is going to be expensive. Dealers need training. A new small displacement V6 forced induced. Insurance premiums. Sorry GM is playing it right second mover strategy is sometimes effective and I think GM is doing this well.

#4 ·
$54K for a decked out 1/2 ton? That is nuts. My 2007.5 LTZ Crew Cab 3500 dually 4x4 MSRP'd for that back in the day and I paid well less than sticker when it was all said and done. They will be miles ahead if they can figure out a correct pricing strategy. No one needs to pay that much for a 1/2 ton truck I don't care if it is an LTZ.

#8 · (Edited)
By Christian Seabaugh | Photos By Jessica Walker | November 20, 2014

Aluminum. Diesel. Coil springs. Air suspension. Turbochargers. These are all things that both the 2015 Ford F-150 and 2015 Ram 1500 have but the 2015 Chevrolet Silverado lacks. Truck buyers are a traditional bunch, though, so the question is, does any of that really matter?/url]
Aluminum will corrode in salty environment and when near other dissimilar metals or near battery's acidic fumes,,
while its lighter I'd love to see Fords trucks crash test to prove whether it's actualy better ie stronger,,let us know when that happens.

Diesel fuel cost more and so does diesel engine option,so unless you drive 100K a year puling heavy loads I doubt You'll save over gas engine..also in winter you'll need to wait very long time for engine to warm up and keep it idling so more waste of fuel..

Turbos are unecesary,unless you drive in high altitudes.How reliable are those in a long run is questionable, I wouldn't want turbos as you need.to use more expensive fully synthetic oil
Btw
I have 4.8 v8 and driving thru the Rockies had no problems at all flying at very high speed even w a truck camper on it.

Anyone who buys a truck for work doesn't care about drag racing,if they do they will always mod it accordingly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.