First Look: C7 Corvette TR6070 Transmission

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Look: C7 Corvette TR6070 Transmission

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

First Look: C7 Corvette TR6070 Transmission

GM High Tech Performance

Pulling through the gears under wide-open throttle is an awe inspiring, adrenaline releasing experience for just about every performance-loving guy, or gal. However, drivers and vehicles alike have limited capabilities thanks to the technology transferring the drivetrain power all the way down to the ground, known as the transmission. From automatics to manuals, and even the paddle-shifted hybrid boxes, the standard rowing equipment has been vastly altered as technology advances. Hell, four-speeds are almost extinct. Each year more efficient transmission platforms are introduced. Following suit this year, the 2014 Corvette Stingray has once again extended the bar, or the gears for that matter, making seven-speeds the new standard ‘Vette platform. The technologically advanced tranny by Tremec, dubbed the TR6070, will easily accommodate GM’s new 6.2-liter small-block LT1, boasting 460 horsepower and 465 pound-feet of torque in its most potent form.

7 Speed Shifter
    The successful partnership between Tremec and GM is evident in the products produced and implemented in past vehicle lineups. The additional seventh gear brings along some added bonuses, but is it completely worth the extra shift? Why not just use a six-speed transmission, like the successful and strong TR6060 found in the C6 Z06? Well, it appears that GM has decided to incorporate a new seven-speed for a number of reasons, just as many other automakers have. For instance, the new C7 Corvette will benefit from increased gas millage, while still maintaining a competitive zero-to-sixty time of 3.8 seconds (Z51 Package). Thanks to perfect ratios for acceleration and a seventh gear for cruising, the ‘Vette can still do a quarter-mile in a quick twelve seconds flat while knocking down over 26 miles per gallon. With gas prices rising and never looking back, added miles between fill-ups is a welcomed benefit, especially when speaking of a high-performance sports car. However, simply getting better gas mileage isn’t convincing enough. The TR6060 was a capable transmission. What makes the TR6070 better than the TR6060?

Read more: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...#ixzz2ak1g0WNK
    Coming soon to a car performance car near you......

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: First Look: C7 Corvette TR6070 Transmission

The C7 delivered on the manual but the real question is where is the 8 speed auto?

GM hasn't said a peep about the auto in the C7 right now for a reason. None of the Corvette’s competition utilizes a 6 speed anymore. The Corvette is probably the last world class sports car to still use one. GM is clearly trying to avoid drawing attention to that.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyLac10 View Post
    The C7 delivered on the manual but the real question is where is the 8 speed auto?

GM hasn't said a peep about the auto in the C7 right now for a reason. None of the Corvette’s competition utilizes a 6 speed anymore. The Corvette is probably the last world class sports car to still use one. GM is clearly trying to avoid drawing attention to that.
    In due time. Even with the 6 speed, the C7 is competitive if not class leading.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar LetsRace's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

The only thing I don't like is the 6 speed auto. It should have an 8 speed or a dual clutch but either way the stingray is a great car and I love it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

None of the Corvette's competition uses a pushrod V8 or comes un under $80,000, either.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LetsRace View Post
    The only thing I don't like is the 6 speed auto. It should have an 8 speed or a dual clutch but either way the stingray is a great car and I love it.
    Best solution is to learn how to drive a manual

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    None of the Corvette's competition uses a pushrod V8 or comes un under $80,000, either.
    The C7 is amazing but cost really has nothing to do with the transmission. Porsche offers PDK as an option in Carerra S for a little over 4K. GM could easily put a DCT in the C7 while keeping the price well below 60K. It's not like the price would jump to 100K just because it has a DCT.

We know the C7 won't get a DCT and the 8 speed is planned for it which is great but cost is not the issue.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 824 Posts

I hope GM releases a performance DCT at some point...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    When Porsche was asked why they dropped the manual in the GT3, which we all know is the quint essential race car for the road, they replied that everyone at Porsche loves to drive manuals but they love to be the fastest even more. The C6R uses paddles for a reason.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

A lot of people(me included) live in areas that have a lot of traffic so a manual is off the cards. I'm sure that if GM offers a proper DCT for the Corvette people will pay more to have it. Corvette is like the 911 in that a lot of people use them as daily drivers and obviously the auto is default choice. The new Z06 and ZR1 should have a proper DCT to make them even faster but only time will tell.

Thanks

There's a lot of inference going on here... I lived happily with the 6 speed manual of my LS2 GTO when I lived in DC. It boils down to one being a die hard or just a fan (see, I'm inferring, too ).

Anyway, there are times that I wonder the point of certain things, and the entire "how many gears does your tranny have?" debate is becoming one of those. I'm all for progress and new technology, but not just to say they're playing catch up or attempting to fit in with everyone else. If people are buying the Corvette based on it have 7 speeds or 6 (or 8 speeds or 6) means they're not interested in the car for its true intent.

Just my haughty opinion, though.
    Current: '08 G8 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'02 Camaro SS
    Past: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'05 GTO|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z

www.fquick.com/demonspeed

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LetsRace View Post
    A lot of people(me included) live in areas that have a lot of traffic so a manual is off the cards. I'm sure that if GM offers a proper DCT for the Corvette people will pay more to have it. Corvette is like the 911 in that a lot of people use them as daily drivers and obviously the auto is default choice. The new Z06 and ZR1 should have a proper DCT to make them even faster but only time will tell.
    I think its more of a patience thing. I've lived in high traffic cities too. ATL & Raleigh. And I have and still drive my 6MT A5 as my daily driver. AWD + a manual is a pain in the but for smooth starts.

And yes I do recognize that an automatic is faster, but its not even close to the same level of interaction and bond as a manual.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

I think its more of a patience thing. I've lived in high traffic cities too. ATL & Raleigh. And I have and still drive my 6MT A5 as my daily driver. AWD + a manual is a pain in the but for smooth starts.

And yes I do recognize that an automatic is faster, but its not even close to the same level of interaction and bond as a manual.
    Is it possible to live with a manual car in heavy traffic? Absolutely but I'm not a guy that says my car must be manual or nothing so I prefer the auto. You are totally right about the bond thing and if you have a daily driver and the corvette is your weekend toy then the manual is the way to go. But if you use your corvette for everything then a DCT would be the best of both worlds and if i were in the market for a Vette and I had to pick between a manual and a DCT I would get the auto any day of the week. The same thing for a 911( or any Porsche for that matter) I would get the PDK over the manual. BTW this is my personal opinion and I respect every person here who prefers the manuals.

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    GM is technology ressistant

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    According to this, GM is looking into a torque converter DCT, which would be a game changer. All the efficiency and lightening fast shifts of a DCT combined with the NVH characteristics of a torque converter. One can only dream.

http://www.technologytell.com/in-car...-tranmissions/

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information