Edmunds Reports 2014 Chevy SUV Coming Based On New Colorado Platform - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Edmunds Reports 2014 Chevy SUV Coming Based On New Colorado Platform

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,622 Times in 372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Edmunds Reports 2014 Chevy SUV Coming Based On New Colorado Platform

Quote Originally Posted by V8GMT360 Guy View Post
    Any idea what market this IS meant for?
    Asia and South America.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Oh it's a Chevrolet SUV, but not for GMNA. Edmunds has apparently forgotten that GM is a global company with a global R&D network. And GMNA just happens to be the global arm with the most BOF experience.

As one of my sources put it...there is a better chance of Rick Wagoner coming back to GM than GM building another BOF midsize SUV for GMNA.
    Man, I wish you are wrong; but I have strong suspicion you are not wrong..

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Oh it's a Chevrolet SUV, but not for GMNA. Edmunds has apparently forgotten that GM is a global company with a global R&D network. And GMNA just happens to be the global arm with the most BOF experience.

As one of my sources put it...there is a better chance of Rick Wagoner coming back to GM than GM building another BOF midsize SUV for GMNA.
    Thanks NSAP. Too bad Chevy won't get a smaller BOF SUV in North America. I realize the mid size or smaller BOF SUV market is a niche (4Runner, and Xterra) but why shouldn't GM sell a product they are already developing in North America?

Editor
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Thanks NSAP. Too bad Chevy won't get a smaller BOF SUV in North America. I realize the mid size or smaller BOF SUV market is a niche (4Runner, and Xterra) but why shouldn't GM sell a product they are already developing in North America?
    To be honest, I doubt it would be suitable for NA. Plus it would just be another product to have a negative impact on their CAFE. Give me the SS Sedan instead.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Reaction from North Americans to the new Colorado was very mixed - this is it's platform twin, so you can presume under the camo it looks very similar. Which means most North Americans might go 'yuck'. And like NSAP says, you hardly need more SUVs. We do to battle Toyota.

And while these protos appear in North America (so do Holdens you are never going to get) it does not follow they are for that market.

American-based engineers, and American ex-pats work with counterparts from around the world, including countries that will never see a particular product. Holden engineers work 2/3s of the time on GM product that will never touch ground in Australia, like Lacrosse, Regal and other GM NA vehicles. Camaro is just the most obvious example. Orlando, Sonic and Cruze hatch are other recent developments with significant input from multiple countries.

Malibu should be another example of GM resources from around the planet producing a better product than any individual team could by itself. And one that should tick more boxes in more markets than one developed for one continent only.

This SUV (named Jackaroo, probably) is to match the new Colorado in our market. We don't have fullsize trucks to compete with it, these are the biggest selling light commercials and it's a cutthroat segment.

Holden owns a significant interest in the Thai GM plant on behalf of GM; it is where the current old, Isuzu D-Max based Colorado is assembled. For a while our Captivas came from there. So you can assume a lot of time is spent by some of Holden's several hundred engineers there.
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 03-31-2011 at 08:03 PM.
    • Barbados Series III CV8 'VT Coupe'
    • 245kW LS1
    • T56 six-speed manual
    • GTO PBR 320mm brakes/DBA 4000 vented discs
    • HSV GTO Wheels

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Asia and South America.
    "You're killin' me smalls."

Thanks

I really want this to be true, but I am not going to hold my breath. I LOVED my 1997 Blazer, for the same reasons others have mentioned they loved their Blazers: the just-right size, the power and the durability. I would buy one in a heartbeat, but I get the feeling that this SUV will only be for Asia and South America. I am still surprised that GM giving us the new Colorado. We can all dream it is true though!
    current 07 Ford Five Hundred Limited FWD/Silver Birch former 05 Chev Silverado 1500 Z71 HO/Dark Gray, 06 Ford Five Hundred LTD FWD/Dark Shadow Gray, 03 Chev Avalanche Z71 LT WBH/Black, 04 Chev Silverado 1500 Z71 LS/Black, 00 Chev Silverado 1500 Z71 LS/Pewter, 97 Chev Blazer LS 4-DR 4x4/Black

it's complicated but BUY AMERICAN
    FWD Car/Crossover Advocate

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

That's harsh.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

To be honest, I doubt it would be suitable for NA. Plus it would just be another product to have a negative impact on their CAFE. Give me the SS Sedan instead.
    What if they put a supercharged 6.2 in this Jackaroo? With 4WD? WHAT THEN?
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

News Contributor Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 885 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS Premium 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by TuffG929 View Post
    It's 2014 model year at the earliest, barring any Cruze like shenanigans on GM's part.

Shenanigans is one of my favorite words ever made! By the way, why does the Cruze have cloth on the dashboard?

Quote Originally Posted by V8GMT360 Guy View Post
    Red Ink Rick vs. Coke Can Dan.... I'll put my money on Rick

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbjiKIKzY3c[/ame]

Make a BOF SUV the Atlas straight 6 with dual VVT and direct injection, and I'll be first in line! Base engine should be a 3.6 LFX V6 with 325 HP 280 TQ, larger engine option should be the Atlas I6 with DI and Dual VVT. Power output should be around 390 HP and 365 TQ. For an SS version, twin turbo that sucker! 600 HP 600 TQ
    Current:

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Past:

2013 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection -> LEMON

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Rick Wagoner makes it a remote possibility.

Had they said Roger Smith it would been iffy.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Only way GM will bring this to the U.S. is as a GMC Jimmy with something like a base Turbo gas 4 with eAssist to bump up combined MPG with optional Turbo-Diesel and maybe (but doubtfully) a Gen V V8 top option. And the only brand GM has that can offer a vehicle that will cost what it will take to put those powertrains into a truly off-road ready SUV is GMC.

GMC has the design freedom to make it what they want and the high income customer base to buy them. It would allow GM to make money on the low volume it would sell without messing up CAFE while spreading development costs to what will be one of the vehicles higher volume global markets.

Build it in Mexico or Brazil since it will be sold in South America and GM has a H3 replacement that gets the MPG the original U.S. model never did with the eAssist option that can be spread accross the line with the option of 120V output with decent Amp rating that can power a variety of power tools, lighting, etc. in off-road conditions.

GM will make money and keep its foot in this important niche market.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

I respectfully disagree.
    Boo!
    Want.

.gone
    Following the band.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

I also prefer a RWD SS sedan. Of course I want GM to deliver on this 'insider' rumor.

Editor
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    I also prefer a RWD SS sedan. Of course I want GM to deliver on this 'insider' rumor.
    From what I have heard with regards to GM's internal response to my SS Sedan article. I'd say I hit a nerve.

E-Mail Me

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information