Detailed HD Truck Comparison (VIDEOS)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detailed HD Truck Comparison (VIDEOS)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PistonsFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Detailed HD Truck Comparison (VIDEOS)

Video: GM produces HD pickup truck comparison tests
    http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/05/v...sts/2#comments

M hired independent testers from AMCI to once again put up the Silverado HD against the Ford Super Duty, and this time the Ram HD was also invited along. Naturally, GM recorded the whole thing. The three trucks battled it out with a pair of 0-60 competitions, including one with a 1,500-pound payload, and again on a seven-percent grade with a 3,000-pound payload. That's only the beginning, as the three trucks duked it out for supremacy in trailer sag, frame rigidity, passing power and braking. Since GM is broadcasting all seven competitions with a glut of Youtube videos, you can probably guess which truck reigns supreme. Still, the videos are entertaining and they're hosted by the one and only Howie Long.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/05/v...sts/2#comments

Last edited by PistonsFan; 04-06-2011 at 04:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

Re: Detailed HD Truck Comparison (VIDEOS)

Best HD trucks on the market IMO, the only problem I have with the GM HD's is their interior..And that's pretty damn good for a truck... I hope the GM half tons gets these kind of upgrades and more.
    "What about that "best all-around subcompact car" business? Yeah, we're gonna say it: The Chevy Sonic – manual or auto – is just that. You heard it, Fiesta fanatics"

-Inside line.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

I still hope GM is thinking 2 steps ahead on this one because they're still the underdog in this segment. The frame test was very impressive! I applaud them for stepping up their game.. However, why was Ram left out? Was it just as good as the Chevy so they didn't bother to show it? They included Ram in the passing test where it lost badly. What happens when Ram gets more power? They already have fresher interiors and designs.. And more importantly, they have a solid front axle and a tucked up frame. What about the Super Duty? Trucks are what Ford does best and make the big money on. Don't think for a second Ford isn't working hard on a new frame. Then what? Ford also has a solid front axle and tucked up frame for better off road capability just like the Ram... Chevy will then go to the back of the pack once again.

Chevrolet should makes some good sales right now while they can because the competition is going to strike back hard I assure you. Where are the off road capability & comparison videos?? I guess GM didn't want folks to see that. I'll bet Ford and Ram will be making those videos for us shortly.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 kneedragger's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey guy
    Thanks guy
    Whatcha doing guy
    guy guy guy...

Anyone else find it annoying that howie keeps calling that one guy, guy?

Anyway! So glad GM didn't just sit by and keep taking shots from Ford with their videos and that GM finally decided to make their own. I love competition I think the new HD twins from GM are fan-freaking-tastic! I can't believe the tailgate popped when they were doing the frame strength test. That was nuts! GM has come to play! You're turn Ford!

I dont buy the pulling power test at all though. The Ford was basically on par with the dodge in that video. PUTC tested the old power rating Ford against the new HD twins and the F350 had near equal pulling power up a 7% grade with a 12,000# trailer. Both GM/Ford obliterated dodge in the test so this one comes as a surprise to me.
    Last edited by kneedragger; 04-06-2011 at 10:15 AM.
    IMPORTED FROM DETROIT

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger View Post
    I dont buy the pulling power test at all though. The Ford was basically on par with the dodge in that video. PUTC tested the old power rating Ford against the new HD twins and the F350 had near equal pulling power up a 7% grade with a 12,000# trailer. Both GM/Ford obliterated dodge in the test so this one comes as a surprise to me.
    Remember the AMCI testing says that the testing was fair. This is true, the problem is it doesn't tell you if the vehicles selected were fair. For example

Towing- I'm assuming GM has an advanatage at altitude as they seem to push comparisons at altitude (I assume Ford's dual wheel turbo must have an issue with thin air). They did the DRW tests at Altitude and paid to have Pickuptrucks.com do a test at altitude, so I'm guessing there's a reason. Now on the low altitude tests, note that they use SRW trucks. Specs are never give, but I'd be willing to bet the Ford has 3.31 gears and the GM has 3.73.

Spring drop- What options were on both trucks. Does the Ford have the optional overload springs?

Also what you don't see is likely telling as well. Any bets that Dodge did better at the frame strength and therefore weren't included in the test. Same case for brake heat test.

I find with almost all manufacturer tests they'll make sure the trucks are spec'd in their favor unless they have a slam dunk win (Ecoboost Davis Dam towing video, where all had best towing gear ratio for a rare example).

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

can you believe all the jealousy from these posters. Excuses and more excuses about these head to head test results. The ford fans especially don't like these head to head tests because it shows there best in everything claim to be complete bs! Even when they bring in AMCI a independent testers that have no motive in the outcome of these tests the Ford and Dodge fans cry foul.

Well, I have news for you crybaby ford and dodge fans, Pickuptrucks.com, Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and every comparison test the GM trucks were declared the winner.
    Ford and Dodge fans don't like these results, so they try and claim the tests were rigged in GM'S favor or that GM did the tests themselves. Now, if ford had won these tests these same people would be bragging how good these tests show who makes the best truck. Face the facts ford and Dodge fans, GM makes the best Heavy Duty truck on the market today. Those are the facts and nothing but the facts so help me GOD!

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

There is always someone questioning the results of the tests. Why didn't they include Dodge in this test or that test yada yada yada. They didn't show every fricken test with every truck so that must mean the GM truck didn't win right? WRONG! Ford is GM'S main competition and Ford is the company that constantly brags about being the best in everything. So GM challenged Ford in a head to head comparison in a pulling contest and ford declined. Why? Well you'll just have to ask ford why?

So GM did several head to head comparisons with Ford and hired independent testers AMCI to verify the results. The GM trucks came out on top in every head to head comparison test no matter who was doing the testing or what magazine did the test. So to those out there that don't like these tests or want to discredit these tests and being rigged or not fair, go to pickuptrucks.com or Motor Trends test or Car and Driver and tell them there head to head comparison tests were rigged or not fair. See what kind of response you get from them. 2011 Chevy Silverado HD, Motor Trends Truck of The Year!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XCR440SP View Post
    Remember the AMCI testing says that the testing was fair. This is true, the problem is it doesn't tell you if the vehicles selected were fair. For example

Towing- I'm assuming GM has an advanatage at altitude as they seem to push comparisons at altitude (I assume Ford's dual wheel turbo must have an issue with thin air). They did the DRW tests at Altitude and paid to have Pickuptrucks.com do a test at altitude, so I'm guessing there's a reason. Now on the low altitude tests, note that they use SRW trucks. Specs are never give, but I'd be willing to bet the Ford has 3.31 gears and the GM has 3.73.

Spring drop- What options were on both trucks. Does the Ford have the optional overload springs?

Also what you don't see is likely telling as well. Any bets that Dodge did better at the frame strength and therefore weren't included in the test. Same case for brake heat test.

I find with almost all manufacturer tests they'll make sure the trucks are spec'd in their favor unless they have a slam dunk win (Ecoboost Davis Dam towing video, where all had best towing gear ratio for a rare example).

Yeah good point about the altitude thing... I didn't consider that. One thing is for certain, Dodge needs to update their HD and catch up. They are starting to get left behind.

Either way this is a good win for GM... they should have this plastered all over their website like Ford does.
    IMPORTED FROM DETROIT

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Corvette Convertible-Cruze

Ford lately has been doing a lot of bragging. This is not the first competition that the HD Silverado has beaten the Ford HD truck. Ford's defense is "hey we sell more trucks than GM". On TV I've seen Ford brag about the shutter used behind the grill ,on some of their cars making you think they invented it. GM has been using this in the Volt and they probably invented it. Also "EcoBoast is nothing more than a turbo with DI which GM has been using on their engines a good 3years before Ford except GM never gave it a name. Most people think Ford's Sync is superior to GM's Onstar. That's a joke! OnStar Mylink does all what Fords Sync does plus things Ford can only dream of doing.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Cadillac, 2008 Solstice,

Thanks for putting those videos up. I enjoyed watching them. When I'm pulling a trailer, I don't care what badge is on the front of the truck. I just want to avoid the white knuckle, abated breath, heart in the throat deal. Brakes with more than enough capacity are just about right.
    It looks to me as though all three truck manufacturers in the HD DRW segment are fighting for the lead.
    We benefit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al465 View Post
    Ford lately has been doing a lot of bragging. This is not the first competition that the HD Silverado has beaten the Ford HD truck. Ford's defense is "hey we sell more trucks than GM". On TV I've seen Ford brag about the shutter used behind the grill ,on some of their cars making you think they invented it. GM has been using this in the Volt and they probably invented it. Also "EcoBoast is nothing more than a turbo with DI which GM has been using on their engines a good 3years before Ford except GM never gave it a name. Most people think Ford's Sync is superior to GM's Onstar. That's a joke! OnStar Mylink does all what Fords Sync does plus things Ford can only dream of doing.
    GM needs to brag more. Sitting on the sidelines and whining about Ford bragging doesn't help them out at all. How are people supposed to know what you are doing if you aren't bragging? I welcome GM bragging about how awesome a CTS-V is. I welcome GM bragging about how awesome their new HD's are. I welcome GM bragging about the volt.

GM doesn't do enough bragging. It's called promotion! What good is having all this cool stuff if people dont know about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Arcuri View Post
    Thanks for putting those videos up. I enjoyed watching them. When I'm pulling a trailer, I don't care what badge is on the front of the truck. I just want to avoid the white knuckle, abated breath, heart in the throat deal. Brakes with more than enough capacity are just about right.
    It looks to me as though all three truck manufacturers in the HD DRW segment are fighting for the lead.
    We benefit.
    Pretty much... competition always improves the breed. At the rate in which the big 3 HD's are improving, Nissan and Yota will never be able to crack this particular segment.
    IMPORTED FROM DETROIT

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

YoU can look at any towing test you want in the HD Shootout on PUTC.com and the GM basically wins them all...So its not just an altitude thing.
    "What about that "best all-around subcompact car" business? Yeah, we're gonna say it: The Chevy Sonic – manual or auto – is just that. You heard it, Fiesta fanatics"

-Inside line.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I don't think that GM is getting the right amount of viewers watching these youtube videos. I think they are hoping that people will connect these videos to their facebook and twitter sites. The "rumble in the rockies" only had 25000 hits. I think we should connect them to our social sites to help them out!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

The GM trucks did not have the lowest gear ratio available in that test. That's been mentioned time and again. The 6.2L Max Tow package was not selected.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information