GM Inside News Forum banner

County of Ventura Takes First Delivery of New Chevrolet Tahoe PPV

7K views 28 replies 25 participants last post by  napolron 
#1 ·
Police patrol fleet will soon be all-Tahoe.
GM
December 18, 2014

DETROIT – The County of Ventura (Calif.) is one of the first fleets to take delivery of the 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe PPV and they will soon be used by the county sheriff’s department while on patrol, Chevrolet announced today.

Once the existing Ford Crown Victorias and Dodge Chargers are phased out, the County of Ventura’s patrol fleet will be comprised solely of Chevrolet Tahoe PPVs, starting with 25 by the end of this year with more to be phased in during 2015.

“The safety and ergonomics of the 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe PPV are the key reasons for the sheriff’s department and our fleet operations team choosing this vehicle to replace their current patrol vehicles,” said Peter Bednar, County of Ventura Fleet Operations manager. “The visibility from the vehicle allows deputies to better spot incidents and react faster.”

For the first time, the Tahoe PPV is offered with 4-wheel-drive (4WD) capability. Tahoe PPV remains the only full-size, body-on-frame truck-based product on the market.

Off to a strong start, more than 6,500 Tahoe PPVs have been ordered since March when the vehicle was made available to police agencies and fleets.

Full article available at link.

See less See more
#4 ·
Ahh...Ventura...The stomping grounds where I grew up.

They have plenty police there and they are always visible. I'm sure they will be even more so once they're sporting these handsome Tahoes!

#28 · (Edited)
I saw a truckload of Z06's coming up from Kentucky yesterday. Couldn't see much since they were completely wrapped but that wrapping job told me they were Z06's.

But on topic, that is one gorgeous police vehicle. Our Sheriff's department got Tahoes last year so I know I won't be seeing any brown 2015's rolling around, but our city police may be getting some.

#13 ·
And yet the Caprice was reportedly deemed by most department too expensive to own and operate. ��
These are expensive but they offer a lot of space and utility.

I talked to local police about their Charger and they said the miss the room of the Crown Vic.
FHP hates their Chargers. Taller troopers can't fit and some of them spend more time in the maintenance garage than on the highway.

#12 ·
The police departments around where I live have been taken over by a lot of Explorers. If you see a white Explorer, there is about a 50% chance it is a police vehicle or a government vehicle of some kind. I know of one Chevrolet SUV police car and it is used to carry the scales to weigh tractor trailers and 18 wheelers away from permanent scales.

#17 ·
Are these different from the "Fire Chief" Tahoes that have been here for over a month?

#24 ·
If those are 2015 models, then no. Fire departments are government fleet customers, just like police departments.

Haven't seen any law enforcement owned Tahoes here yet. San Francisco seems to be buying up every new Taurus it can get, and the CHP seemingly went from all Chargers to all Explorers seemingly overnight.
Ford has cornered the market in my area. City cops get Tauruses, Sheriff's deputies get Explorers.

I'm still waiting for this to reach production, myself:
It's taken some time, but the new K2XX SUVs are growing on me. I didn't pay much attention to the Tahoe Black when it was first shown, but it looks great with a bit of a suspension drop.

#22 ·
Chargers are used in our town with a sprinkling of the old Tahoe body style. This past year they traded in their existing Chargers for new ones. They said they were trading them at 70K instead of 100K. They were running Crown Vics until they went out of production, but apparently they like the Chargers.

The neighboring village uses Explorers. I haven't seen any of the new Tahoes yet.

They are nice looking but the chrome strip around the back side glass has to go. The black ones look like hearses, especially the Suburbans.

On a similar note, the NYS troopers have been testing the Caprice, Charger and Taurus out to see which one will replace their fleet. They have had the vehicles on display all over for the past year or so and I make it a point to ask how the results are coming. As of this past summer I was told the Caprice is out and it is down to the Charger and Taurus, but from most that I have talked to, they greatly prefer the Charger.

#23 ·
It sure did take GM a long time to start producing the PPV, must have wanted to fill the pipeline up with 2015.5s.
We are seeing a lot of Tauruses in charleston. It is interesting that a fwd based police car would gain acceptance after the issues with the fwd impala s. I truly believe that when GM puts out most of their ppvs that they do the minimum to make them so. Ford tends to do heavier duty parts. front wheel bearing failures on Impala ppvs are legendary.

#25 ·
Our local city/county metro police just decided to go with Caprices to replace the crown vics after testing different makes over the last year here in Savannah but the county sheriff dept is going primarily with Tahoe's to replace their fleet.

I spoke with a LEO a while back and he was one of the few chosen to do the test review and he preferred the Caprice because of handling, interior space, and power plus overall reliability.

The GSP has chargers but they are not in love with them but they must complete the original contract before they can start purchasing Caprices instead. This was told to me by the same LEO who has friends inside the GSP and also trains with them from time to time.

#29 ·
Chicago is moving away from the tahoes, comparable price and fuel economy might seem like the only metric but start swingin that big SUV around city streets and traffic and you'll see why they're liking the explorers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.