GM Inside News Forum banner

Consumer Reports drives the Camaro Convertible

5K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  Boi350Sierra 
#1 ·

#5 ·
Cut the top off a Clydesdale and you still don't have a Pony Car. You have Mimi (from Drew Carey) in a Tutu. This car proves that Government Motors is clueless - this thing is 500 pounds too heavy for the market when it was released and is now 750 pounds too fat for today's market. Can't wait to see the next version - bet they make it into a station wagon.

#9 ·
I can't believe that in another thread today somebody here was telling us the V6 was the best way to get the Camaro convertable and here CR is telling us the V8 and manual trans is the way to go. I thought CR didn't like performance cars?

#10 ·
I can't believe that in another thread today somebody here was telling us the V6 was the best way to get the Camaro convertable and here CR is telling us the V8 and manual trans is the way to go. I thought CR didn't like performance cars?

That's a myth CR is like all the other auto rags/websites, meaning they worship lightweight small cars/sports cars with stick shifts and tiny motors and basically think any other vehicle type is useless garbage. I wouldn't take their comments about "liking" this car too serioulsy. Next week they'll probably be talking about how much they hate it and prefer a Miata instead.

About the Camaro, although I still prefer the coupe, the ragtop looks much better than I thought it would. This is a SEXY car no matter how you slice it! :yup:

#13 ·
Because the editor in chief's wife is a Toyota executive, do you think that might have some influence?

I stopped reading Consumer Reports around 2002 when all of their predictions about the cars I owned were basically wrong. It convinced me more than ever to stay with one of the Detroit 3.

#16 ·
Maybe I saw a different video, I didn't see any GM-trashing in this.

Looks like CR has taken a page out of Jeremy Clarkson's book regarding smokin' 'em. :drive:

#19 ·
Looks like a 4000 pound turd to me. GM needs to learn that a sports car needs to be light. This pile of lard weights about 500 pounds more than a topless mustang. It even looks like a boat. It may be powerful, and even relatively fast, but I am highly doubtful that it is all that much fun to drive.

#21 ·
First of all, this ain't no stupid sports car. Its an AMERICAN muscle/pony car, and that lightweight crap ain't never been what OUR performance cars are all about. They were about speed/big motor power, period, end of story. Don't like it? Too bad. Nobody ain't stopping you from going to read about Miatas. Second of all, this big, bad, bold, sexy car outsells ALL them light import sports cars, so it seems to me that all the General needs to do is ignore folks who think like you do and keep making cars like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.