GM Inside News Forum banner

Confirmed: 2019 T1XX Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra Retain Steel Beds

9K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  Ed753 
#1 ·
CONFIRMED: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra 1500 to Retain Steel Bed – VIDEO
Spy Video Proves Cargo Box Keeps Steel Construction
TruckTrend

June 22, 2017

It’s been an open secret for some time now that General Motors’ 2019 half-ton pickups would make the switch to aluminum bodywork, following Ford’s bold move in 2015 with the F-150. But remember last year, when Chevrolet released a series of videos touting the strength of its all-steel truck beds relative to the F-150’s aluminum box? That had us scratching our heads, wondering if the company would shoot itself (and its marketing team) in the foot in 2019 with an aluminum-bodied pickup.

Well, now we have an answer: The 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 will retain steel construction for their cargo boxes, justifying that ad campaign somewhat. As proved by the video embedded below, the cargo box of this Silverado mule is magnetic, which all but guarantees it’s not made of aluminum. (Also, we have to hand it to the videographer, who was bold enough to run up to this fleet of test vehicles like this.)

#4 ·
I think it is a good idea too. I know a lot of people do get bed liners and this will be a non-issue, but I do see a lot of trucks without liners. Do I think there will be a rampant situation where Ford beds look like Swiss cheese? No. But it does look like it won't necessarily be unheard of so see a hole in one either. Steel beds are the way to go.

#6 ·
Did the Protec bed have steel for the bed bottom?

#15 ·
Given the bed is already the lightest part of the truck and I can't imagine the F150 is worth **** in the snow without 4wd, Perhaps they are doing the cab in aluminum and the bed in steel or aluminum / steel combo. Keeping some weight in the rear is a good thing.

Also looks like the wheel wells will be very 1st gen Colorado esque.

#18 ·
Given the bed is already the lightest part of the truck and I can't imagine the F150 is worth **** in the snow without 4wd, Perhaps they are doing the cab in aluminum and the bed in steel or aluminum / steel combo. Keeping some weight in the rear is a good thing.
I can't believe you said that aloud, what do you think the weight difference is on the rear wheels one vs. the other, especially if it is just the floor or inner-box.

Ford's have always been heavier; frame, rear-end, etc. additionally, a lot more weight on the rear in EXT and Crew Cabs than Regular Cab.

Oh, big deal, GM might go to aluminium body parts.

I want to know what size engines they will turbo and how many of the horsepowers and and torques they will exhibit.

Also, long after Ford.

Where's Ed?
Sorry, I've been around just not as much, Trade Show Summit and after-party Wednesday, Industry Council meeting Thursday, then 2-days of catch-up work rolled into Friday, not to mention our HOA meeting one night and cutting the lawn another. I'll try and do better.

I want to what the exhaust note is like! :hyper:

If the rumors of a 4.5 Diesel are true, it could be "Diesel done right!" too. The Ecodiesel is a joke. 3.0 Powerstroke appears to be not much better.
I don't think F150 or Ram are selling them as the mother of all stump-pullers, hence the "Eco" name on the Ram.

i guess it depends on what you want it for, but wouldn't a stronger approach take sales from GM's already meager HD sales?

#23 · (Edited)
I saw the first part of your post, I just don't see the bigger diesel happening...yet.

On Ram and Ford choosing the 3.0 diesel,
I think it goes to low gas prices, the large group of crew cabs that never see a tow hitch
verses the number of 1500 trucks that actually do regular max towing and the desire for
manufacturers like Ram, Ford and GM to upsize those customers to their HD trucks.

I think the clue is understanding why Ford chose the 3.0 over the 4.4 and why Ram chose the
3.0 Ecodiesel over the Cummins 5.0 it was researching, it probably goes to who the intended
customers using their trucks for occasional light towing and mostly passenger hauling.

Sorry, this is getting off topic and probably better discussed in the diesel thread...

#24 ·
performance wise the 5.0L "ISV" is NETHER powerful-enough and NOT efficient-enough and becomes a "headline-less" engine option
most people that "max tow" would ether move into a HEMI/ECOBOOST OR UPSIZE

I could see the 4.5L / 5.0L "ISV" sized unit as an "efficiency" engine in the 2500 as the current engines have gotten "stupid" with power ratings

#26 ·
Ram reportedly dropped plans for the 5.0 Cummins because that engine was only getting around 23 mpg.
For the reasons stated above by richmond2000 and NoStopN, I suspect that the mid sized diesel capacity
is no man's land in a 1500 truck...given US gasoline prices and the availability of V8 and Ecoboost engines.
The other part of it is the premium for the diesel could be as much as the 6.7 Powerstroke or 6.6 Duramax,
the economics of the HD2500s and the protection of existing gasoline engnes probably rules them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.