GM Inside News Forum banner

Colorado/Canyon Duramax Diesel Engine Production Goes Job 1

11K views 69 replies 47 participants last post by  ronaldspain 
#1 ·
Wards Auto

July 6, 2015

Article Quotes:

GM Thailand begins production of 2.8L Duramax 4-cyl. turbodiesel engines slated for export to North America for use in U.S. and Canadian versions of the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize pickup trucks.

Speaking at the event to celebrate the start of production for the North American-bound engines, GM Thailand and Chevrolet Sales Thailand Managing Director Marcos Purty says exporting the engines to the U.S. increases the Thai output and improves GM Powertrain Thailand’s economies of scale.

Engine shipments from Rayong to North America will start in the third quarter. Installation in the Colorado and Canyon at GM’s plant in Wentzville, MO, will begin later this fall.

The 2.8L is based on the same Duramax installed in the Colorado pickup and Trailblazer SUV available in Thailand and the region, says Watcharin Sayamrattanakit, GM Powertrain Thailand manufacturing director.

“This is solid proof and recognition that our product, built right here in Thailand to the highest standards, is of world-class quality and good enough to be in demand in one of the most competitive and demanding automotive markets in the world,” Sayamrattanakit says in a statement.

U.S. and Canadian customers will get the second-generation Duramax engines, which were engineered in Europe and the U.S. Because of emissions requirements and operating conditions in the U.S. and Canada, the export Duramax 2.8L will produce 181 hp and 369 lb.-ft. (500 Nm) of torque.

The engine features a water-cooled, variable-geometry turbocharger and common-rail fuel delivery system capable of injection pressures of up to 29,000 psi (2,000 bar). It also features an electronic engine control module fully developed by GM.

A balance shaft counter-rotates to cancel out vibrations and enhance smoother and quieter operation at all engine speeds, GM says.

See less See more
#3 ·
OMG what takes so long for this to be implemented? It just does not make sense to me. Other than the fact the truck is selling well and they do not want more demand and a larger share of the market.

#4 ·
And then there is the price. The Cruze diesel works out to a $ 2,390 option. I am going to guess the Colorado diesel option will come in at about $ 3,000 to $3,500. Like the Cruze, it will probably only be initially available on higher line models (Cruze = LT2 package).

#22 ·
Interesting info on the balance shaft.
They're practically par for the course these days. The previous Colorado/Canyon 2.8/2.9 gas 4-cylinder (& 5-cylinder) had them.

I heard the little diesel is pushing 37 MPG highway.
We're talking US MPGs, not Imperial. 37 Imp MPGs is 30.8 US MPG.

#16 ·
Well GM just announced a huge round of investments to keep NA workers employed. So...

And it's built in Thailand because that's where the 2.8L's already built. It doesn't make sense to start production of them here, especially when GM isn't sure what demand will be like.

#23 ·
I hope the twins get well over 30 US mpg highway.
Otherwise Dodge with the Eco Diesel will have a field day with this.
Would anyone buy a smaller truck just for 2 mpg?*

(* excluding prius-driving fanatics who don't post on this forum......or do they?)

#24 ·
I'm not expecting more than 32 mpg US. Lots of people want a Colorado sized truck just because the full size trucks don't fit in their garages and they have no need for one. Or maybe they want the narrow truck for going down trails, who knows. Lots of people don't want a full size for some reason. Personally I'd get whatever got the best economy if I didn't need the ability of a full size. I've got a large garage however. I do like how I have lots of room around the Cruze in the garage. The wagon and Suburban are a tighter fit. A full size crew cab would be VERY tight but would fit. My neighbor has a 3 car garage but it isn't real deep and parks his extended cab Silverado with the 6.5' box outside because he can't walk past the front of it if in the garage. They need it to tow a horse trailer otherwise he might prefer a shorter truck as well.

#27 · (Edited)
Just some very rough numbers.

The Ram 3.0 Diesel 4x2 is rated 20mpg city, 28mpg hwy and 23mpg combined US EPA.

In Australia based on the ADR testing the combined fuel economy number for a 4x2 diesel Colorado 6 speed auto is 8.8L/100kms or 27mpg US.

I'm not sure how the Australian ADR compares to the US EPA but below was the closest, apples to apples comparison I could find.

Holden Cruze 1.8L Auto is 7.4L/100kms combined which is 32mpg US.
US EPA rates 2015 Chevy Cruze 1.8L Auto at 27mpg combined (22 city and 35 hwy).

So around 15% difference.
Edit: Also did a 1.4T Barnia and Sonic Auto and they were 13% different.

The North American Colorado is supposed to get an updated version of this engine so numbers could change even more.

But assuming a 15% difference between ADR and US EPA that would put the Colorado Diesel close to the Ram Diesel in fuel economy. However as stated above improvements to the engine might bump it up over the Ram a little bit but not likely by much.

My guess will be for a 4x2 auto 2.8TDI Colorado will be 22 city 30 hwy 25 combined US EPA.

#37 ·
Under ECE tests, the Extra urban Cycle for the Duramax 2.8 is equivalent to US 33mpg,
Generally, the Urban cycle is roughly 10% more than US EPA highway, so I'm betting 30 mpg
Which will put Colorado front and center..... bear in mind that's with a 6-speed auto too.

#38 ·
i am not going to be able to afford them new, cant wait till they pop up on the used market!

#41 ·
Factor the 4×4 Colorado crew cab with the short bed, weights around 4,330 lbs. Full size trucks are going to easily be 500 to 1000 lbs heavier. The Ram ED is porky, as it eats into GVRW, and depending on configuration can leave the owner with well under 1000 lbs payload with a curb weight in excess of 6000 lbs. The Colorado will likely gain curb weight with the addition of the 2.8. Will be interesting to see how much weight will be gained with the 2.8 in the Colorado. The Ram gains 370'ish lbs with ED option.

#52 ·
When are people going to learn that buying a new diesel solely for fuel economy savings is not going to even come close to breaking even for over half a decade.

Using Albany, NY fuel prices and 15kmi a year of driving:

Annual fuel costs:
87 Octane: $2.74/gallon @ 24MPG = 1,712.50
Diesel Fuel: $2.94/gallon @ 34MPG = $1,297.06
Diesel Savings: $415/yr.

Assuming a $2995 premium for the diesel motor, you'd need to wait over 7 years just to break even. You buy the diesel for towing, not for saving money. And then there's the added cost of maintenance (adding DEF) and the inevitable repairs that will cost you 3x as much in parts to fix things if you do choose to keep your truck for over those 7 years. They are also really slow, 180HP in a 4500lb truck is going to be a dog. Don't be fooled into thinking diesels are "fast," they just feel that way because of the torque. This truck will probably run an 18 second quarter mile at 80mph...

#58 ·
Increase in insurance due to a diesel? Yea, that's a new one.

Saying that you won't get the purchase price back is a little absurd and its a horrible argument based on other diesel equipped vehicles. You can't use KBB or NADA but what they actually sell for. Which, is a dumb argument as well. Buying a vehicle and listing the resale value in the top ten is just the dumbest thing ever.

#61 ·
Not because it is a diesel but because it is a more expensive vehicle in general. The insurance companies won't give you the same price for insurance if it is more expensive. Why would they give you the same rate to insure a $35k vehicle as well as a $38k vehicle, it will cost them more to fix or replace the more expensive option.

You won't get the whole purchase price back, go check what they are listed for sale as. BMW, VW all the diesels are close to the gas versions. HD trucks are a little different as they are hard to come by in gas versions. But when you do it is a couple thousand dollars difference, not the $8k when new.

This is a new market here, everyone who tries to make an argument about diesels and their experience in most cases (unless you have lived and towed with a mid size diesel over seas) have to base it on a small sedan tdi they had or what the HD truck diesel experience/performance.

BTW, NADA and KBB are a good starting point. I guarantee when you look to see what to list your car/truck for sale or its trade in you start there...

Tyler

#60 · (Edited)
EPA rated .... WAG..... for 2WD / 6AT is in the range of ..... well shoot, I'm way ahead for the year - so I'm gonna' go hard .....

24 or 25 City

27 or 28 Combined

32 or 33 Highway

4WD is a bit more variable ..... depends on what how they want to play it - and thereby set it up.

So....

4WD 6AT....

22 23 24 City

25 26 27 Combined

29 30 31 Highway

In both cases , mean to include some combination of the those numbers for each rating.

#64 ·
Can anyone tell me if the diesel trucks suspension is different from the gas?

All I know is a BDS lift kit (they have one for the gas twins), either Banks/Bully Dog bolt on's ( if they choose to make kits for the twins) , with some armor on the front, back, undercarriage, and sides, not to mention lights, and of course a winch......thats my kind of vehicle.

Just realized that I described the prototype ZR2....😞. JUST MAKE THE ZR2 GM!!!!!

Reactions: mbukukanyau
#68 ·
I want to see what the diesel will do when the new 10 speeds arrive. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.