GM Inside News Forum banner

China: Chevy to revive Cavalier nameplate

9K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  usayjim2 
#1 ·
China: Chevrolet will revive the name 'Cavalier'
New compact model below the Cruze
GMSilverado/GM Inside News
April 26, 2016

SAIC-GM is preparing a new compact model for the Chevrolet brand which, according to a leak reported by the Chinese media, will be called 'Cavalier'. This implies the resurrection of the identification plate used for decades in the United States for the compact model of the brand, that he ended his career in 2005.

General Motors made a similar move in 2011, when he resurrected the name 'Cobalt' - coincidentally the model that replaced the Cavalier in North America- for a model of the Chevrolet brand designed by its Brazilian subsidiary.

The model is a new development, and although it is not clear what plans GM are very likely to be focused exclusively on the Chinese market. It is a car of an intermediate size between Sonic and Cruze with discreet appearance, whose forms and aesthetic elements are in tune with the latest Chevrolet design language.

Ítem​
Sonic​
New Cavalier​
New Cruze​
Overall length (in / mm)
173.1 / 4397​
178.8 / 4544​
183.7 / 4666​
Overall width (in / mm)
68.3 / 1735​
70.0 / 1779​
70.6 / 1795​
Overall height (in / mm)
59.7 / 1516​
57.7 / 1467​
57.4 / 1458​
Wheelbase (in / mm)
99.4 / 2525​
102.3 / 2600​
106.3 / 2700​

There are no details on its platform, but its dimensions seem to reveal that it is based on the old Daewoo Lacetti, like the Buick Excelle... has exactly the same wheelbase. According to the leak, it will be offered with a 1.5L engine that has an output of 109 hp.

It is expected that this new Cavalier goes on sale later this year in China.

Original article for GMI. Source: Autohome.com.cn

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Chevrolet will revive the name 'Cavalier'

I apologize before hand, in case you find grammatical flaws... As some colleagues know, I'm from Venezuela and not speak English.

Here is another photo where you can see the details of a better equipped version:

#19 · (Edited)
Way to reuse that Gen 1 Cruze tooling. It's a smart move to make, especially for China
This isn't even Gen-1 Cruze tooling, it's a reskinned Lacetti / Optra !

For some reason, I seem to have it in my mind that Chevrolet in China has lots of overlapping products on the bottom end of their portfolio.
The Spark is gone, leaving the very cheap Sail to slot beneath the Aveo (Sonic), so there's no overlap at the bottom end. The space between Sonic and Cruze... Cruze and Malibu... Malibu and Impala, for example, generally ignored in the west, are filled in China. So it's not so much overlap, per se, as it is squeezing models into every nook and cranny of the market. Chevrolet's Chinese sedan lineup will be:

Sail
Sail 3
Aveo (Sonic)
Cavalier
Cruze Classic (outgoing Cruze)
Cruze (the WTF? China-only model)
Malibu (outgoing model)
Malibu XL (new 'bu)

The Cavalier will fit into the Chinese lineup where the Cobalt fits in Brazil.

nadepalma said:
GM already has Baojun selling some of these "low end" products; are they stepping on the toes of their own corporate cousin by offering a product like the Cavalier?
Remember, SGMW isn't simply an arm of GM like Opel or Holden. It's more akin to GM's part-ownership of Isuzu and Suzuki in the '80s and '90s. SGMW develops products both with GM and independently of GM. Also keep in mind that China is a very regionally-oriented market, meaning two products in the same price bracket aren't necessarily direct or even indirect competitors. Chevrolets, of all price ranks, are aimed at first-tier cities, while the likes of Baojun are aimed at second- and third-tier cities. More or less... :)

You should see Volkswagen's lineup in China. Lots of overlap and they still have models in production that are 3 and 4 generations old! Heck, most of the taxis are "updated" versions of the Passat/Quantum that was sold here in the '80's.
In the past two years, a good number of those ancient models have been purged from the lineups of western manufacturers, with cars like the original Santana and the dreadful Chevy Epica cleared from the books. Hyundai, however and still selling umpteen generations of Elantras and FAW will gladly sell you any one of three generations of Mazda6...

#6 ·

Great find.

IMHO, the front end is attractive enough in a very restrained kind of way, but the rear end looks like an afterthought and less-than-stylish.

Interesting that they'd reuse the name AND have another product slotted below the Cruze.

For some reason, I seem to have it in my mind that Chevrolet in China has lots of overlapping products on the bottom end of their portfolio. Though some of the contemporary products seem more "plush/luxurious/etc" for those who want to spend the money, others are seemingly "basic/low-end" (such as the Cavalier). I wonder how this affects any "image" or "brand perception" of the Chevy marque in China?

GM already has Baojun selling some of these "low end" products; are they stepping on the toes of their own corporate cousin by offering a product like the Cavalier?

#9 ·

For some reason, I seem to have it in my mind that Chevrolet in China has lots of overlapping products on the bottom end of their portfolio. Though some of the contemporary products seem more "plush/luxurious/etc" for those who want to spend the money, others are seemingly "basic/low-end" (such as the Cavalier). I wonder how this affects any "image" or "brand perception" of the Chevy marque in China?
You should see Volkswagen's lineup in China. Lots of overlap and they still have models in production that are 3 and 4 generations old! Heck, most of the taxis are "updated" versions of the Passat/Quantum that was sold here in the '80's.

#7 ·
odd to revive the name. Cavalier was the greatest display of cost cutting and cheapness of old GM.

#21 ·
Fantastic observation Ed.
The Cavalier does look very upmarket and stylish, perhaps even a bit trendy and millennial.
The US version is one of my favorite antique vehicles, not sure how it worked without door handles?
Is that the GM cost-cutting everyone talks about?

#20 ·
I'm 50, at 10yo in the mid 70's, I'd ride my bike to the Chevy dealer and lust over the cars, haven't stopped since then. Seen GM up and down, but somehow designed decent looking vehicles "Most" of the time. This year the Silverado front end redesign was a home run, the first Chevy truck I've really liked in 20 years. (I've purchased 5 brand new GMCs, 1 Brand New Mazda 3 and 1 Brand New Nissan Altima during that period), Chevy finally got a decent grill design, They have really well built cars, But now designing all of their cars from the Impala, Malibu, Cruze, Cavalier with a hatchback looking design with a roof line that stops at the taillights, very little deck lid on back, More like the Prius all the time. If it increased MPGs the much OK, but thats not the case. I know most of you will think I'm being critical, but I don't want GM designing 1997 Ford Taurus clones.

#22 ·
Enlarged greenhouse , better sightlines than the new Cruze , it will be a very good seller IF the quality of the components and interior furnishings aren't bargain basement quality . Frankly , though , GM will hit this market segment on the money in the Asian market , in North America , however , it really could use a SUBARU type sedan,coupe and wagon....with the higher ground clearance AWD setup in the 107 to 110 inch wheelbase segment , this will be a big hit with the hot CUV/SUV marketplace buyers . Easier slide-in seating and safer driving in inclement weather with the advantage of a bit longer front and rear overhang enabling a more car-like styling . Even Cadillac could take advantage of this segment with the ATS type wheelbase with a enlarged greenhouse front to back !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.