Chevy's Hot SUV: Buyers Snapping Up The Last Of The Avalanches

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy's Hot SUV: Buyers Snapping Up The Last Of The Avalanches

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Chevy's Hot SUV: Buyers Snapping Up The Last Of The Avalanches

Automotive News

January 14, 2013

Article Quotes:

DETROIT -- Sales of General Motors' aging pickups have lagged lately. But one long-in-the-tooth nameplate is hot: the Chevrolet Avalanche.

Sales of the outgoing pricey pickup in 2012 were up 19 percent, to 23,995. Sales of GM's full-sized Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups rose 2 percent for the year.

Dealers say that some Avalanche owners -- a particularly loyal fan base -- are eager to buy the quirky truck's final model-year version. Production of the 2013 Avalanche and its Cadillac Escalade EXT sibling will end within a few months in Silao, Mexico, a GM spokesman says. Next month will be the last chance for dealers to order the Avalanche.

"I think there has been some resurgence because people know it's the last year for it," says Tim Colussy, co-owner of Colussy Chevrolet in Bridgeville, Pa., near Pittsburgh. In 2012, his Avalanche sales totaled 16, up from 12 in 2011.

"It's got a pretty loyal following, so people who've bought them in the past are trading in and up to a new one," he says.

The Avalanche, launched in 2001 as a 2002 model, features unusual styling and a midgate, a cargo door at the rear of the passenger cabin that allows the bed to extend into the cab. Its lofty price tag -- $36,975 for a base 2013, including shipping -- make it a low-volume, high-margin seller for most dealers.

Enhancements that GM added for the final model year, as well as a lower price, have stoked demand. A 2013 Black Diamond edition includes body-colored bed surrounds and a unique badge, as well as the addition of a rear camera, rear park assist, power adjustable pedals, fog lamps and remote start as standard equipment.

"We knew there is a core group of buyers who really like the Avalanche, so this special edition was partly an incentive to get them off the couch to go buy one," the spokesman says.

Martin NeSmith, owner of two Chevrolet-Buick-GMC stores in Georgia, will miss the Avalanche -- not just in his showroom. He drives one as his personal vehicle.

"It's a niche market, but it's always been a good seller for us," NeSmith says. "It suits me where a Tahoe doesn't. You can use it for work or pleasure."

NeSmith understands GM's decision to discontinue the low-volume pickup but believes "it's a terrible mistake." He says: "Everyone who's got an Avalanche loves it."

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Re: Chevy's Hot SUV: Buyers Snapping Up The Last Of The Avalanches

A solid money-make for GM, should the Avalanche return, perhaps it would be better to base it off the new Colorado platform.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC rlhmarine's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    ZL1 2013 Black

I don't see the problem since its' based off the suburban suv, low volume should not be an issue with concerns to the higher sales that the suburban offers off this platform.

The Avalanche gave GM the first modern day pickup with rear coil springs well before the latest ram pickup decided to use it and another innovation that GM introduced on the Avalanche that ram decided to also copy, the pickup box side rail lockable storage compartments. When you have a better idea other's will emulate.

I think it's a big mistake to not bring back the Avalanche on the next gen suv platform because it is in my opinion the best riding truck GM makes.
    Last edited by rlhmarine; 01-18-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Cruze 2LT

I wish that I could get one. Stupid 100 mile daily drive!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rlhmarine View Post
    I don't see the problem since its' based off the suburban suv, low volume should not be an issue with concerns to the higher sales that the suburban offers off this platform.
    Completely agree with you but yet GM will keep the Regal around?!?!

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Fusion Orange VUE

I had heard a rumor over a year ago that the GMC Canyon was going to be a mini avalanche! Would be cool IMO.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 funkypunnk's Avatar
    Thanks

Best truck or SUV I ever owned, wish I still had one but the wife thought it was too "trucky" so we got the Burb instead.
    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

2008 Suburban Z71
    2008 Pontiac G8
    1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport
    1966 Pontiac Catalina Ventura Convertible
    1960 Buick LeSabre Convertible

Banned
    Thanks

Take the plastic stuff off the back and you have the most beautiful Silverado Chevrolet never built. Had that been the Silverado, I would Not have bought my Super Duty. I would have bought this instead. I venture to say many who were turned off by the by the ugly Silverado we got instead and passed on it would have bought this in a split second. Not even Ford's F-150 looks this good and it's no doubt the best looking truck on the road. Ford would have lost thousands of sales to this Chevrolet.

Stupidity was running full force at GM when the decision was made to not have this be the Silverado.

They also need whoever did those gorgeous clean wheelwells to redo the next Silverado. He/She obviously knew how to make them look nice. That's how it's done. No tacky gaudy fender-bed bulges anywhere in sight.
    Last edited by 454SSChevy; 01-18-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Sierra Denali, 2003 Yukon

This is such a shame. I'm so torn between picking up one of these and waiting for a new Silverado. I just don't have the cash right now, and I like the new trucks. If a K2XX Avalanche was available, my decision would already be final. Stupid bean counters.
    REMEMBER GM - GOOD ENOUGH, ISN'T!!!

"We expect taxpayers will get back all the money my administration has invested in GM," Obama said.

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Wouldn't that be SUT?
    Have sales for GM not seen in THIS POST? Email Me

Go Tigers! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ

I've got a 2007 LTZ for my company vehicle and it's great! Very versatile. Have fit 30 wheels in the back with panels removed and midgate open. Only thing I don't like (aside from the horrible mpgs) is the fact that water leaks into the bed area every time it rains.

Can't believe they are discontinuing this truck, though. I see them everywhere around here.
    Current: 2014 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ sedan
    Former: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ
    Former: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT (still kicking myself for selling it)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

Yes- the Avalanche will be sorely missed. GM did a great job evolving this truv. It got a little pricey in it's later years, and that was one of the reasons I dismissed it from our last purchase. I think GM is doing itself a great disservice by not continuing it on with the next gen. Oh well...RIP Avalanche!!
    Get used to more.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

The Avalanche is dead because of the new CAFE rules. It is classified as a truck, but has a higher standard becauseof its wheelbase.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rlhmarine View Post

The Avalanche gave GM the first modern day pickup with rear coil springs well before the latest ram pickup decided to use it and another innovation that GM introduced on the Avalanche that ram decided to also copy, the pickup box side rail lockable storage compartments. When you have a better idea other's will emulate.

I think it's a big mistake to not bring back the Avalanche on the next gen suv platform because it is in my opinion the best riding truck GM makes.
    GM first came out with coil springs for the their trucks in 1960 and made that way through 1972. I consider that part of the modern era, but you may not. They essentially the developed the truck arm suspension used in NASCAR still today.

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTA trains and buses

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    NeSmith understands GM's decision to discontinue the low-volume pickup but believes "it's a terrible mistake." He says: "Everyone who's got an Avalanche loves it."
    There is no understatement in stating that Chevy Avalanche is one of GM's finest vehicles to date. In fact, I'd aver that Avalanche is the single best light truck in GM's U.S. lineup for model year 2013.

Combine the Avalanche's versatility, style, ride, reliability, and E85 flex-fuel capability with its class leading scores in Consumer Reports' road tests and J.D. Power's most recent APEAL study, and this product has the elements of a winner regardless of the sales numbers.
    Last edited by roy219; 01-18-2013 at 09:44 AM.
    My modes of transportation: CTA 'L' & buses, Metra, Pace bus, rental cars (usually GM), taxicabs, bicycling, and walking.
    Member of the "I will never purchase a new car" club.
    Get the facts about ethanol and biofuels in the USA!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information